A12 its all gone a bit Scottish.

Started by Listy, September 11, 2015, 10:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Rainforest biome tends to have year-round growing period, and very common and long rains. The rains mean you should put most of your machines under a roof (as opposed to a Desert where you can keep batteries outdoors). I think there's also an undocumented feature which makes items in the rain deteriorate faster. And it has an emphasis on diseases.
* Malaria is a quite plain Rimworld disease, except that it very often hits multiple colonists at the same time.
* Sleeping Sickness has very minor effect, but lasts very long. Unless the colonist is old, you don't you can just apply treatment and eject him from bed.
Old people seem to gain immunity much slower.

TLHeart

If you look at the immunity gain yes age is a factor.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 12, 2015, 05:41:54 AM
Oh that plant idea is awsome  :o  Man-eaters or just leg eaters. Who colony of pirates with peg-legs arrrrg....

Have you ever survived malaria without an actual bed and just sleep spots?

wait read that completely wrong.
malaria kills only if you ignore it, suffice to say though.

my colonists have spent years stuck in a medical bed personally, she needed a brainstem replacement thing, just force them into whatever bed you can that's indoor and marked medical and let the healer feed and medicate them daily or however often needed.

Listy

Things have gone from bad to worse...

Bunch of Alpaca's went nuts and decided to man hunt. Fine, assemble troops to your defence positions.
Waiting... no Alpaca's. I then spot that my front door is still closed, not locked open like it should be. So they were hanging around out front not doing anything. So I tried a psychic soothe artefact to calm them all down. No effect. Then a Bunch of pirates showed up to run a siege (thanks Randy!). This calls for emergency measures! Trigger the Animal horde psychotic artefact.

I promptly got savaged inside my base by my herd of cows. Once they'd all been dealt with, I checked on the pirates. They'd lost some manpower after getting charged by a bunch of boomalope's, and critically the fires had killed off their Mortars. So they'll be assaulting soon, which is good because out side my front door:

http://i.imgur.com/9Q9giOg.jpg

That's what 36 Cobra's, 17 boomalopes, 10 Monkeys, 18 Capybara, 8 Wild Stallions! boars, 13 Alpaca, 23 Chinchilla, 3 tortoises and a partridge in a pear tree look like!

Nebbie

Diseases and infections currently are rather broken. The big issue is that IRL you don't need to be in bed 24/7 next to an EKG from the moment you get a disease to have good immunity; EKGs only really help when things are going really bad and you just need to not exert yourself much (no work) and get good rest and good medicine. In Rimworld, however, EKGs and resting are just a constant immunity buff, and even the flu can easily kill a healthy middle-aged colonist who doesn't get that buff and good medicine constantly.

I find arid shrubland to be the best biome. Year-round growing with low rainfall, plenty of big animals to tame or hunt, and you never have to worry about malaria or sleeping sickness.

TLHeart

It is not that diseases and infections are broken, it is that if you have set the patient priority to 1, then they will stay in bed until healed.  This has been an on going balance issue for 2 alphas now, just how long should a colonist stay in bed, when should they go to the medical bed, and when should they get up?

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: TLHeart on September 15, 2015, 04:45:54 PM
It is not that diseases and infections are broken, it is that if you have set the patient priority to 1, then they will stay in bed until healed.  This has been an on going balance issue for 2 alphas now, just how long should a colonist stay in bed, when should they go to the medical bed, and when should they get up?

that is a useful behavior that i hope we never have to lose, all the same.