How to deal with dead bodies?

Started by Taboo102, August 20, 2014, 04:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taboo102

I have this problem every time I play the random storyteller. Through strange events, like visitors going crazy and turning on each other, or the ridiculously large visiting and attacking groups you can get at the same time, or just regular attacks by very large attack forces, I end up with a lot of dead bodies lying around. They drive my colonists crazy and then I lose. I don't know how to deal with the sheer magnitude of dead bodies I end up with. What should I do? I'm tired of losing games because of dead bodies.

StorymasterQ

Isn't that the point of Randy? Being random? I suppose you could lower the difficulty setting, but where's the fun in that?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

muffins

More dedicated haulers, and have fire-proof corpse dumps close by to the main killing areas that are set to be not home areas, then get a pawn to hurl molotov cocktails at the corpses.

If you have to, order your haulers to haul corpses that are in high traffic areas first.

Also, rose gardens. Once you get the alert that one of your guys is about to go psycho, conscript him and have him stand in the rose gardens for a bit. Often you only have to conscript and right away unconscript him again so he abandons his current job and goes for something to eat or some sleep.

Shinzy

Quote from: muffins on August 20, 2014, 05:17:50 AM
Also, rose gardens. Once you get the alert that one of your guys is about to go psycho, conscript him and have him stand in the rose gardens for a bit. Often you only have to conscript and right away unconscript him again so he abandons his current job and goes for something to eat or some sleep.

I prefer huddling these guys together right next to Royal bed and have someone to chat with them, too +15 and friendly chat x3 is pretty good way to keep anyone sane

There's just something very soothing about Royal beds
I've said this before and I'll say it again! Cult of royal bed worshippers is the only true religion

UrbanBourbon

The corpses might not be your enemy but the general lack of mood boosters in your colony that would work as a shield against the corpse mood penalty. Is your colony dirty? Does your colony have a lot of gravel, concrete or rough rock floors? All are considered 'ugly' by the colonists. Do your guys sleep in shared bedrooms? Do they eat raw food or paste? Do away with the other penalties. As said, roses are also freaking effective, so I suggest planting them next to your defensive positions, so your guys can absorb happiness WHILE they do horrible things to raiders.

Always keep an eye on the 'Thoughts' tab of each colonist.

Where do these bodies accumulate? In your base or outdoors? Is simply leaving the corpses out there an option? Personally, I don't touch corpses that are outside my colony. I think I recently had my 1000th corpse...

milon

So, beautiful area/room with a Royal Bed surrounded by roses.  And a chatty group of drafted psychos.  ;)

Also, the Bloodlust trait is extremely helpful!

bobucles

QuotePersonally, I don't touch corpses that are outside my colony. I think I recently had my 1000th corpse...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp9K4-DHsBA

Shinzy

Quote from: milon on August 20, 2014, 09:07:02 AM
So, beautiful area/room with a Royal Bed surrounded by roses.  And a chatty group of drafted psychos.  ;)

Also, the Bloodlust trait is extremely helpful!

You've got it all figured out!

starscream

or you can use the blind braindamaged tribal you captured to haul and burn the bodies.

Lost Cause

The big issue is not being able to specify who handle bodies. I had a very neurotic colonist with 18 ranks in craft. If they so much as saw a body they snapped. I had to capture and re-recruit them 3 times in their first year but just leaving them to do their thing for a week cleared all the rock rubble off my map and filled two large stockpiles with stone blocks so keeping them around is well worth it.
You have to micro manage hauling and cremation jobs and you can't just leave it to the pawns to figure it out because the blasted iron-willed optimist will start making stone blocks in the garden, surrounded by roses and potted plants while the neurotic has a break down in the middle of the desert over the bloated corpse of a tribal he got within 100 yards of. This just relay frustrates me as preventing it usually involves turning off cremation and hauling on the people I don't want to do it and waiting until all the nearby bodies are all dragged to a stockpile inside my base beside the crematorium then forbidding all the rest. Once that is done the neurotic and any other crater that just can't hack it need to be drafted and sent to stand together in the pretty corner while the crematorium is turned on and all the other craft objects are turned off and you have to keep it that way until the pile of bodies is gone X.x
It would be so much easier if you could just turn on the crematorium and tell Mr Always Happy to go grab bodies off the map and go straight to the incinerator without ever needing to stockpile them inside or near the base and to keep doing that until he ran out of bodies. no one else gets the job and he does no other job until it's finished (other than sleeping and eating. Although he did man a mortar for 4 days...).
It would also be nice to be able to tell people with hauling turned on to leave the bodies for the cheerful chap with the lobotomy scar.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

bobucles

The crematorium is a mod so it's really a problem with how the job is assigned. Just use a burn pile and keep your neurotics off of hauling/cleaning duty, since those two jobs get them wandering the most.

Lost Cause

Quote from: bobucles on August 20, 2014, 01:10:53 PM
The crematorium is a mod so it's really a problem with how the job is assigned. Just use a burn pile and keep your neurotics off of hauling/cleaning duty, since those two jobs get them wandering the most.
There is a mod for a crematorium? That seems pointless unless it was just made for art replacement. I was referring to the little burner thing that lets you cremate clothing and bodies which is certainly not a mod. Cremation is a craft activity. Anyone with crafting on will do it. You can't specify who wont touch corpses. Handling of bodies is lumped in with all hauling jobs and all craft jobs and sadly, in the case of hauling, bodies are prioritized so they always get hauled first X.x
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

HatesYourFace

Build two Crematoriums, the bodies will disappear twice as fast. Also make sure you build them close to your turret area/base entrance that way there is a minimum amount of distance to travel with each body from the most likely place they will die. Make a Dumping stockpile next to the Crematoriums for corpses (Preferably in a closed space behind a door so colonists aren't constantly seeing them. After a large attack go to Manual Priorities and set 2 colonists to Craft, and the rest to Haul. Don't do anything (Except possibly have a guy on Growing/Wardening if you are short on food/have prisoners.) except Cremate and Haul bodies until they are gone, then switch back to Auto Priorities. I leave my Manual Work page set up like this at all times so I can easily and quickly clear all corpses from my killbox in short order. (Another tip: Turn off the Crematoriums power supply with the "V" key when you don't have any more bodies to dispose of, it will save you a lot of power.)

One of the things you learn after playing RimWorld for a while is that the aftermath of an attack can be just as dangerous if not more so than the actual attack. Treat it accordingly, focus on disposal until it's taken care of, the attack isn't really over till every body is gone. Show no mercy to those corpses!
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

hunter2012