[W|0.6.532] Enemies can't get in

Started by Uocjat, August 29, 2014, 03:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uocjat

Seems I somehow managed to break the AI - don't know if it's something to do with the way the entrance is setup or if something just broke for the save but ever since I finished up the outer wall and the entrance bit (yes I know what it looks like and no it wasn't intentional) whenever an enemy raid shows up they'll charge the base, get within 10-20 squares of the entrance and then just stop and stand there till they either give up and leave or starve to death (or another group of people shows up and they have a shootout between them)

only had once or twice where a single enemy managed get far enough in that they actually kept going

Small Update:
tried using god mode to quickly rebuild the base in a different map and the same thing happened
seems to have something to do with the turret placements if I remove the two by the doors raiders will happily walk in through the middle

incase it's not entirely obvious from the screenshot the turrets have been set up in such a way that there's no "safe" cover from where you could shoot any of the turrets (only cover from where you can shoot a turret is covered by another turret)
guess it's a little too effective

MoparGamer

Could you try replacing the turrets with a wall and see if the same thing still happens? Also, see if the debug log (press "`" or "~") says anything?

Uocjat

debug logs shows nothing except for some random squirrel that got stuck and teleported somewhere else on the map

tried a few different combination of replacing the turrets with walls and seems like the single one on the right is actually irrelevant if the two left ones are there enemies stop of they're not or replaced with walls they run in just fine

also tried replacing the doors next to the turrets with walls thinking maybe they wanted to go there but change their minds due to the turret but that seemed to make no difference what so ever

turned on the show paths thing for one of the raiders as they were coming in from their drop point and for the part from the drop point till he got close to the base the path actually showed him going down the middle but as he got close the path just disappeared and he stop and switched to "standing"

MoparGamer

My only guess is that they're trying to decide what turret to attack but getting confused for some reason, does removing 1 of the two left turrets do anything?

Uocjat

Quote from: MoparGamer on August 29, 2014, 03:50:07 PM
My only guess is that they're trying to decide what turret to attack but getting confused for some reason, does removing 1 of the two left turrets do anything?

strangely enough that doesn't do anything even if they're coming from the side with no turret
but as soon as I remove the last one they'll flood in no problem

MoparGamer

One last guess, they can't find a valid spot to shoot from? try removing a single rock chunk infront of the turret?

Uocjat

Quote from: MoparGamer on August 29, 2014, 04:31:25 PM
One last guess, they can't find a valid spot to shoot from? try removing a single rock chunk infront of the turret?
looks like you're on to something there
as soon as I remove a block of rubble within range of their weapons they'll move in to attack the turret even if there's nothing between them and the turret to provide any sort of cover
in fact they're so hell bent on those turrets that you can actually remove all the rubble that has no relation to a turret and they'll still stand around doing nothing instead of chancing it and run through 2 squares of firing line to get in

Uocjat

made a new very simple setup
same result

MoparGamer

Well, not sure what else there is to do now :P

Best defence system ever?

Uocjat

Quote from: MoparGamer on August 29, 2014, 05:40:34 PM
Well, not sure what else there is to do now :P

Best defence system ever?
certainly seems like it doesn't it? :P
now if only it would keep out visitors that come to eat all my food...

MoparGamer

ZestyLemons

I think some of the above people are right, it looks like if you have a turret but nowhere to stand to be able to shoot it (entire ground covered in rubble, sandbags, etc, just stuff you can't stand on) then I guess the AI fails to path anywhere. Sort of like:

1) There's a turret, I want to destroy it!
2) In order to destroy the turret, I should shoot at it
3) In order to shoot at it, I need somewhere to stand where I can see it
4) The AI can't find anywhere to stand (due to ground being covered in rubble) where they can see/shoot the turret, and get stuck in a loop of trying to find somewhere to stand I guess.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: ZestyLemons on August 30, 2014, 01:24:53 PM
I think some of the above people are right, it looks like if you have a turret but nowhere to stand to be able to shoot it (entire ground covered in rubble, sandbags, etc, just stuff you can't stand on) then I guess the AI fails to path anywhere. Sort of like:

1) There's a turret, I want to destroy it!
2) In order to destroy the turret, I should shoot at it
3) In order to shoot at it, I need somewhere to stand where I can see it
4) The AI can't find anywhere to stand (due to ground being covered in rubble) where they can see/shoot the turret, and get stuck in a loop of trying to find somewhere to stand I guess.

I think, between 3 and 4, there's a "There's a place to stand, I'll stand there." and "Now I should shoot something." Then it goes back to 1.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here