Alpha Animals (aka Vanilla Friendly Animals)

Started by A Friend, December 15, 2015, 11:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want an early release? We can do that if wanted, but the animals won't have the special abilities (Like projectile attacks) that was planned for them.

Release it early, I'd like some variety now. This human leather chair that I sit on cannot hold my patience any longer.
6 (37.5%)
Heck no. Why wouldn't you want to see the Gallatross throw nuke rocks!? That's heresy!
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: February 10, 2016, 06:48:44 AM

skullywag

Update!

Got all animals (up to phase 2) spawning in their relevant biomes (without overriding the biomes def so totally compatible with everything)

All have the setup for relevant blood colour, meat colour etc (yes thats a thing now).

All have their melee attacks added including some with the new surprise attack mechanic (adds stun to the attack)

I think ive got most of the sizing right but it can be tweaked easily anyways.

I think ive got most of the predator/herd/other stuff done.

Im now just hooking in the ranged attack stuff.

Need to add devil sheep to traders.

May sort out a hive incident for some of the insects...maybe

once those last few things are done, i reckon we will be ready for a first release.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

AllenWL

Quote from: A Friend on April 11, 2016, 11:58:24 PM
Quote from: AllenWL on April 11, 2016, 03:47:52 AM
Cool idea

That's a pretty cool idea for an attack. But I'd like to keep the Air jelly harmless though.
I'll reserve that for another creature.

Quote from: Wild Card on April 11, 2016, 06:15:07 AM
Could you make the aerofleet to be water based/dependant ?
I e to spawn in every biome and only on maps that have bodies of water . you could say it`s related to their movement as they absorb water and propell themselves using hidrogen in said water

I dunno if it's possible but I prefer not to restrict the animal too much to a very specific map condition. But that's a pretty nice way of explaining how it floats. I'll add it as a description.

Also, I made a rough size comparison of how I imagine the creatures would look like. Might be different to how it would appear ingame tho

http://i.imgur.com/xEn2EQ8.png
So yes "Giant" Spiders
Did not realize those woodlice-things or hermit crabs were so... gigantic..... like... whoa...

I've always wanted a stun-type attack thing in the game. Not to capture people without killing them, no. Well, if you have 10+ attacking one guy, maybe, but more like reduce movement a bit, mess with their aim, stuff like that. Anyways, the reason is I felt rimworld lacked heavily in the way of 'support roles'.

Things like a 'flare' of sorts to light up enemy positions making it easier to aim, things that make the enemy less efficient, and so on. I mean, we have dogs rescuing people and maybe mortars and incendiary launchers, but otherwise, it's all things to beat, stab, shoot, and otherwise kill people with various levels of success.

Quote from: A Friend on April 12, 2016, 06:23:26 AM
Oh they're the "larger cousins" of the megascarab. I might make a raid event of sorts when I manage to make a bunch of them.
Seeing how the megascarab finally met up with it's other nest-mates in A13, will your mutant-mechanoid-slaying insects also spawn from the underground insect hives?

A Friend

Quote from: AllenWL on April 12, 2016, 09:10:24 AM
Oh they're the "larger cousins" of the megascarab. I might make a raid event of sorts when I manage to make a bunch of them.
Seeing how the megascarab finally met up with it's other nest-mates in A13, will your mutant-mechanoid-slaying insects also spawn from the underground insect hives?

Oh the insect hives are linked to the megascarabs? Haven't encountered the event yet. Didn't know that.
I made those two before A13 and that's what I imagined the bigger insectoids would be like

Welp. I may replace the hive insects to look more like the ones I have here and then consider including them in hive stuffs.

Edit:
By "may" I mean will.
Megascarab redo
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Toggle

The big fluffy ones will just kill you out of pure fear.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

skullywag

Question: would you guys want to pick and choose the animals that get added? Or is an all or nothing approach acceptable?

dragoduval

Im for everything, damn those new pets look awesome :D. Im already building new cage to add them to my collection.

Also do you still take request ? If no then ignore me :D
Im making my own mod !!!! Also im pretty sure that i started World Wars 3.....

Also if i spawn too many subject then dont mind me, i'm just bored at school :D. Damn 3 hours long video's....

Mr.Cross

Claims to know most things.

Wild Card

NoImageAvailable

Things like a 'flare' of sorts to light up enemy positions making it easier to aim, things that make the enemy less efficient, and so on. I mean, we have dogs rescuing people and maybe mortars and incendiary launchers, but otherwise, it's all things to beat, stab, shoot, and otherwise kill people with various levels of success.

Its funny, I actually had a discussion just earlier today on about adding illumination rounds for mortars and whether people would actually bother with them, seeing as it seems many people don't even use EMP mortars as it is.

Quote from: skullywag on April 12, 2016, 01:05:03 PM
Question: would you guys want to pick and choose the animals that get added? Or is an all or nothing approach acceptable?

Why not both? Could use the MCM menu CCL added to toggle individual animals on and off. Would be the optimal solution (and by that I mean the one that makes the most work for the modder :P)

On a side note, I find it funny that the animal with the largest body size is also the one with the least distinctive features, to the point of essentially being a shapeless blob with two eyeslits. With a canvas that large, it might be a good idea to add some kind of details to it.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

skullywag

That was my plan NIA. MCM to enable and disable animals and associated things. Ill release everything in the first instance and maybe do it afterwards. Will see how it goes.

hwoo

Its funny, I actually had a discussion just earlier today on about adding illumination rounds for mortars and whether people would actually bother with them, seeing as it seems many people don't even use EMP mortars as it is.

I recently tested the negative effect of darkness in combat and again and again it looked like there was a 10% accuracy negative for shooting at a target in darkness.

So I made interlocking wood fires and halted them all just before completion. So when I get the mother of all raids at night I just have to quickly spark the matches and thier advantage is gone.

If you added the slow floating down Ww1 era lighting flares I would use the heck out of them. So bloody usefull.

AllenWL

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on April 12, 2016, 03:44:02 PM

But then again, EMP only works for mechs, and they gain immunity after a few hits anyways. Mortars are expensive. Why waste steel for a mortar that can only be used on mechanoids. and then only for two, three hits per battle anyways? If EMP was say, a 'electroshock mortar' thing that did something like say, lower consciousness by 10% for x time when hit for any unit, I bet people would use it more. Probably.

Quote from: A Friend on April 12, 2016, 11:08:29 AM

Oh the insect hives are linked to the megascarabs? Haven't encountered the event yet. Didn't know that.
I made those two before A13 and that's what I imagined the bigger insectoids would be like

Welp. I may replace the hive insects to look more like the ones I have here and then consider including them in hive stuffs.

Edit:
By "may" I mean will.
Megascarab redo

Yep. The large bugs are called megaspiders I think? the medium ones are spedalopes or something similar. Megascrabs spawn from hives as well as the other two. I think your bugs(the big one in particular) ace all three though, from sheer size if nothing else.

A Friend

Quote from: dragoduval on April 12, 2016, 01:46:00 PM
Im for everything, damn those new pets look awesome :D. Im already building new cage to add them to my collection.

Also do you still take request ? If no then ignore me :D

Assuming your limbs are still attached after your attempts to tame them!
And as for requests... well, I take suggestions and ideas and see whether it will work or not.

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on April 12, 2016, 03:44:02 PM
On a side note, I find it funny that the animal with the largest body size is also the one with the least distinctive features, to the point of essentially being a shapeless blob with two eyeslits. With a canvas that large, it might be a good idea to add some kind of details to it.
Use your imagination NIA! It's the best source of details.

Mr.Cross

That is one scary blob, maybe some more floating or flying creatures? Maybe like a wyvern. The only question is if you added bird like creatures, how you could get the point across whether they are flying across the ground or hopping... hmm.
Claims to know most things.