First Game - Stories

Started by XenoAcid, September 15, 2013, 03:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XenoAcid

Hi!

I just felt the need to share my initial game experience. As with most games of this sort, a lot of it started with trial and error. Building the first shelter for my 3 survivors, figuring out how to attach batteries to the solar panels, building some basic defenses, etc.

All was well within the first hour (or until about halfway through the first Dark Season), but all good things must come to an end. It started with something called Boomrats. Some of them became bewildered and attacked one of my colonists. Being too small to be targeted by the auto-turrets, I decided to send one of the 3 brave souls to attack the rodent. However, I quickly realized why they were called Boom-rats.

Upon the rodents demise, it exploded, all the while setting a wall, and my colonist on fire. As some of you may know, being on fire isn't a natural state for humans, and as such this caused the human torch to run about my facility in panic, all the while setting the research table ablaze.

I watched in horror as she succumbed to the flames. Trying to contain the fire, nearby pirates decided this was a good time to attack my small and weakened outpost from all sides. They made quick work of the auto-turrets, as well as the remaining civilians.

There is no hope in this place.

Feel free to post your experiences so far. Maybe our shared stories can become cautionary tales to newer commanders, who may also find themselves stranded on a strange and alien planet.
Do not fear the darkness, fear the things that live inside of it...

Tynan

I laughed out loud when I read this. It's great to see the systems coming together into something storylike. So much of this is so new - in fact, boomrats and fire are both in the game just in the last two weeks or so.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

My first story is a little less exciting, but it also has fire.

Starting to starve, my three poor souls finally get how to get power, but the minute the power conduit is linked to the main room, the thunder struck the power conduit, setting the solar panel and the empty room on fire. Having no clue how to deal with the fire, the situation escalated rapidly when Harvey went on mental breakdown and jumped into the flames. At that point, Leon and Alex knew they wouldn't survive long. I swiftly freed them from solitude and starvation by hitting the "Back to Game Menu" button.

Time played: 10 minutes, no bug to report, but I definitely have to learn about fire fighting before starting over.

If I had a suggestion, it would be to remove all random happenings, good or bad, until all tutorial screens have been acknowledged (at least skipped). I mean, it's producing tragically short and fun stories, but it's a little frustrating to see hell raining on the first game.

Tynan

Did you choose Randy Random? I believe Cassandra gives 3 days with zero incidents, but I'll check.

Also, there is no way to fight fire aside from explosives, which wipe it out (research blasting charges), and removing its fuel sources. Yes, this is a little bit crazy and broken; I hope to add firefighting soon.

Hypolite

No, I chose Cassandra Consistent, but it seems that it was weather related, a lighning bold directly hit my power line.

Tynan

Calandryll

Lightning hitting electrical gear seems to be a pretty regular event.  After about a dozen hours of play, I was plotting out mining efforts in a colony and I noticed that no one was farming anymore, so I zoomed out and saw a roughly 12x12 square blaze around some solar panels and conduit with at least 8 people on fire and the other 30+ others chasing them around just outside the main wall.  I lost count of how many were at least partially ablaze, but I started clicking on people to see who I could still control, telling them to put one another out, and I had 4 of the on-fire people run to the 4 compass points at nearly the same time, off the screen, one heading into the front door, of course.

I had three people chasing her down, and she was catching everything on fire, but she wouldn't slow down for anyone to catch up to her, so she had to pass out before three people could run over and stop the fire.  I had the debris cleared and the base put back together before one pair of people came back from their sprint to the horizon.  If things hadn't been so exciting, it would have been fun to see how far away they got before the fire went out, but he must have hit the far corner of the map before the other guy put him out to be gone that long.