Is the new tunneler (or indoorsman) trait appear too much?

Started by khun_poo, July 17, 2018, 02:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khun_poo

Around 3 out of 5 roll of randomize colonist got this trait. Not sure if it just me or what but this trait appear a lot.

DubskiDude

I've noticed that too. And Indoorsman is really kind of a useless trait.

Razzoriel

Note: There are several backstories that force this trait

In the XML.

khun_poo

Quote from: Razzoriel on July 17, 2018, 03:37:10 PM
Note: There are several backstories that force this trait

In the XML.

Aww... that's explain it, thanks.

I hope they reduce it though  :-\

bbqftw

Quote from: DubskiDude on July 17, 2018, 03:04:09 PM

it's a great trait, as it decreases chance of auto reject traits appearing.

Sirsir

Quote from: bbqftw on July 17, 2018, 04:32:02 PM
Quote from: DubskiDude on July 17, 2018, 03:04:09 PM

it's a great trait, as it decreases chance of auto reject traits appearing.

It also decreases the chance of good traits appearing... Even as someone who does primarily mountain maps, its kind of a dud. Something as mild and easy to deal with as Cabin Fever probably shouldn't have a trait for it...

Boboid

I wouldn't really call it a dud.
If you're deliberately changing the way you design your base to accommodate for the outdoor requirement then Indoorsman objectively has a use :P

As for its commonality - A lot of the tribal backstories in particular force it. All the Cave related backstories.

For researchers, full time crafters, and cooks it's an excellent trait.
I've been playing primarily on flat maps in 1.0 and it's consistently useful.

As for the argument that it's "wasting" a trait slot - Mostly when it comes to colonists all you're really trying to do is avoid critical failures, you're not aiming for Tough,Industrious, Sanguine, 20 y/o's.
Mostly you're hoping that your next recruit won't be a abrasive, depressive, pyromaniac.

Broadly speaking neutral traits increase the % of useable recruits.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

khun_poo

I think it's a good trait with no demerit. The point of the subject is that the trait appear too much on Lost tribe scenario character randomize. I think it is because Lost tribe people have least backstories than colonist scenario.

If I recall, there are...
Weaver, Loner, Digger, Muffalo shaman, Healer, Warrior, Cave tender, Scout, Gatherer and Lore keeper.
10 in total (maybe more :P)
Digger and Cave tender are the only 2 with fixed indoorsman trait.

About the child back story, there is...
Tribe child, Reclusive child, Vengeful child, Scavenger, Cave child, Fire keeper, Sole survival, Herder and Abandoned child.
Only Cave child is the one with fixed indoorsman trait.

Also, the pawn can random indoorsman trait on their own even without these fixed backstories too.

I'm not count in those unique backstories just in case.
The Unique character are Darklight, Sam, Val, Wolle, Huntsman, Hump, Hakuja, Riesling and Dan.

I'm really suck at math so it is roughly +30% chance each randomize on tribal pawn to spawn indoorsman trait if cut off the chance that unique character is spawn. That's around 1 out of 3 roll which is way too high.

My opinion is that, how about add more backstories for tribal for more variation? :)

mndfreeze

As someone who plays mostly in the mountains, I like the trait quite a bit.  I find it far from useless until the mid to late game when you can keep happiness so high it doesn't matter to be 'entombed', but for tribal starts that's quite a long way off usually and mental breaks are usually the worst in the start of the game when you don't have nearly as many ways to cope with it and can be the difference of a new colony wipe or not.

I do agree that more tribal backgrounds would be nice, but I also like the fact that there are not nearly as many heavily negative ones like the spacer choices.  Tribal is harder to get established as it is due to what you start with.