Plans for open source?

Started by WMP, December 15, 2013, 10:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WMP

After release full version, Tynan thinking about release RimWorld on opensource?

nickyb

So personally I would say no.  I wouldn't see the need if he implements and supports modding.  There is no reason unless he wants the project to spawn into tons of variants and other games based on his core.

Semmy

The game will have full modding support.

And seeing that the game will be released across different platforms (steam) i don't see how that would be profitable for a studio.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: WMP on December 15, 2013, 10:45:41 AMAfter release full version, Tynan thinking about release RimWorld on opensource?

I can't see why, unless maybe a looong time down the road, he decides to make RimWorld 2 (or some other-named sequel,) or another project altogether, and releasing the source-code to RimWorld could be a useful tactical decision to make vis-a-vis drumming up some notice...

Even then, though, I doubt it.
Raiders must die!

Tynan

I'll probably be using this code for a while, so it's unlikely I'll open it within the next couple years.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

FinKone

Not to bring back a old dead topic - but its a shame.  I'd look forward to learning how you've done so many things in code as a pure learning example.

Tynan

Quote from: FinKone on April 28, 2014, 01:47:13 PM
Not to bring back a old dead topic - but its a shame.  I'd look forward to learning how you've done so many things in code as a pure learning example.

I was actually thinking I would do a partial source release with the game. Just to help modders. It would include a good chunk of the game code for reference, but not enough to compile the game.

sparda666

Quote from: Tynan on April 28, 2014, 01:49:33 PM

I was actually thinking I would do a partial source release with the game. Just to help modders. It would include a good chunk of the game code for reference, but not enough to compile the game.
maybe another book? for code aspect of game design?
Id buy that one too!

Seriously, all textbook writers need to learn from your writing style.

Sion

Quote from: Tynan on April 28, 2014, 01:49:33 PM
Quote from: FinKone on April 28, 2014, 01:47:13 PM

Be careful with this, even if you don't show everything a skilled coder could "easily" (or at least easier) recreate the missing parts, I think something like that happened to Minecraft when Notch did some live stream coding.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

bleedo

Well, unless the final code is obfuscated it's all intermediate language that can be disassembled anyway. Tools like Reflector and Resharper gives you 95% of the code as it was written. That's how I figure out how to use most undocumented APIs. So no need to give away the whole source.

Tynan

Quote from: bleedo on April 29, 2014, 12:42:40 PM
Well, unless the final code is obfuscated it's all intermediate language that can be disassembled anyway. Tools like Reflector and Resharper gives you 95% of the code as it was written. That's how I figure out how to use most undocumented APIs. So no need to give away the whole source.

Well, that's basically my thinking on the source already being pseudo-available. I might as well provide nicely readable and properly (minimally) commented versions of some of it. I really want to do everything possible to help modders.

bleedo

Quote from: Tynan on April 29, 2014, 05:31:36 PM
I might as well provide nicely readable and properly (minimally) commented versions of some of it. I really want to do everything possible to help modders.

I never managed too keep a nice and fresh XML doc in the source updated, but that would help a lot while using the object explorer and intellitip.
We wouldn't have to disassemble as much.
Have to complement you on your naming though,most of the code makes sense after just one read.

I don't presume you have 99% unit test coverage and could share the tests? ;)

Tynan

Quote from: bleedo on April 29, 2014, 06:44:37 PM
I might as well provide nicely readable and properly (minimally) commented versions of some of it. I really want to do everything possible to help modders.

I never managed too keep a nice and fresh XML doc in the source updated, but that would help a lot while using the object explorer and intellitip.
We wouldn't have to disassemble as much.
Have to complement you on your naming though,most of the code makes sense after just one read.

I don't presume you have 99% unit test coverage and could share the tests? ;)

I have 0% unit test coverage :P Not a master of unit test methodology over here.

But yes, thank you on the naming. I rename stuff many times, usually, before it finally settles.

In fact, I may soon begin renaming all references to map location to "cell" since "loc" and "square" are either unwieldy or vague or incorrect (since the cells could be 3D some day).

bleedo

Cell and position is well established identifiers. :)
Guess what they're named in my shelf-resting roguelike.

No worries with the tests. I know it's hard. But you seem to be on top of SRP and refactoring and "stuff", so don't kill yourself documenting as long as the code speaks for itself.

WorldOfIllusion

Quote from: bleedo on April 29, 2014, 12:42:40 PM

Well, that's basically my thinking on the source already being pseudo-available. I might as well provide nicely readable and properly (minimally) commented versions of some of it. I really want to do everything possible to help modders.

Plus, this will stop me having to request simple snippets of code that don't decompile properly (which i'm sure would be greatly appreciated)!
Artistically challenged modder seeking artistically talented texturer's help. Please, please, PM me :)