[1.2-A8e] Rimfire - vanilla style gun mod (v2.6 / 12.01.2021)

Started by Alistaire, January 22, 2015, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POLL CENTRAL - 4 polls currently active, 3 closed

dd.mm.yyyy  [results] link to the poll

(30.12.2015) [results] Should weapons_guns.xml be split up into separate files for easy removal of weapons? (closed)
(05.01.2016) [results] Which of these considered weapon suggestions would you like me to prioritize? (closed)
(05.01.2016) [results] Which of these denied weapon suggestions would you want to see implemented after all? (closed)
(30.12.2015) [results] Which location do you prefer for polls?
(18.04.2016) [results] Which of these considered weapon suggestions would you like me to prioritize?
(18.04.2016) [results] Which of these denied weapon suggestions would you want to see implemented after all?
(30.04.2016) [results] !NEW! Which weapon types would you like to see added to Rimfire?

Loki88

I didn't intend to step on toes, though it seems I did. I referenced Guns+ because that was the easiest way for me to describe what I was asking about. Not because I was hoping for you to update it or take the carbine from it. I also don't really have any intention of making my own weapons mod when someone with skills far superior to my own has already made essentially the exact mod I would want to make (this one). All I was hoping for is something like a PCC (Pistol Calibre Carbine) such as the Kel-Tech sub 2000, or the Marlin Camp Carbine. I apologize for the toe stepping and will stop being a pest.

Alistaire

I'm not sure how you concluded from my answer that you are being a pest to me. If you were, I wouldn't have answered with more than a
paragraph in the first place.

On the addition of PCC's to Rimfire:

The mod currently features a bunch of SMG's and rifles, and a bunch more are planned in the future. The latest update completed my todo-list
of sniper rifles and with your message I'll try to focus on carbines for next update. Carbines weren't planned and I finished the SMG todo-list a
while ago, but I could throw in a few carbines if you'd like that.

Similar stats: The mod currently features an M-3 (greasegun SMG), a Kriss Vector (modern SMG) and a Galil (iraqi rifle) which have
properties similar to a pistol carbine. The base-game Survival rifle and Rimfire's Mosin (3-line rifle) might be good alternatives too.

Sounds: All guns in the mod have custom sounds. The XM-8 (military rifle) and the 93R (burstfire machinepistol) have really cool sound
effects in my honest opinion, so they might work as a replacement to the Carbine's ones.

Loki88

I always assume I'm being a pest when asking someone to add things to their mods :P

Alistaire

Rimfire v1.5 for Alpha 11 released

A quick non-alpha update, similar to the Grenade launcher update. This update adds three new carbines - the Ruger PC-9, H&K USC and Beretta CX-4.
Loki88 requested Carbines to be added to Rimfire. If you feel like the mod is missing any weapon type or maybe a specific weapon even, feel free to request it.

Rafe009

I really like this mod from an aesthetic perspective as it's one of the only mods where the guns don't look like something you would buy from Toys 'R Us made by Nerf/Hasbro corporation or some unholy thing that was churned out of Willy Wonka's factory after Stalin nationalized it for arms production and told Mr. Wonka to make arms. The gun play in Rimworld is really intense and guns start to feel personal so it's nice that they have their own personality if you will.

My concern is balance. I'm on my third year playing in a vanilla game and i finally bought a mini-gun, a poor one at that, because i've just not been able to salvage one. If i install this mod am i going to be overflowing with guns or does that constant pressure of scrounging for arms remain? Are some of these guns comparable or better than existing vanilla weapons in accuracy, damage, fire rate? I really don't want to play a different game and have a tremendous advantage in firefights, i just want my arms to have a bit more personality.

Alistaire

All guns in the mod are supposed to be sidegrades which have slightly tweaked stats from the vanilla weapons or upgrades which are superior
in a specific field. Because any added guns are available to both traders and raiders you shouldn't have an advantage in fights - enemies have
the same weapons. If anything, raiders become more varied in weapon choices since the mod's guns have similar market values to the vanilla
guns. Raiders can basically choose between a standard pistol, a weaker revolver type weapon or a stronger machinepistol which fires in bursts.
The stronger raiders will now also use a grenade launcher and anti-materiel rifles which are decently overpowered to match the strength of
similar weapons these enemies could spawn with in the base game (rocket launchers and laser rifles).

I like to compare Rimfire to Guns+, a mod which hasn't updated since Alpha 8 but which was the inspiration for this one, because the guns are
trying to be balanced, fit in with the game, offer slight variety in existing weapons and form new niches for specific gameplay purposes (the
addition of carbines as a weapon tier between SMGs and Rifles, the addition of anti-materiel rifles as an upgrade from sniper rifles).

If you feel like any of the guns require a rebalance, you're free to suggest it. Since the mod's initial release back in Alpha 8 there's been two
main game gun rebalances in which I had to do just that.

Additionaly, if you have any interest in Combat Realism (which at the point of writing hasn't updated to Alpha 11 yet, sadly) or any weapon
crafting mod, I've provided a compatibility patch for several mods in the past.

Loki88

:o The new carbines are amazing!!! I can't believe you did them that fast either. I love em, thank you! ;D
My harasser squad can be re made now.

On a side note, I just had one of those moments where I realize something I should have picked up on earlier. This mod is called Rimfire and actually has no rim fire guns in it :P I'm not suggesting they be added as extra firearms since they would be pretty useless unless you're hunting the hares and squirrels with them all day, just thought it was funny  :)

Anyway, thanks again for adding the carbines so quickly.

Othobrithol

Great Mod, it's the only +weapons mod out there I use. It's unusually well balanced and doesn't throw off the game progression or clutter up the menus near as much as so many others.

but... as much as I do really love the carbines they seem pretty overpowered compared to both vanilla guns and your own weapons. Unless I am missing something they dish out damage on par with the charge rifle, but with better range and much better accuracy. In the rimfire set they seem to make the assault/military rifles totally obsolete as they have similar or better performance at range with up to twice the damage potential.

If I am mistaken in my reading of the data files, I apologize.

My personal tweaking is moving towards dropping their damage to be on par with SMGs, keeping similar range, but nerfing the long range accuracy. This makes them sort of a multipurpose personal defense weapon for non-soldier colonists; capable of adding fire for the long range shoot-outs (but being outshot by assault rifles etc), maintaining excellent close to mid lethality but not as potent as more specialized weapons (SMGs, LMGs, Charge Rifle).

Just my thoughts.

Keep up the good work!

Alistaire

I must say I rushed the carbine update and tried beefing up the weapons to match Guns+' carbine. Besides I didn't have the time to playtest
them thoroughly; I haven't done a playthrough of Alpha 11 so far so I'm glad you gave some feedback.

If you came up with any, feel free to suggest more balanced stats for the carbines. Otherwise I could take a look at them and fix them based
on the things you already mentioned.

Othobrithol

IMO, Baseline values for the weapon class would be around 10 +/- 2 for damage, Range in the mid to upper 20s, with accuracies of .75 / .85 / .5 / .5 ( long is meaningless in this case ofc). That would make them handy at 4-15 with accuracy trailing down quickly 16-25 but not as bad as the longer range SMGs.

Civilian PCC is the most in need of nerfing, it's a super weapon. Dmg 8 or 9, Burst 2, Range 26 makes it basically a very toned down charge rifle and a middle of the road weapon on all accounts.
The Police carbine is actually pretty balanced as-is. I'm thinking this one needs to stay single shot with a good (12?) dmg, better aimtime/cd, range 30ish with a balanced accuracy with the highest medium in the class (.75 or .8) making it sort of a skirmishing semiautomatic rifle.
Storm gets middling dmg of 9 or maybe 10, burst 3, lowest range (22?) and better accuracy in touch/short (.85ish?) and worse at medium (.45). that will make it closer to an SMG but capable of long range.

I didn't make any effort to adjust for cd or aim time (which seemed fine), but just focused on the dmg, burst, range and accuracies. I compared the values for PDW, Heavy SMG, Charge Rifle (which is really an SMG tbh), vanilla assault rifle, And your Galil and XM8. As a side note, I think the touch/short accuracy is inflated in many weapons. Really only pistols, smgs and shotties should get above 0.8 that close. In my files I've tapped quite a few of your weapons down 0.1 in their less optimal ranges to create more contrast and bring them closer in line to vanilla weapons which seem to peak at .8 to .9 only in their very best range.

Alistaire

Alright I changed the weapon stats from;

<!-- ==================== Beretta CX4 ============================= --> (storm carbine)
013 DMG - 070 SPD - 092 WMP - 031 RNG
Cooldown 0.69
Burst 2x 021
% 0.91 - 0.92 - 0.89 - 0.70
600 $
<!-- ==================== Ruger PC-9 ============================== --> (police carbine)
014 DMG - 065 SPD - 075 WMP - 034 RNG
Cooldown 0.60
% 0.92 - 0.96 - 0.90 - 0.70
560 $
<!-- ==================== HK USC ================================== --> (civilian PCC)
012 DMG - 072 SPD - 083 WMP - 032 RNG
Cooldown 0.66
Burst 3x 011
% 0.93 - 0.95 - 0.91 - 0.70
640 $

to;

<!-- ==================== Beretta CX4 ============================= --> (storm carbine)
010 DMG - 070 SPD - 092 WMP - 028 RNG
Cooldown 0.69
Burst 2x 021
% 0.91 - 0.92 - 0.79 - 0.60
600 $
<!-- ==================== Ruger PC-9 ============================== --> (police carbine)
012 DMG - 065 SPD - 070 WMP - 032 RNG
Cooldown 0.60
% 0.91 - 0.94 - 0.83 - 0.60
560 $
<!-- ==================== HK USC ================================== --> (civilian PCC)
008 DMG - 072 SPD - 083 WMP - 027 RNG
Cooldown 0.66
Burst 3x 011
% 0.90 - 0.87 - 0.78 - 0.60
640 $

The civilian PCC sounds better with a 3-burst, and I made the range 27 to at least make it come somewhat close to rifle range. A damage of 8 with its below average burst speed makes it a hard hitting slow rifle or smg, with the benefits of shooting far and having a low cooldown of both these weapons.

The police carbine is mostly a survival rifle (which is pretty overpowered in vanilla if you look at the stats) with faster dropping accuracy and lower damage but higher fire rate.

The storm also sounds better with a 2-burst, so I lowered the damage a bit. I can't make one of the weapons have a range of 22, because that's below pistol range and carbines are supposed to fire pistol bullets up to rifle range.

Othobrithol

It looks like a serious improvement to me. I'll run my next colony with your stock mod and let you know.

I totally agree about the survival rifle. It's a beast. My guess is he wanted you to have a solid, good weapon at the start.

As a last note, a weapon I'd like to see is a pair of peacemakers if you can pull that off. It seems lacking in the current game with all the western motif. I was thinking something like a weaker minigun but with the aim/cd reversed. As soon as the wielder wants to fire, a huge spray of pew pow pew paching hurled inaccurately at the target followed by a long delay while the wielder reloads. A great room to room weapon and good versus melee.

Thanks for accepting my input.

Alistaire

The Alpha 11b update changes parts of Assembly-CSharp.dll, which could mean Rimfire Alpha 11 won't work for Alpha 11b.
I'm compiling a version with Alpha 11b's DLL which includes the Carbine changes. This Alpha 11b version will be Rimfire v1.6.

Alistaire

Rimfire v1.6 for Alpha 11b released

The Rimfire v1.6 update is to be used ONLY with Alpha 11b and newer. The carbines have been rebalanced according to Othobithol's feedback.
There are no further gameplay changes in v1.6, and people running an Alpha 11a playthrough won't have to upgrade.

Havan_IronOak

Just downloaded your mod and look forward to giving it a go in my next world. (Starting a fresh world and colony tomorrow) any chance that in your next release you'd add a non-lethal weapon or two? There WAS a non-lethal mod that was created a few releases back but it's not been brought up to date.

I used to start one of my colonists with a beanbag shotgun and it seemed to be a nice way to incapacitate an early raider or two. I much prefer to get them into one of my prison cells rather than into my freezer.