FLASHBACK: Gibbet Cages

Started by Yoshida Keiji, November 23, 2018, 07:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

I started playing RimWorld from Alpha 16, so there's a lot of RW-History that I'm not aware of. Because v1.0 is a very messed up version, I was about to return to A-17 which is the last Alpha that felt decent in my opinion, and to my surprise I saw that Alpha 4 was available so I downloaded that one and I'm giving it a play through in occasions as I prefer to play other games until RW stands up from its header fall.

I just finished researching "Fear Tech 1" and found out this awesome "Gibbet Cage" and I felt so perplexed to realize this was removed from the game that I had to come here to ask old time veterans... which Alpha removed this "decoration".... and exactly WHY? WHY? WHY? As a Lost Tribe & Vanilla exclusive player I supported many suggestions of this nature such as city wall entrance gate pikes where you could insert decapitated heads of enemies and this Gibbet Cage used to exist already in the past...

Since my start in Alpha 16, I never read any comments in this forum about players asking Gibbet Cages "return" in all this time. So... any players still active today that used to play RimWorld from around Alpha 4?

Shinzy

I started during the alpha 4 and the whole fear/loyalty mechanic was just bonkers
all you needed was to give each of your colonist a nice corpse plushie friend to fall safely asleep with and you win their complete total fear based loyalty

gibbet cages were mostly just bit of decor they didn't deserve to have

the current mood system doesn't really support having corpse pillows
It's a real shame I knooooww uugh

Scavenger

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

BasileusMaximos

Well, there is a mod that lets you take corpses and make them into buildings that give mood debuffs to anyone who see them.

But I see you only play vanilla. That's insane, especially with how easy it is to use the workshop, but to each their own.

ctgill

Ahhh the good ol days, I bought Rimworld around then and remember the cages fondly. That and planking. (The wood plank overhaul not the old meme)
Yes. Yes, this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "This Land.".

Demoulius

Ive seen a few people call 1.0 a mess now. Whats it about the version that so many people dislike?

Shurp

Raids are much easier to fight, deterioration no longer affects weapon accuracy or clothing insulation, mechanoids no longer have to be powered down... in many respects it seems like the game has been set to "easy" mode compared to B18.

But on the other hand world events and world transit have been improved, as has pathfinding, and mood management is much more interesting.  So it's a mixed bag.

Hmmm, and I just noticed I had my storyteller set to Savage instead of Merciless.  Whoops!  Time to crank it up a notch!  No wonder I was having such an easy time with combats in my most recent game...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

antibodee

It took me two days to even remember this.  I really had to think about it lmao.

I'm glad it stepped back from that.  If going that route, they should have instilled a colony leader system, and loyalties being to people specifically.