Icy Climate weather effects

Started by DirectorBright, November 10, 2016, 02:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirectorBright

Blizzard:
A weather event in the northern areas of the map. During winter, there is a chance for a blizzard to occur in the Boreal forest, Tundra, and Ice Sheets. The chance increases the lower the temperature.

• All tiles outside are covered in heavy snow regardless of roofs, due to the heavy wind
  • The temperature rapidly drops thanks to the wind chill factor.
  • Shooting accuracy is dropped fantastically thanks to the thick snow killing visibility.
  • Solar Panel output drops to zero, the snow blocks out the sun.
  • Wind Turbines have a higher minimum power output.

Iced Up:
Machinery exposed to the outside has a chance to become iced up, effectively breaking down until a colonist comes and chips the ice off. No component replacement is required, the machine is simply frozen. At extremely low temperatures, this can happen to doors.

Frozen Swamps:
Marshes and Swamps should freeze in the winter, making them equivalent to ice.
Healer got his legs torn off by hellspawn today, bugs exploded from someones floor, and its been a toxic fallout nuclear winter for the past week. Then a solar flare hit.
Such is life in the rimworld.

Andy_Dandy

Very good suggestions indeed, my dear chap. I really like different challenges to different biomes, and all of these makes perfectly sense. Many biomes would be effected by these, depending on how long and harsh winters they have.

You should be able to clear the snow from the solar panels, the way you can clear snow with pawns on cleaning duty, and solar panels should lose efficiency also after lesser snow falling the same way walking speed gradually is reduced by snow.

Brilliant ideas.

DirectorBright

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on November 14, 2016, 09:15:16 AM
Very good suggestions indeed, my dear chap. I really like different challenges to different biomes, and all of these makes perfectly sense. Many biomes would be effected by these, depending on how long and harsh winters they have.

You should be able to clear the snow from the solar panels, the way you can clear snow with pawns on cleaning duty, and solar panels should lose efficiency also after lesser snow falling the same way walking speed gradually is reduced by snow.

Brilliant ideas.

In tundra lands, winter is harsh mistress. Very cold.
Healer got his legs torn off by hellspawn today, bugs exploded from someones floor, and its been a toxic fallout nuclear winter for the past week. Then a solar flare hit.

Thyme

wind chill does NOT drop temperatures. It makes the perceived temperatur appear lower than the actual temperature.

How to: Air around you gets warmed up a bit by your body, which decreases the loss of warmth due to lower temperature gradient. That effect gets negated by winds (constantly moving the warmed air away). Evaporation also plays a major role. More wind -> more wind chill.
There's also a reversed wind chill effect (or wind grill ^^) for T above body temp
*non-100%-scientific-explanation check wiki for more info
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

DirectorBright

Quote from: Thyme on November 17, 2016, 01:08:01 PM
wind chill does NOT drop temperatures. It makes the perceived temperatur appear lower than the actual temperature.

How to: Air around you gets warmed up a bit by your body, which decreases the loss of warmth due to lower temperature gradient. That effect gets negated by winds (constantly moving the warmed air away). Evaporation also plays a major role. More wind -> more wind chill.
There's also a reversed wind chill effect (or wind grill ^^) for T above body temp
*non-100%-scientific-explanation check wiki for more info

I am aware. However, this doesn't really make a difference in practice does it? If the temperature is -40, with no wind, and if the temperature is -20 with wind chill making it feel like -40, you'll still be frostbit just as quickly.

However, I have misused the term here. What I should have said is that the temperature drops due to the cold front brought in by the storm. Basically a cold snap accompanies the sudden storm.

PaoLorenz

Quote from: DirectorBright on November 10, 2016, 02:51:36 AM

Frozen Swamps:
Marshes and Swamps should freeze in the winter, making them equivalent to ice.

And this, of course, means skating is the new option for joy !!!
;D