How to get the 1.0 dev version

Started by antstar, July 30, 2018, 12:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antstar

So, unsurprisingly, searching 1.0 caused the engine to have issues and give me rubbish. I'm sure this has been asked before though.
I have non steam version, but seems I can only download B18.
How can I try the new 1.0 version??

antstar

I really hope it is not what I read in an article after posting this (and no one replying). I don't use steam. I wont use steam. @Ludeon: No I can't make you make it available to me. But if you don't, that a really really douchey move

BlackSmokeDMax

The 1.0 SendOwl version will only be released when it leaves unstable testing. This has been the way Tynan has been doing it for the last bunch of alphas/betas.

Apparently it is much easier to release to Steam's beta program than setting up downloads through sendowl. And there have been a LOT of updates. Close to daily or every other day since about mid-June.

antstar

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on July 30, 2018, 06:29:55 PM
The 1.0 SendOwl version will only be released when it leaves unstable testing. This has been the way Tynan has been doing it for the last bunch of alphas/betas.

Apparently it is much easier to release to Steam's beta program than setting up downloads through sendowl. And there have been a LOT of updates. Close to daily or every other day since about mid-June.

Thanks for the information. I only discovered this game about 6 months ago, so was not aware.
In that case, I respectfully suggest to Tynan that he has chosen poorly for a distribution provider. He is essentially relying on our good nature to pay anyway (I'm sure I could find a pirate copy of at least B18 within a few minutes of looking - I wont - because if a good game is released at a fair price I am glad to pay and support it and its creator). As long as the financial stuff is handled by some other party, there would be no reason to bother hacking the host - they would have an email address and nothing more. You could find a better one or just do it yourself.

Its not really fair that someone should miss out on trying the dev versions just because they are sticking to an 10 year running boycott of steam.

Just something to think about.

nccvoyager

The 1.0 release (and any subsequent release patches) will be released via SendOwl when it launches.
It has not launched yet, with the current version being an in-development "candidate" for release, with near-daily fixes, changes, and balancing taking place.

I understand the feeling, as when I first bought RimWorld, I had no internet access at home, and therefore relied on games I bought having DRM-free releases.
That said, Steam as a platform does make it extremely easy to roll out quick changes to a beta branch, as well as receive quick feedback from testers, with no repercussions from Valve.

SendOwl is an okay distribution platform, but it has restrictions in place that make constant updates and redownloads impractical.
From what I understand, the reason that only major non-development versions are released to SendOwl is because of the bandwidth restrictions that SendOwl puts on downloads.

At the time Tynan started releasing RimWorld through SendOwl, it was the "least bad" option for DRM-free distribution.
Tynan (and Ludeon) did not have the infrastructure to do the distribution themselves. (Realistically, they still don't. Distribution is hard, and expensive.)
GameJolt, itch.io, and Humble all take a cut of sales, and have their own upload or release restrictions which precluded a release like RimWorld there at the time.
GOG had/has a strict acceptance system, especially for in-development games, while the upload system at the time had issues with getting the updates to users, updates had to be vetted by GOG staff before being pushed, and GOG took a cut of the sales. (SendOwl only charges for download bandwidth; they do not take a cut of the sales.)
While Steam does take a cut of the sales, there are no bandwidth restrictions or costs there, making it a much better place to push 20-150MB updates.

It's your decision to boycott Steam, but I am personally glad that the SendOwl release is actually available.
The same can not be said for many other games, which only ever released through Steam, alone.

Just something to think about.