Rimworld Logic

Started by Sceptik, January 05, 2018, 11:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sceptik

-Awesome, i live in a sea ice that is so far from forests. No big animal can kill me here
+ A group of elephants has came to kill you from the HECKIN 80 days road!
- Uhhh what?

+ Mad Animal : A squirrel has gone mad.
-What is the worst that could happen? It's a squirrel.
-I killed it in one shot. That was easy. All i got is a cut. There is a flame next to it, I think it is a good sign.
+Infection : One of your colonists got a disease!
- Meh...
1 InGame day later...
+ Severe Ilness, Colonist needs Rescue.
- Nobody rescues my colonists? All of this cause of a squirrel? This game is rigged (definitely not)

Names are for the Weak

Oh trust me, on sea ice, manhunting elephants are perhaps the best thing that could happen to you. And people complain about infections, but I find that they are only a problem if you let them go untreated for a long time. And in a real survival situation, infections would be a likely occurrence from an untreated wound. Did you treat the guy's injury at all before the infection?

Canute

Sure elephants are a blessed gift from the god's on the Sea ice.
But he is right, no logic behind it. They never would wander so far into an area they can't survive of the cold and don't find anything to eat.

And wild animal bites are allways high infectious.
Just ask a doctor, he will give you a cure against rabies after your told him about the animal bite, before you can say you don't need it.

Dashthechinchilla

You managed to get on the ice, why not the elephants?

jamaicancastle

You're suggesting the elephants were shot onto the ice by drop pods from a disintegrating ship? :o

I mean, that does explain why they're there, but it raises so many other questions...

Foefaller

Quote from: Names are for the Weak on January 05, 2018, 12:47:26 PM
Oh trust me, on sea ice, manhunting elephants are perhaps the best thing that could happen to you. And people complain about infections, but I find that they are only a problem if you let them go untreated for a long time. And in a real survival situation, infections would be a likely occurrence from an untreated wound. Did you treat the guy's injury at all before the infection?

Infections can kill if it's on top of other injuries, especially if it was enough to incapacitate a non-wimp in the first place and/or you had no meds to treat the infection. I think I've lost about half of potential recruits to infections not because they got to 100%, but because at about 85-90% they die from 0% consciousness from that and the cumulative effect of all their other wounds.

Also, kidney and liver damage will greatly slow down a pawn's ability to build immunity to any disease. Almost lost my builder because of chemical damage to one of her kidneys thanks to pre-existing flake addiction. Thankfully, one of the surviving raiders still had a perfectly good kidney of their own...

Songleaves

Quote-What is the worst that could happen? It's a squirrel.

Mere hours ago I had a local animal go mad, and it was a squirrel who was standing right next to colonist and instant the notification came up the squirrel had already scratched his eye, giving him a 3 damage scar >_>

More relevantly to the thread, I find it incredibly frustrating when colonists have a mental breakdown for a reason, and the breakdown exacerbates that reason. For instance, I've had a colonist go into a sadistic rage and start attacking the prisoners. The final straw? "An innocent prisoner died."

More commonly I'll have someone have a mental breakdown on their way to getting food, with their final straw being hungry. Then they go ahead and wander around not eating anything. Seriously, things like this make me feel like my colonists are really, really stupid and deserve to die.

Albion

Quote from: Songleaves on January 06, 2018, 03:13:23 AM
More relevantly to the thread, I find it incredibly frustrating when colonists have a mental breakdown for a reason, and the breakdown exacerbates that reason. For instance, I've had a colonist go into a sadistic rage and start attacking the prisoners. The final straw? "An innocent prisoner died."

More commonly I'll have someone have a mental breakdown on their way to getting food, with their final straw being hungry. Then they go ahead and wander around not eating anything. Seriously, things like this make me feel like my colonists are really, really stupid and deserve to die.

Well I personally think those are valid stories.
A person sees an innocent prisoner die and flips thinking the world is cruel and horrible and it would be easier to spare the other prisoners their suffering and kill them now.

The sad wanderer makes sense too. What is it worth to live or do if you can't get a decent meal? Why not just sit down and wait for the sweet release of death?

You have to remember: they are mental breakdowns. Emphasis on break!
Weird stuff will happen if you bring people to their mental threshold for prolonged periods of time.

Regarding the elephants: maybe there was an exotic goods trader who miscalculated the trajectory of his cargo pods and accidentally shot his elephants to the pole instead of his trading partners.

Shurp

Just adding my BTC 0.000002 worth on infections:

You shouldn't be losing colonists to infections if you have any medicine at all and a decent doctor.  Send them to bed, hit them with medicine, and they'll be immune before the infection reaches 70%.  But yes, if your pawn gets scratched by a squirrel he has to go to bed for 3 days.  Silly, but effective.

If you're having trouble dealing with squirrel bites I can't imagine what happens when Plague hits your colony...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Sceptik on January 05, 2018, 11:49:23 AMAll i got is a cut. There is a flame next to it, I think it is a good sign.
I think the "flame" means that it's bleeding quite badly.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Dargaron

As we know, World War I came to a decisive end after the 1916 Battle of Kiev, in which the Russian command dispensed with "guns" and instead equipped their entire force with stabbing spears. Since the average human can withstand 7-10 assault rifle rounds before succumbing to pain shock, the German positions were overrun, having been unable to build an effective stone "killbox" before the enemy was upon them. This tactic won victory after victory for the Eastern Entente, since the Central Powers stubbornly insisted on using firearms as their primary weapon.

(Translation: why is it nigh impossible to take down your average tribal with small-arms fire? I've almost never seen any non-wimp human pawn downed by a single volley of assault/charge rifle fire.)

Boston

Quote from: Dargaron on January 06, 2018, 06:41:37 PM
-snip-

That is because combat in vanilla Rimworld is stupid and nonsensical.

Download the mod Combat Extended. It is one of the few mods i -refuse- to play without at this point

jamaicancastle

Quote from: Dargaron on January 06, 2018, 06:41:37 PM
(Translation: why is it nigh impossible to take down your average tribal with small-arms fire? I've almost never seen any non-wimp human pawn downed by a single volley of assault/charge rifle fire.)
Because, for reasons unknown to me, Tynan wants melee to be "balanced" with ranged weapons. It's not a decision I would make in his place, it's not a decision I think fits very well with the genre, but it's the decision he made and everything else flows from it.

Also if assault rifles were more deadly than they are now, raiders would kill you just as fast. At least this way the ridiculous randomness is slightly mitigated by time.

Shurp

Seems he's balancing it the wrong way... expanding the variety of personal shields and the ability to manufacture them would make much more sense.  Tribals, meanwhile, should just get slaughtered.

(And Dargaron's post is hilarious)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Injured Muffalo

Quote from: Songleaves on January 06, 2018, 03:13:23 AM

Recently I had my last colonist doing triage in the midst of a swarm of manhunting caribou. All she had to do was stop the bleeding and feed people the food they were carrying. She saved one from bleeding to death. Then she needed food. I stopped her from tending to wounds to eat a meal.

In the process of eating the meal, she had a mental break and decided she had to release prisoners because she was hungry. So she dropped the meal without eating it, wandered towards the prison and promptly was knocked down by some caribou. Colony over.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.