If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Getting a black screen on startup, or the game won't run properly? Try these steps!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. [Windows only] Download Delete_RimWorld_Registry_entries.reg (click the download button on the right side of the Dropbox page). Then double-click the file to delete all registry entries related to RimWorld.

2. Reset RimWorld's configuration data by deleting all the RimWorld configuration files. You'll find them in one of the following folders (depending on your operating system):

Windows        C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config
Note 1: the AppData folder may be hidden.
Note 2: the RimWorld folder within LocalLow may differ for various users, see this thread
• Paste this into a Run Window on Windows 10: %userprofile%/appdata/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config
MacUsers/[username]/library/Application Support/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
Users/[username]/library/Caches/RimWorld/Config
Linux/home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config

3. Force re-install. Sometimes Steam screws up updates. You need to delete the folders manually (not using the Steam interface).

-If you're on Steam:
  A: Shut down Steam.
  B: Delete this folder: Steam\SteamApps\common\RimWorld
  C: Delete this folder: Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\294100
  D: Open Steam, Install RimWorld, and play.

4. Try running the game EXE directly from its install folder instead of through Steam.

5. Disable virus protection programs (they occasionally flag RimWorld as a virus and kill it, since it was downloaded from the Internet).

6. [Mac DRM-free only] Re-extract the game with the default .zip extractor program. Other programs often extract the files with heavy permission restrictions, which prevents the game from running. (if you know how, you can also chmod 644 the whole install folder).

7. [DRM-free only] Make sure you didn't install the game on a path with special characters, like #, $ or accented letters. Try installing in C:/RimWorld or another simple directory.

8. [Linux only, glibc 2.25] It seems that glibc again has broken compatibility with several software packages including Unity.  See how to fix that problem here: https://ctrl.blog/entry/glibc225-unity-black-screen
Thanks goes to kallisti5 for the tip!

9. [Linux only] Run the game with "-force-opengl". This seems to make it run on OpenGL 2.0+ (Seems to work without it on OpenGL 3.2+)

10. [Linux only] Run the game (prefixed) with "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1" to force software rendering. It will be poor and performance and not ideal, but may run where the game doesn't otherwise.

11. Install on another drive (this has worked for users who were having issues on Steam).

12. If you have Hamachi installed, disable it's virtual network adapter or uninstall Hamachi.

13. (Windows 11/10/8/8.1 only) Try restarting your computer with the Restart button, rather than the Shutdown button in the Start Menu.
- For those wondering, these versions of Windows don't actually shut down all running services when doing a shutdown. A restart however, does.

14. You may need to reinstall your graphics card drivers. We recommend downloading the latest graphics card drivers from your computer manufacturers website.

15. If you are using AMD graphics hardware and are getting a small window with the RimWorld logo and an exclamation mark, you'll need to update your graphics card drivers as this is caused by out-of-date drivers. If no new drivers are available, you may need to upgrade your graphics hardware.

16. If you are getting an error message about the Steam API, completely reinstalling Steam and RimWorld usually fixes this issue.

17. [DRM-free only] Make sure the DLC files are updated for the same version of the game. We recommend downloading fresh copies of the DLC when downloading an update for the game.
17a.  If you have run out of downloads, or are running low, send an email to support ([email protected]) and we'll reset your download counter.

18. If you are getting this error: UnityPlayer.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) (This fix was submitted by a player. Please email support if this fix works for you.)
    a) Locate the game .exe file and right-click on it, then left-click on Properties.
    b) Go to the compatibility tab.
    c) Under settings, place a tick next to "Disable fullscreen optimizations" and "Run this program as an administrator"
    d) Click on 'Change DPI settings'
    e) Place a tick next to "Override DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and choose the "Application" option.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ItchyFlea

If you're using Windows XP, the location you want for Step 3 is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Config
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

StorymasterQ

Alternatively, check that you have not accidentally turned your monitor off.

Sorry, couldn't help it :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

jorsak

For some reason everytime i go back to the config folder the ModsConfig.xml is STILL THERE even though I deleted it. Does anyone know why?

Tynan

The game regenerates a clean one. If you delete it once there's nothing more to do there.

razztafarai

Hi, I can not get Alpha 6 to run on Windows 8.1
I'm running from C:\Rimworld\
I only use Windows Defender, I've added the Rimworld folder as an exception.
I've tried extracting it with 7Zip just in case there was a problem with the default Windows program.

No dice, please help :(

Tynan

What do you see when you run it?

Can you please go into the RimWorld folder, into RimWorld###Win_Data, get the output_log file there, zip it, and post it? It will help greatly.

razztafarai

Hello,
I just get a empty black window. I've tried running it as administrator and tried a number of compatibility options.

Please find output file attached

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Tynan

Delete the entire install folder and re-extract to a new clean location. It looks like you extracted the new build over the old one or something, which does not work.

razztafarai

I will try that, what I did was try to reextract the files (using 7zip rather than windows) to the same folder when it didn't work.

But I think my actual problem was that I no longer had a RimWorld532 Folder, i.e. all the files were in C:\Rimworld, Rather than C:\Rimworld\Rimworld532. I didn't know the Rimworld532 folder was essential.

It's working now.  thank you for your help.

schol150

Hi I am having trouble with starting my game. I first delete all of my rimworld folders. Second I download the game as part of my 1 of 5 downloads for windows. Third I save the download to my desktop. Fourth I extract the file RimWorld532Win to my desktop. I get a folder titled RimWorld532Win on my desktop. Fifth I open the folder and nothing is in the folder. I have tried right clicking on the folder and I can not extract the new folder I create. I have tried extracting the RimWorld532Win with with windows 7 and I have tried with 7zip. No luck :_ (

I am using windows 7.

Tynan

Quote from: schol150 on August 18, 2014, 03:40:25 AM
Hi I am having trouble with starting my game. I first delete all of my rimworld folders. Second I download the game as part of my 1 of 5 downloads for windows. Third I save the download to my desktop. Fourth I extract the file RimWorld532Win to my desktop. I get a folder titled RimWorld532Win on my desktop. Fifth I open the folder and nothing is in the folder. I have tried right clicking on the folder and I can not extract the new folder I create. I have tried extracting the RimWorld532Win with with windows 7 and I have tried with 7zip. No luck :_ (

I am using windows 7.

I recommend re-downloading.

Iwillbenicetou

I am having trouble starting up my game. I start a save file, and makes all color inverted. I get errors (1600 or so) saying character not loading. Any help? I'm running on a macbook.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Tynan

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on August 18, 2014, 11:33:48 AM
I am having trouble starting up my game. I start a save file, and makes all color inverted. I get errors (1600 or so) saying character not loading. Any help? I'm running on a macbook.

Please specify these errors more accurately. Did the game ever work for you? Or did Alpha 6 crash on first try?

Iwillbenicetou

The game did work. It only crashed when I installed the glitter mod.
EDIT: here's what the screen looks like

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!