Am I missing something with roofing?

Started by discogeek, August 30, 2016, 08:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

discogeek

So I have a structure I built a few seasons back... all the walls and doors and wires and floors were put into place.  I've got the place marked as a roofed zone.  But my colonists have constantly ignored putting in the roof, even going to their lower priority tasks below construction (e.g., cooking or hauling) leaving the roof off the building. 

It's right between their bedrooms and the dining room, so they're constantly walking past it.

Is there something I'm not getting with them building roofs?  I'm aware of the "build roof area" zone and use it.  Sort of feels most of the time I have to place them manually.  Once in a while I'll see people doing it automatically.  This one structure in particular has been sitting unroofed for roughly two seasons now.

BeastNips

I'm pretty new to the game and someone will probably reply soon with a better answer, but here goes!
Is there a chance the potentially roofed area is too far from a supporting wall, meaning they avoid building it because it would collapse? If so, try placing some pillars of wall to support it.

One thing I've also done by accident is used the home tool thinking I'm using the roofing tool, worth double checking!

Serenity

Can happen. The AI isn't the best and general construction jobs have a higher priority than roofing. It's one reason why I want a tool to prioritize all work in an entire area.

You can try to manually order a pawn to roof one tile and then lock them in the room.

BlackSmokeDMax

How big is the room? Roof sections can not be more than 6 tiles from the nearest support. Effectively, the biggest roof you can make is 12 x however long you want, without supports in the middle.

Serenity

This happens with smaller areas too. They just prefer to do something else and never get back to the roof. Or they do some tiles and then walk off again.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Serenity on August 30, 2016, 11:52:28 AM
This happens with smaller areas too. They just prefer to do something else and never get back to the roof. Or they do some tiles and then walk off again.

Oh no, I agree with that. Roofing seems to be about the lowest priority construction there is. But if the area is to big, the OP may be waiting forever for a different reason.

I do say the best way to build buildings now is one at a time. If you want to plan them all out in advance, use the planning tool, or else lay them out, but then forbid them. Planning out a ton of construction leads to nothing getting completely finished.

By the way OP, one way to get them to make the roofs is lock the constructor in the room you want roofed. As long as the pawn isn't so tired it sleeps on the floor, it will build the roof if possible, else it will start cleaning. If it starts cleaning you have some issue with the roof.

Serenity

QuoteRoofing seems to be about the lowest priority construction there is
It actually isn't. Get Fluffy's Work Tab mod. It allows you set the priorities of sub-jobs. It's not as low as one may think. Deconstructing, constructing and delivering resources come before it. But it's above floors or repairing.

PotatoeTater

Also check your restricted areas and homezone. Sometimes that can cause problems, otherwise just micro your pawns to work on it.
Life is Strange

SpaceDorf

I forget to remove "no-roof " areas from time to time, have you checked for that ?
the roof does not get build then.

If everything checks out, locking a builder in the room works best.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 30, 2016, 12:47:57 PM
I forget to remove "no-roof " areas from time to time, have you checked for that ?
the roof does not get build then.

If everything checks out, locking a builder in the room works best.

I was scrolling down to ask you that very question, i've done that so, so many times.. lol

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Serenity on August 30, 2016, 12:30:56 PM
QuoteRoofing seems to be about the lowest priority construction there is
It actually isn't. Get Fluffy's Work Tab mod. It allows you set the priorities of sub-jobs. It's not as low as one may think. Deconstructing, constructing and delivering resources come before it. But it's above floors or repairing.

I was going to actually say above floors, lol. Repairing has its own box in the work tabs, so that shouldn't be affected at all, besides being further right if they are set at the same number, so that makes sense, you can prioritize repairing over constructing in vanilla easily enough.

And yeah, I use Fluffy's Work Tab mod, it is awesome. Although I have been playing A15 for a while now, so am going through a bit of withdrawal on that front!