Urban defense

Started by Xanting, April 25, 2014, 06:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanting

Quote from: Sion on April 25, 2014, 10:09:16 AM
Quote from: Xanting on April 25, 2014, 06:45:07 AM
It has been a while sense my last post of my colony and as you can see it grew bigger. You can see my aversion of building over soil.
-image-
How do you defend that?
Could you post some pictures of a battle?

As most colonies I see are walled off bunkers I wanted to do something that did not involve being dug in deeply underground. I have been defending my colonies in this fashion for a while and although I have taken some casualties it was mostly due to me not paying attention rather then any inherent fault in the defense.

Building properly is key to this type of defense. as you can see here I positioned my colonists in the doorways of their houses which provides with excellent high cover while providing fire from the flanks of any raider that runs down this path. The bottom group is to provide primary fire usually being the first ones to shoot.

This group of colonists I positioned in various places so as to deny the enemy any cover advantage from my buildings while keeping mine in the high cover doorways in the same way of the last picture. I made a effort to have guns spread throughout all paths of advance so they will be under constant fire.

Here you can see that the raiders divided into two mobs and are attacking along the north and south and being further divided engaging my colonists. if you look at the bottom right you can see that even a lone colonist defending a flank is very effective at stopping their advance.

Now as I was positioning and repositioning defenders one of them got incapacitated. this is what happens if you do not pay enough attention to the health of your colonists. luckily he got incapacitated inside his high cover and should be safe from stray fire until he can be recovered. If your colonist takes too much fire they can fall back inside the safety of their house until you can bring a group to wipe out the raiders banging on the doors.

On the north it is about the same story except only few split off from the main group to bang on some walls. The group on the bottom is the first to fire.

As the raiders funnel in they attempt to take cover only to walk into the line of fire of the second group of colonists in the doorways. Any place they attempt to take cover they will be exposed to fire. This is what is usually called a killing zone. Most of the raiders die in this intersection.

Occasionally there are raiders that manage to take a roundabout way to flank your defenders. It is useful to have a mobile group of colonists so that you can react to them. The downside to this is that you would not have all colonists on your defensive positions but it does allow you more flexibility when you need it.

When the raiders rout all that is left is to mop up any stragglers. If you have a body problem then it may be wise to let them go otherwise feel free to move groups around to take care of them.

After all that is done the only thing left to do now is to undraft all your colonists to clean up the bodies, rescue any incapacitated colonists or raiders and repair dents in the walls.

Bronze Dog

Well, I guess I have something new to try out. Looks like you dealt with some pretty large enemy groups that way.

Xanting

In this instance i spawned some using the developer console but yes i have dealt with some fairly large raids although in randy random raids are a little unreliable.

minami26

Wow. this is a nice strategy.. Thanks for sharing dude!
I'm always playing in randy random. I'll post how my new colony will fare.

minami26

Im having fun playing this way, it makes my colony into a micro strategy game. Seriously more people should play this way.
Screenies:
I just had an Air Drop Raid:
They are fun to catch, because of the layout of my base, it makes my colony into an Urban battleground.

One thing I noticed, is that when you do it this way, The raiders dive into natural covers, They seem to go for the most defense, E.g the sandbags which were farthest, and not going into my building corners, because they can't see my positioned men, so they go into the sandbags instead.
in short they get slaughtered by my placed men.

Here's a link to a big picture of my colony!
COLONY TROST

Coenmcj

Minami26,
That's an interesting base design, what prompted you to build so organically?

I've been trying an urban defence strategy with embrasures dug into all the walls, colonists armed with rapid fire weapons and many, many turns and intersections for maximum cover/firing opportunities. Day 116 at the moment, with 17 colonists. Seems to be going well I reckon.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

minami26

Quote from: Coenmcj on May 10, 2014, 06:45:50 PM
Minami26,
That's an interesting base design, what prompted you to build so organically?

Hi coenmcj, Well I just got tired of making a colony into mountains/hill/cliffs and such. I was thinking of colonies like those in MassEffect, where they are plainly outside and ready to fight whatever comes their way,
I think its because I can craft weapons that I am able to fight of invaders from start to midgame. I'm using my mod :D

And when the time is opportune make the colony into a large working city, like in Starwars!
plus it makes the game more interesting and challenging at the same time, makes you gamble a lot! especially early on when you start a colony!

Coenmcj

Ah fair enough, I'll have to give it a shot sometime, I'm always up for new base ideas. :D
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

mrofa

Did play with urban defence and well its very effective, didnt loose a single colonist, only two times i had to rescue colonists, not to mention that style of combat makes meele quite effective especialy when you got a good meele char. But the problem is the aftermatch of this meaning the pile of bodies in living areas. Due to this i had quite problems with happiness.
All i do is clutter all around.

Crimsonknight3

The bottom group is to provide primary fire usually being the first ones to shoot.

Regarding the first picture, how do your colonists not hit eachother? If I ever position any of my colonists too near eachother their shots occasionally hit the person in front.?

Xanting

Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on May 28, 2014, 06:41:12 PM
The bottom group is to provide primary fire usually being the first ones to shoot.

Regarding the first picture, how do your colonists not hit eachother? If I ever position any of my colonists too near eachother their shots occasionally hit the person in front.?

I am sure it happens some times but more often then not if they are close to eachother they don't really hit the other unless the enemy is also close. I never really had problems with friendly fire with tightly packed groups of people