Stone Quarry

Started by Listy, July 05, 2016, 02:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

I like a lot of others play the long game, and recently there's been some talk in General discussion about maps being all mined, with at least two threads mentioning it.
Once the map is all mined out it causes problems, for example you can't replace any stone blocks you're using for construction, this limits building.

So obviously the answer is a "Quarry" like structure. While I use the term Quarry, I suspect "mine" might be a better description, but we'll come to that in a moment.

What, is it?
Have it as a large multi-space object, such as a geothermal generator. For balance place it on the top level of tech research, and yes I can see it breaking down. These could be explained by needing the technology for mining and life support down the shaft, and a air circulation system or lighting breaking down.
If you call it a "Automated Mine/underground Quarry" and have one colonist need to operate it from the surface like a work bench.

What, does it do?
Every so often, as long as its being worked by someone with the mining job, it will chuck out a random type of stone chunk. Now here's the bit about Mine/Quarry.
You could also rarely have it generate a random mineble resource, in random quantity. And here's where you have to decide what the name is, to avoid confusion. If its just producing stone blocks then its a "Quarry", if it has a chance to produce resources then its a "Mine"
The later option also has the advantage of providing some resources that are very hard to get hold of in decent amounts, such as Uranium. These are normally impossible to use just because they're so rare to obtain. Even if you buy every fragment you can form traders it still takes ages to get a usable amount. Have you ever tried amassing the amount of Gold needed for a giant sculpture? I managed it once, back when it was only orbital traders, and they're more likely to carry gold in large amounts. I'd hate to try it these days.
You could also tie the chance of resources or speed of production to the mining skill of the colonist. Because at the moment the mining stat is pretty useless.

haywire-2014

Havan_IronOak

Check out the Industrialization mod. It has quarries https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8902

Listy

Quote from: Havan_IronOak on July 05, 2016, 07:25:59 AM
Check out the Industrialization mod. It has quarries https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8902

Its also a Mod. I tend to not play with mods. Sorry.

Wex

A underground automated mine seems the right answer for endgame's lack of resources. I approve.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

milon

I think this is a good idea.

+1

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Tynan on July 02, 2016, 06:58:34 PM
I've been thinking of a way to mine minerals from the ground. Because mineral exhaustion in long games is a real problem.

Such an addition could involve the generation of stone.  In between veins of metal.

Listy

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on July 05, 2016, 12:01:26 PM
Quote from: Tynan on July 02, 2016, 06:58:34 PM
I've been thinking of a way to mine minerals from the ground. Because mineral exhaustion in long games is a real problem.

Such an addition could involve the generation of stone.  In between veins of metal.

Ahhh, I'm too late, where's that from?

Mutineer

I am against that, too mindless.