Devilstrand – treat a fungus like a fungus!

Started by Samsonzi, May 21, 2015, 05:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samsonzi

Devilstrand is described in Rimworld as a fungus, so this begs the question ââ,¬â€œ why does it require light to grow?

Fungi are not plants, and require different conditions for optimal growth. Plants develop through photosynthesis using sunlight, whereas fungi derive all of their energy and growth materials from their growth medium, through biochemical decomposition processes.
Which leads on to my suggestion, make the growth medium the important factor in the cultivation of Devilstrand, not light.

Just to clarify, Iââ,¬â,,¢m not suggesting this change because Iââ,¬â,,¢m big on realism in games, but more as another use for dead people besides cannibalism, or as a potential use for spoilt food and desiccated corpses.

My thoughts on how this could play out.

ââ,¬Â¢   Devilstrand requires specific growing conditions (no light, small temperature range) to become a viable crop.
ââ,¬Â¢   Devilstrand can be found growing naturally on graves and corpses, but is very slow growing if the above conditions are not met.
ââ,¬Â¢   Devilstrand Growing Trays can significantly speed up growth.
ââ,¬Â¢   Growing trays need to be researched.
ââ,¬Â¢   Growing trays donââ,¬â,,¢t need electricity.
ââ,¬Â¢   Growing trays require dead bodies as one of their construction materials and are destroyed after one crop, OR
ââ,¬Â¢   Growing trays require hoppers that need to be topped up with human meat, spoilt food desiccated corpses etc.
ââ,¬Â¢   Using dead bodies for constructing trays OR using human meat for the hoppers gives mood penalty.
ââ,¬Â¢   Devilstrand can be found in Ancient tombs within mountains growing on ancient corpses, as a possible reward for discovering a tomb.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Shinzy

I really, really want to see a tomb filled with devilstrand!

ARiA1089

that picture almost looks like the mushrooms killed them for a minute
──▄▀──────────█──
──▄▀───────────█── Careful Kids, he got raided
─▄▀─█───────────█─
█──▄█────────▄──█─
─▀▀─█──█──█──█▄▀
────█──█──█▀▀
────█──█▄▄█
────█──█
────▀▄▄▀

Adamiks

Fungus don't need only animal corpses. Fungus can also grow on dead plants.

NoImageAvailable

+1 this would actually make Devilstrand viable on cold biomes.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Regret

Quick hack that could be fun:
Make corpses spawn Devilstrand spores, they only catch on and grow if they land on a different corpse.
This gives a reason to not bury corpses causing some interesting choices.

kingtyris

Kegereneku

I like the idea of Devilstrand being something different than normal crop, but I think we should avoid needless complication.

My take on it :
- Simply a plant that grow only in the dark.
- Require a very tight temperature range.
This way, regardless if the biome is hot or cold, you need a insulated room with heater and cooler.
No more planting gigantic field in summer biome
No need to make it sooooo slow to grow.

If you want a mechanic to fertilize the ground (muffalo's shit or else), I'd suggest of making it something global. It's always better when a mechanic have multiple usage.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

killer117

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 21, 2015, 02:13:33 PM

Ive found devilstand viable in cold biomes. U have to build a shed outdoors with a dirt floor. Small shed if you want, no real specifics. Put a roof on it, a heater, and a sun lamp. Put in a growing zome a zoiala, constant devilstand production
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: killer117 on May 23, 2015, 10:14:11 AM
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on May 21, 2015, 02:13:33 PM

Ive found devilstand viable in cold biomes. U have to build a shed outdoors with a dirt floor. Small shed if you want, no real specifics. Put a roof on it, a heater, and a sun lamp. Put in a growing zome a zoiala, constant devilstand production

Yeah, except if somewhere within that one year growing period a solar flare hits and your crops freeze to death. Not to mention the electricity required since you need way more than one sun lamp for a decent production.

Rahjital

I found campfires to work rather well for keeping good temperature in prisons and greenhouses during solar flares. I think this suggestion would only make it worse with its tight temperature range requirement.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Rahjital on May 23, 2015, 12:53:38 PM
I found campfires to work rather well for keeping good temperature in prisons and greenhouses during solar flares. I think this suggestion would only make it worse with its tight temperature range requirement.

Campfires only work on boreal and temperate forest biomes, on tundra and ice sheet maps wood is much harder to come by.