Do you experience lag in lategame? POLL

Started by thetj, April 05, 2016, 06:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you experience lag when using 3x speed in lategame?

No
8 (26.7%)
Yes, starting with 20+ colonists
10 (33.3%)
Yes, starting with 30+ colonists
4 (13.3%)
Yes, starting with 40+ colonists
2 (6.7%)
Yes, starting with 50+ colonists
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

thetj

Just wanted to see if people experience lag across the board. Not very scientific since it doesn't aggregate by PC hardware, but feel free to list your specs for contextual purposes.

harpo99999

the main issue is the pauses ( I suspect that they might be a form of garbage collection or stack cleaning) and in my current colony I have approx 3 min play and 10 min pause (modded game 53 colonists and over 600 animals(do not know actual count as there are five species with the smallest count being two (camels that had been purchased)with approx 20 huskies,25 labs, 25 bacon pigs,30 wolimicos, guessing at 200 pigs, and wild guess at over 400 wild boars all tamed and being trained in a five year old colony)

SpookyMunky

I experience lag when I get a 100+ manhunter pack of boomalopes and set off a chain reaction with snipers, lol.. I doubt there is any solution to that though ? :).. I don't think damn game, more damn technology in general, need more power :P

is the kind of thing I think ooh, finally.. gonna be amazing! :).. then after first shots everything stops for 10 secs or so and I see the aftermath hehe

maybe could be optimised slightly by combining the booms instead of calculating them all at once ?

SpookyMunky

100+boomalopes all exploding and calculations of damage for each to every other, then the calculations of their booms to others heh... is an insane amount of calcs without consolidating.. if thats a word :)

Like could maybe just have boomalopes boom when there is too high a concentration, bypass all the calcs for damage to each other etc, throw in some fake % for ones left standing hehe

Edit: I'm not completely sure about how your engine works, but hmm.. say you are calculating each damage from distance, then calculating wounds they will suffer, from there if they are dead etc.. again is a lot of data that I feel may be unnecessary given the density of boomalopes hehe, if you simplify that damage check depending on density, e.g. if boomalope is same spot as boomalope, boomalope booms, as opposed to working out if boomalope got a broken leg / damaged eyeball / sore tail etc.. might help ?

shooting a boomalope manhunter pack should be the highlight of a game... in my mind there should have been nuclear kind of effects :D.. not a frozen screen

fede16071995

i actually found a solution. i have set up two shifts so that i only have half of the colonist working. apparently when they sleep they don't drain resources from your cpu. i guess you could also have 3 shifts in case you have more colonists.

Fluffy (l2032)

You should really separate vanilla and modded games in your poll - some mods can add quite a bit of overhead.

humblebundle

more then 150 chickens and zoomed out yes, but thats ok and still playable just a bit fps issue, because thats a lot to calculate.
english is not my main language, that should explain a lot...

w00d

i constantly save manually as there will be situations where you are force to cold restart the client and then go back to another save point to avoid the event ie like 100s of Raiders suddenly forcing the client to slowdown

Listy

Depending on which machine I'm playing. I've yet to reach a limit on my desktop. However my laptop starts to have issues around the 40 mark. And it can get tricky during assaults, luckily they don't tend to last very long.

The worst one is Manhunter packs. Last two were 200 Wargs, and that caused a massive drop in gameplay.

JimmyAgnt007

Without events, fires, or anything else, my 60+ colony (link in my sig) would lag a bit just from people doing their thing.  I reduced the lag by only giving people jobs they had a passion for.  Also when I ordered any mining done things would slow right down because I had everyone tagged for that. 

My games are totally vanilla except for the Anti-Matter Reactor that i changed to generate 100k power and to be build-able inside.

igz33

I have a colony of 6 colonist and 10 chicken and I DO lag at full speed and zooming out. I use MVP mods package. Its not so bad I still can play.

I play on a laptop.

Config :
HP notebook
Quad-core
Radeon R5
8g Ram