96% success chance doctor failing five out of six operations

Started by Eric, December 29, 2016, 11:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhentar

There's no penalty for operating on prisoners, but if your prison is very dirty, there is a penalty for that.

Hieronymous Alloy

Quote from: JuicyPVP on December 30, 2016, 03:05:13 PM
Quote from: skullywag on December 30, 2016, 02:47:42 PM
something seems broken here, this doesnt sound like the way it should work. Some of these number are either SERIOUSLY awful RNG or a bug.

Right. Because my doc installs and operates on my pawns 100% never failed not even minor, but he touches a prisoner and becomes Dexter. It is like there is a penalty for operating on the prisoners?

Are your prisoners set to herbal medicine while your colonists are set to normal medicine?
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Daguest

In short, it's most likely herbal medicine. I had the issue with this beta with 14+ doctor failing surgery 4/5 times, in an hospital fully lit, with sterile tiles, excellent med beds and vital monitor. In the end, that's just because I use herbal.

bills6693

It seems like herbal has been nerfed too much. 40% seems ridiculous, and normal down to 70% also seems too low. Plucking numbers from the air, 60% and 90% would seem more reasonable. A decent doctor in a good hospital should be successful with normal med in my mind, a good doctor should be able to be successful in a good hospital with herbal, and glitterworld should be for using when you've not got your doctor or not got anywhere suitable as a hospital

Grishnerf

i honestly think there should be a 4th medkit:

herbal 40% (harvest)
improvised medicine 70% (herbal + yayo)
medkit 90% (herbal +Cloth + neutramine)
glittermed 100% (only tradable)

and maybe a warning message if the used medicine is to low for surgery.
to make it even more clear.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Chaia

My current settlement had a very skilled gunner but with a missing eye. Good as I am, I let the doctor take one eye from one of my prisoners, so he can install it into the gunner. Extraction works well, but as the doctor tries to operate on my gunner, he somehow manages to cut the gunners head off in one swift motion. Room was clean, doctor had medicine level 9, was completly healthy and also using glitterworld medicine. That was not his first operation to go complety bonkers, that "fixed" surgery chance is one hell of a colonist killer

XeoNovaDan

It is probably the use of normal medicine

In Alpha 16, all medicines (except Gliiterworld) have been nerfed. Normal medicine has a medical potency of 70% and Herbal has 40%. If you're using normal medicine, your doctor's chances will be a mere 67.2% as opposed to 96. A sterile room will help slightly, improving chances by 10% (to 73.92% in this case)

Edit: You'll basically need a bionic godlike (or at least a strong master) doctor to even come close to guaranteeing success, perhaps a hit of go-juice to seal the deal, and a sterile operating theatre.

Hope that's helped

Zhentar

A sterile room only gives a 3% boost, by my math. Actually guaranteeing success with normal medicine requires bionic arms, plus wake-up, go-juice, and luciferium; it's not quite 100% if you only use two of the drugs even in a sterile room.

silenced

I stopped using anything lower than glitterworld for colonist medical purposes in case of operations and surgery.

Additional, I only do surgery with skill 12+ medics, anything below is too risky in my eyes. But still, there are always a few casualties, sadly.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...

Hieronymous Alloy

Quote from: Zhentar on December 31, 2016, 01:22:07 PM
A sterile room only gives a 3% boost, by my math. Actually guaranteeing success with normal medicine requires bionic arms, plus wake-up, go-juice, and luciferium; it's not quite 100% if you only use two of the drugs even in a sterile room.

Hah, ok, that's crazy harsh.

It seems like a "fair" balance point would be to make actual medicine have no modifier on surgeon success chance, neither positive nor negative.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

UberWaffe

I think it would really help if the chance of success (all factors taken into account) was displayed next to the operation when you pick the surgery to perform.
Or alternatively somehow displayed next to the surgery choice once a surgeon is assigned to the task.
(With hoverover providing a breakdown of what is affecting the chances.)

The colonist's surgery success change is not the actual success chance, it is misleading.

skullywag

ok i did a test "gonna make everyone a bionic wonder and replace everything i can" colony. Jaws......jeeezus, the amount of decapitations....colony ended after my lvl 14 doc with normal meds on a masterwork hospital bed with vitals and sterile floors decapped 4 pawns on the trot while trying to remove jaws. The colony ended cuz i damn well closed the game and started modding this.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

TimTumm

So I am not the only one.  My 14 skill doctor (perfect health) installing a bionic arm killed the patient 3/4 times in a sterile hospital with hospital beds, lamp next to it and TV (I know most of those don't matter, but dammnit, I did everything I could).  That's right, 3/4 times mean I am save scumming, but that is what I am reduced to; and it makes me feel dirty!

Thanks to Sychers I always need to install something on someone.

I have never seen glitter meds for sale.  I would have no problem installing a mod that lets me make it.  (hint, link please).

XeoNovaDan

It is kinda sad that now it's almost mandatory to have Glitterworld Medicine just so you can have successful operations, or a skilled and healthy doctor who's also on Go-Juice if you're going for ordinary medicine (but even that may not guarantee success).

Thankfully GW Medicine isn't really overly expensive, and ~110-120 silver is somewhat reasonable to guarantee an operation success. I won't set up operation bills unless I get hands on GW Medicine. Gives it a 'true' purpose I suppose...

Grishnerf

glittermeds have a purpose now. get used to it, jeez..
bionics is endgame.
if you make normale medicine stronger again so that you can use it for 100% surgery, glittermeds become useless again, cause you can MASS PRODUCE normal medicine now.

if you get a glittermed = 100% success surgery for around 120 silver.
it's endgame. it should be that way.

if you want to Play a full bionic colony with extra mods, then just get one more mod to get normal medicine back to 100% eefficiency.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist