Roofing

Started by killer117, May 29, 2015, 12:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schizmo

Quote from: Adamiks on May 29, 2015, 05:43:20 PM
And Rimworld isn't called "Fight in the open Simulator 5500" for a reason ;)

This made me laugh cuz I'm 95% sure this game started exclusively as a combat simulator. If you would allow me to pull a quote from the Rimworld website...

"RimWorld uses an engine that was originally developed to power a tactical combat sim"

NeverPire

A soldier trained in this kind of combat sims should think that he can run in the middle of the battlefield without any problem.
I remember how well the Rimworld fighter shoot.

I play all my games in a big one-room wood base with some mortar in the center ready to explode the siege from afar so I don't see the roof problem.

I want also remind that if you manage to let the colonists remove or change the rock roof, you enable and easy way to prevent infestation.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

schizmo

Quote from: NeverPire on January 05, 2017, 01:08:41 PM
A soldier trained in this kind of combat sims should think that he can run in the middle of the battlefield without any problem.
I remember how well the Rimworld fighter shoot.

I play all my games in a big one-room wood base with some mortar in the center ready to explode the siege from afar so I don't see the roof problem.

I want also remind that if you manage to let the colonists remove or change the rock roof, you enable and easy way to prevent infestation.

Rock roof maybe, but most mountain bases contain a vast amount of "overhead mountain" roof which cannot be removed...so...

DariusWolfe

I would support this idea. Bunkers exist for pretty much exactly this reason. A bunker isn't going to withstand extended shelling (which is why places like Cheyenne Mountain exist), but it does mean that you can survive a few shots while you send someone out to deal with the threat.

Make them semi-expensive, (not too expensive; concrete and sandbags are cheap) and give them a severely limited effectiveness for larger rooms (totally ineffective if larger than 4x4, or something similar) and only allow them to take 2-3 hits before breaking into falling rubble, and you'll preserve the need to get out and deal with sieges without meaning anything less than an immediate, overwhelming assault is going to result in half or more of your base being blown to shit.

This would encourage more gameplay in the open without making mountain bases completely unattractive, which appears to be a design goal.

Thyme

I would like to have a thermally insulated room. Sieges never have been a problem to me. Never got shot at, raiders rarely manage to get a mortar built. Sniper rifles and incendiaries are quite nice. Saw a YT video where a guy was using an incendiary mortar to keep them busy untill they collapse from exhaustion.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak