emergency heat for free

Started by Rafe009, June 19, 2015, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe009

Is it possible to generate heat for free from Molotovs as long as you are not outside but in a closed in space or must they consume some other source of fuel like log items on the ground, wood flooring or crops to generate heat within an enclosed space?

RickyMartini

Molotovs spawn oil puddles as soon as they land on the ground. I guess that is what gets burned and generated the flames/heat. After that, if there isn't anything else within 2 tiles the flames vanish.

Arigas

Stockpile some wood or something in the room, throw molotov, free heat!

RickyMartini

Flames are terrible for this anyway. Only 1 flame can already overheat a room. Just built campfires.

milon

Camp fires take WAY too much wood, and you only need them in cold biomes - where it's really hard to get wood (I mostly play on Ice Sheet).  The Molotov idea is quite good, IMO. Infinite fire for free.  Over heating is easily dealt with via no-roof zones.

Rafe009

So if there is ever a situation where you might have a tribal zerg rush and they damage some heat generating equipment or breach a wall letting the blistering cold in you can use their bodies - of which i usually have tons - for heat, your place will smell like the gateway to hell with burned and charred flesh but at least you will be warm.

muffins

Geothermal vents produce a crazy amount of heat. You could wall one in and vent it into your base.

Cdr.Keen

Quote from: muffins on June 20, 2015, 12:24:46 PM
Geothermal vents produce a crazy amount of heat. You could wall one in and vent it into your base.

room temperature went up to ~80°C - it's good to warm up some other rooms, but (luckily) not enough to start a fire.
be water my friend!