So, any insight into the moddability that comes with the patch?

Started by Plasmatic, January 26, 2014, 04:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plasmatic

So, assuming the January deadline is still on, Tynan should be busy putting the finishing touches, and smashing the last few bugs out of the build, right?
No other major changes are to be made before the big patch day.. or so I assume..

Now I know this patch will only introduce the moddability of the game, running or not, but I was wondering if anybody know which parts will be modifiable now, like, is it just the sounds?

Not really looking for a complete list, just a general idea,

Example:
-General sounds (not all)
-General characteristics of items (Hp, power req/output/storage, flammability etc)
-Resources (stockpiled)
-Spawn extra pawns, (pawns, animals, resources, raiders, aliens, etc)

palandus

The basic framework will be included (unless something changes between the current released build and the one that will be released to the public):
-> Hairs, and Sound
-> Things = Bed and Sleeping Spot
-> Terrain = Sand, Soil, etc...

As far as I know, you can "create" new assets by copying one of the assets in the xml and creating a new object. Someone in the testing forum mentioned making a bed made of artillery shells with the resources available.

Not sure if you can add assets to these xml(s) that are not there originally. ie Datamining the code for a Table and creating custom variables for it. 

Jones-250

I´m quite surprised how far the mod making community has come without official moddability. Who knows what sort of modexplosion will occur once modding becomes slightly more accessable.
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Tynan

Modding is there, but it will be one or two more versions before it's completely fleshed-out.

Check ludeon.com - I just put up a post talking about this.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Jones-250

Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Plasmatic

Quote from: Tynan on January 27, 2014, 11:22:54 AM
Modding is there, but it will be one or two more versions before it's completely fleshed-out.

Check ludeon.com - I just put up a post talking about this.

Thanks, the whole topic is moot now though, when I wrote it I thought it was going to be a bit longer till we got the update :)

Thank you very much for your hard work Tynan, Looking forward to seeing the full game and its potential realized!

Untrustedlife

Just created a new bed I'm calling "Royal Bed" it costs double, and is larger (2x2 instead of 1x2), but it also heals your colonists 25% faster.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Tynan

Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 27, 2014, 03:36:24 PM
Just created a new bed I'm calling "Royal Bed" it costs double, and is larger (2x2 instead of 1x2), but it also heals your colonists 25% faster.

I honestly wonder if that will work.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Tynan on January 27, 2014, 03:40:04 PM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 27, 2014, 03:36:24 PM

I honestly wonder if that will work.

It is in game, I haven't tested it out on a colonist yet, but it works. It shows up properly 2x2 instead of 1x2 , etc.

edit:
Colonists use it,no graphical glitches,  it works perfectly :P
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK