[MOD] (Alpha 7) Electric Generator ( v0.7.0.1 / 01.10.2014 )

Started by bolti1703, August 23, 2014, 11:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bolti1703

Electric generator

Description:
Electric generator
===================
Adds a small electric generator which burns ethanol,wood gas or shale gas to generate power.
Has a start fuel unit which can be useful in the early game.
The fuel ( textures by Monotonical) can be produced in the fuel distillery or bought from the fuel trader.
Needs a fuel tank next to it for filling up with fuel.

Specifications:     

- 125 W power ( start fuel 1/4 day, only inside, must be researched)
- 150 W power ( wood gas 3/4 day, only inside, must be researched)
- 200 W power ( shale gas 1/2 day, only inside, must be researched)
- 250 W power ( ethanol 1/4 day, only inside, must be researched / start fuel outside 1/4 day)
- 300 W power ( wood gas 3/4 day, outside )
- 400 W power ( shale gas 1/2 day, outside )
- 500 W power ( ethanol 1/4, outisde )

Recipes:

Fuel distillery needs 300 W power

- Ethanol : - 20 Plants ( Berries, potatoes or agave )  and 5 metal
- Wood gas : -20 wood logs and 5 metal
- Shale gas : -1 rock chunk and 5 metal ( needs a lot of time to be produced )

Researches :

- Air cleaner : enables to produce power insde buildings.
  Enables access to:
     - Air ventilation : generators produce 20% more power if build next to a wall

- Generator tech 1 : generators produce 20% more power if build next to an other generator
   Enables access to:
     - Generator tech 2 :burn duration increase by 50%

Works fine wich the A2B: conveyor belts & co. by noone :
connect the A2B unloaders the generator fuel tanks, and spare your colonists the trip from the distillery ! -----> http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5593.0

New version 0.7.0.1:

- update for Alpha 7

New version 0.6.1.3c:

- generator spawns 5 metal after the fuel is burnt.no more metal burning.
   the generator needs at least one free square next to it to spawn the metal
- warning when air cleaner is not researched yet and the generator is inside
- base price for fuel raised a bit
- hotkeys added
- fixed bug : 5 lines error message

New Version 0.6.1.2:

- the generator explodes now when low damage ( fire explosion ). has now 400 health ( 150 before ). radius of the explosion is 1,4 ( one square up, down, left and right)
- the fuel tank doesn't burn ( 300 health ) but the fuel ( different health )
- rearranged the UI buttons  lower power first  ( Wood gas, Shale gas, Ethanol )
- changed the code a bit

This mod is licensed under the zlib license

Screens:

Mod Team:

Download:

Generator

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Changelog:
Version 0.6.0.1 Initial release
Version 0.6.0.2 - balancing the generator ( thx chaotix14 and all the others ), shale gas added, generator has now two power modes
Version 0.6.0.3 - changed the code, new research added, some other small changes
Version 0.6.0.4 - new turbo mode, more balancing, new fuel textures by Monotonical many more improvements
Version 0.6.1.0 - completely overhaul, power depends on fuel, other changes
Version 0.6.1.1b - new researches, other changes
Version 0.6.1.2 - some tweaks, code changes, generator explodes
Version 0.6.1.3 - generator spawns metal
Version 0.6.1.3b - hotkeys added
Version 0.6.1.3c - fixed bug 5 lines error message
Version 0.7.0.1 -update for Alpha 7

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Bruvvy

bolti1703

Quote from: Bruvvy on August 23, 2014, 11:44:31 PM
Thanks for making this!

Thx  :) some feedback? The generator produces only 250 W power and must be placed outside ( it smokes  ;D ) but it can be a good emergency power supply since solar flares have no impact.

Bruvvy

Really solar flares don't even affect the generator?

Bruvvy

I'm really happy man thanks this improves my gameplay a load

Zeta Omega

An emergency power source during solar flares.....TOOK SOMEONE LONG ENOUGH! GREAT MOD MAN!

bolti1703

Quote from: Bruvvy on August 24, 2014, 12:05:01 AM
Really solar flares don't even affect the generator?

Yes, no effect on the generator

bolti1703

Quote from: Zeta Omega on August 24, 2014, 12:11:51 AM
An emergency power source during solar flares.....TOOK SOMEONE LONG ENOUGH! GREAT MOD MAN!

There is a small problem, the other buildings are affected, but the generator runs  ;). Any idea to solve this problem?

Zeta Omega

Quote from: bolti1703 on August 24, 2014, 12:16:19 AM
Quote from: Zeta Omega on August 24, 2014, 12:11:51 AM

There is a small problem, the other buildings are affected, but the generator runs  ;). Any idea to solve this problem?
Nvm I spoke to soon.......CURSE YOU SUN AND YOUR INTENSE RADIATION!!!!

bolti1703

I have to correct me, the generator runs during a solar flare only if it was on. In this case there is no effect on the generator ( but as said the other buildings are affected). For now it is useful during eclipses. Sorry for the shady pronouncement.

Rahjital

250W is rather little when compared to the 1700W a single solar generator produces. Your generator runs on fuel, so it should be much more powerful to be worthwile. Perhaps 1000W?

Clayton

Realistically, provided technology standards are the same in RimWorld, a ethanol burning generator would produce way more than a solar panel of the depicted size in RimWorld could.

Not to get all technically, but I agree that 250w is pretty low.

bolti1703

yes it's not balanced and maybe 250 W is really to little. on the other hand the generator is small ( 2 squares with the fuel tank ), runs during the night and the eclipse ( and solar flare in some way i guess  ;) ).  a solar generator has 16 squares place for 8 generators, if i make each generator producing 1000 W it would be much to powerful compared with a solar generator. ( 8 x 250 W = 2000 W ) but as i said it could definitely be tweaked a bit.

Clayton

I agree with you that it could be easily abused; but unlike geo or solar, it takes resources to run it. That definitely sets it apart from those two.

If I may suggest, tweak the power output and maybe balance it out with how much resources it uses.

Oh, and awesome mod, by the way! It's always cool to see new energy sources. Definitely gives the option of switching up play styles and keeping RimWorld fresh.

bolti1703

Thx for the feedback. i  agree that the output should be changed.something like 300 W till 500 W a generator? ( 8 x 300 W = 2400 W to 8 x 500 = 4000 W , the last seems to powerful. you said it, tweaking and balancing is a hard and challengig job  ;) ). another possibility is to increase the burning time. now it burns 5000 ticks,in my opinion it could be changed up to 10000 ticks. you're dead right that the fuel consumption should be ballanced with the output/burning time.