Gay man just woo'd gay woman?

Started by dkmoo, January 28, 2017, 11:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkmoo

Hi. I didn't really find any posts for this so thought i'd ask. I'm relatively new to the game but I thought this wasn't supposed to happen based on what people have posted about the '"gay" trait (mainly, will never find the opposite sex attractive)?

So i had Kepler (gay male) and Onesan (gay female) in my startup colony. They had about 70-80 opinions of each other and I just saw Kepler trying (and unsuccessfully) woo Onesan. I thought their gay traits should make the wooing initiation impossible? Is the game's internal gender logic simply flipping the pawn's gender with the gay traits so that Kepler's seeing Onesan as a guy? But if that's the case I should also be seeing straight male trying to hit on a gay male but I never saw that.. Or is what i'm seeing just a bug of a much more complex gender/wooing/relationship logic?

I'll be keeping a close eye on them to see if they eventually become lovers...
Thanks

milon

AFAIK, it doesn't make it impossible - just strongly influences their preferences. If conditions are right, any pawn can woo (or be wooed by) another pawn that's not their preferred gender.

Zhentar

Some pawns, whether or not they have the gay trait, are actually bisexual and may attempt to romance pawn of either gender.

DanielCoffey

Here is an analysis of the code around relationships in the game... https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/02/rimworld-code-analysis/

It is actually a nice read too.

EDIT : Apparently it thinks that (A15 at the time the article was written) gay pawns never find *any* female pawns attractive.
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

MaximStale

Hans Lemurson

I don't see what the problem is.  They're both gay, so doesn't it cancel out?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

sadpickle

Quote from: DanielCoffey on January 28, 2017, 03:38:20 PM
Here is an analysis of the code around relationships in the game... https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/02/rimworld-code-analysis/

It is actually a nice read too.

EDIT : Apparently it thinks that (A15 at the time the article was written) gay pawns never find *any* female pawns attractive.
That article should be approached with a heavy dose of skepticism. The code is presented in such a way that makes me wonder as to it's veracity. Did Tynan include the comments (marked by // at the beginning of a line) within the "revealed" code? And if not, why should we trust any of the code snippets the article has presented as being accurate?

Trylobyte

It's not wise to bring that article up on these forums.  It had some issues with it, and I'd not care to fan that fire again.

Zhentar

Both the comments and the "code" snippets were authored for the article. We don't know what (if any) comments Tynan left in the code. The behavioral descriptions were mostly accurate (my only correction would be that attractiveness is not a 0.0 to 1.0 scale, it is a factor with no upper bound) for the A15 logic (though it is perhaps deceptively incomplete with the omission of compatibility).

But that is irrelevant for the discussion at hand because the logic was significantly changed for A16. In A16, pawns have gaydar (but it only reduces the likelihood of romance attempts, not entirely preventing them),.

Jarwy

Quote from: Trylobyte on January 28, 2017, 07:17:55 PM
It's not wise to bring that article up on these forums.  It had some issues with it, and I'd not care to fan that fire again.

I actually didn't see anything wrong with article. Then I made the mistake of looking at the comments. *cough*

Moving on...