Merging logs and planks

Started by Tynan, June 04, 2014, 08:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I'm strongly considering wiping out the difference between these two resources and just using "wood" for everything.

What do you guys think?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Cala13er

Quote from: Tynan on June 04, 2014, 08:38:04 AM
I'm strongly considering wiping out the difference between these two resources and just using "wood" for everything.

What do you guys think?

I honestly agree with this. I tend to just get piles of logs stocked up. Having to then convert them into planks wastes colonists valuable time and is one of the main reasons I get wiped out easily. Because I spend to much time making planks. Having "wood" do all the work would be far easier, and would help balance things a little.

If you did however do this, If you kept the cost of items the same for "wood" as they use to be "planks" then it would be costly. So you would have to either make trees give you more wood, Speed up tree growth or reduce the cost of wood stuff.

This is my personal opinion anyway :).

Tynan

I would definitely rebalance some things around the change if it happened. I'm just asking about it as a concept.

iame6162013

i like that there is wood and planks,
but having people carving wood all day long in the begin is quite unhandy.

But of course personal opinion :)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Cala13er

As a concept. It's a yes from me. :)

Youraputz

I kind of like having multiple options, certainly it's more work to refine raw logs into planks, but isn't that the point?  In a finished RimWorld I would love to see multiple tiers of building materials, with different sub-tiers each conferring different bonuses/detriments.  For example:

Tier 1
Wood planks, Infinite in supply and quick to build, but very weak
Mud bricks, Infinite in supply, quick to build, prone to collapse

Tier 2
Wood logs, refined from planks, slightly stronger
Plaster bricks, mud bricks reinforced with hay (maybe from farming), stronger than mud, more fire resistant than wood
Stone bricks, stronger and fireproof, incredibly time consuming to refine from raw rock

Tier 3
Metal walls, stronger, can carry power, high metal cost, low asthetics
etc.

Maybe my concept isn't quite where RimWorld is headed, but I like the concept of crashing on a random planet and having to start over at more of a tribal wood/stone phase; rather than dropping right down and having access to metal, research benches and turrets.

Mattk50

main issue i have with planks is that if i turn all my logs into planks i cant make log walls anymore! how will i be stylish and make log cabins without log walls! :(

honestly though it feels like an intentional thing to slow you down and annoy you until you can move on to stone and metal walls. it really motivates you to move past low tech wood stuff, and you dont need to use any of it past a certain point so its not such a big issue imo.

also the way you build a hand sawmill only to delete it usually a few minutes later to replace it with a powered one is a little weird.

vagineer1

Definitely yes, changing the wood and plank resources to just for all wood products would be a big boon to people like me who have had problems making bases in Alpha 4.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

sparda666

although this would make the wood workbenches go away, Id probably agree with omitting wood refinement. because if there is wood refinement, the logical extension is that metal would need to be refined as well. While this may be more realistic, it might be too much that you have to do to be able to build anything. huge overhead.

b0wd3n

For me, I like the way, that there are logs and planks in this game. Maybe it's now harder to get your base done, but why not?
I understand RimWorld as a game where three people crashed on a weird planet trying to survive-why should they be able to build a fully equipped base in the first few day they arrived?
I would love to see them the first days sleeping in the wrack of their crashed space ship, trying to get something to eat, to find something safer to live in, to survive. When time goes on, the will be able to build more and higher tier stuff (like it's now for wood, but also maybe for metal etc.).
And with time and progress the surrounding tribes and city will take notice of the colony, pirates will start raids...
This maybe would also mean adding more dangerous animals for early game difficulty and delaying things like electricity in more mid-game situations. Sitting around a campfire to have a warm and safer spot in early game... :) That would be so gorgeous.

Ehm, ok, back to my point: I would appreciate to let this mechanic in the game or maybe give us an option either to enable or disable such more-deep mechanics.

christhekiller

I haven't really noticed them taking up a lot of colonists time? Are you setting them to saw logs indefinitely? Because they don't take up much time for me, especially when I get the powered saw going. I usually only have them start doing it when I'm getting lowish on planks. And also I've set crafting to be a lower priority than mining, constructing, and growing (and even hauling for once) so it never gets in the way of the expansion/ building of other things unless I'm low on it.

Garen

i think planks should still be used but instead should be focused on more complicated or not as urgently needed items.
in short don't make it a need to saw planks, but that players will want to, just like you did with stone blocks.

speaking of which any chance of a stone wall?

Dr. Z

Don't merge them. This game is about surviving and it's a surviving SIMULATION. You may balance the amount of time used to produce planks or the amount of planks produced from logs but don't merge them. In my opinion this game is not ment to be easy so the more difficulty it has the better it gets. I think meging them would be kind of against the concept of the game. Although some poelple may moan about it but i think they should rather face the challenge.

Edit: I just read b0wd3n's answer and I totally agree with it.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Ravenholme

Quote from: Dr. Z on June 04, 2014, 02:18:54 PM
Don't merge them. This game is about surviving and it's a surviving SIMULATION. You may balance the amount of time used to produce planks or the amount of planks produced from logs but don't merge them. In my opinion this game is not ment to be easy so the more difficulty it has the better it gets. I think meging them would be kind of against the concept of the game. Although some poelple may moan about it but i think they should rather face the challenge.

Edit: I just read b0wd3n's answer and I totally agree with it.

This, so very much.

I like the extra layers of stuff, it makes it feel like a true simulation of survival and, eventually, conquering your environment (If you can). Reducing this stuff would be like... Dwarf Fortess no longer requiring ores to be smelted.

Tynan

Interesting balance of responses here. Useful viewpoints all around, please keep 'em coming.

I also added a poll.