Don't be jerks on Steam.

Started by top_hat_tomato, July 15, 2016, 09:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top_hat_tomato

Seriously guys, at least try to represent our little community with more insightful comments than stuff like 'Dumbass', 'you have brain damage', or even
'go [redacted] kill yourself [redacted1] [redacted2] [redacted3] [redacted3] [redacted4] [redacted2] [redacted1] [redacted5] [redacted4] [redacted1] [redacted3] [redacted2] [redacted3] [redacted1] me [redacted3] [redacted2] [redacted4] [redacted2] [redacted4] [redacted4] [redacted3] [redacted3] [redacted1] you [redacted3] [redacted5] [redacted3] bloody [redacted5] [redacted1] you suck my [redacted6] [redacted7] [redacted2]'

I mean... come on... that insult isn't even unique or meaningfull...

Dougalishere

this is probably one of the nicest comminities ive ever seen, (i dont post much , but ive lurked for years now:D ) would be nice if we can maybe foster this over on steam , just ignore trolls and hopefully the niceness that is this forum can carry on over to the steam forum (at least for this game)

Chibiabos

Are you sure they are old timer players from here?  Or just general Steam trolls?

Sadly the more people play Rimworld, the greater the chance trolls/griefers are among them :/  Tynan and his crew have been very personal and responsive, but unfortunately trolls and griefers have a way at getting under the skin of even the thickest-skinned folk.  I hope that doesn't wind up disrupting Tynan & Crew's constructive direct conversations on these forums or force Tynan to take another long vacation.  Unfortunately these trolls are very good at getting the strongest ... even big names like Boogie2988 and TotalBiscuit, two very popular and 'big name' Youtube gamecasters/game reviewers have both suffered psychological harm due to trolls and have had to take time out from their YouTube monetized video livelihoods to reset from effing asshats.

Dunno if its been considered, but I hope Tynan ponders finding some ultra-thick-skinned, ultra-levelheaded, ultra-cool-under-fire person to kinda steward the ludeon and steam forums to keep himself and the rest of us sane.  (No, I am definitely NOT such a person).  I know its an extra person to pay, but ... if it means more productive peace for the actual production crew as well as for us existing (and the hordes of new customers whom aren't trolls), might be worth considering ... cash for sanity protection, heh.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

cultist

And honestly, there's no need. The game already has a staggering amount of positive reviews and currently only 2(!) negative ones, both of which are poorly worded and focus on nitpicking rather than proper critizism. I'm really happy to see Rimworld get such a great launch and I hope it can keep up the pace in the coming days.

quxzcover

i don't mind negative reviews, and i usually only read negative reviews when going to buy a game, but rimworld as is, has 5 negative reviews to hundreds of positive, and the negative reviews don't even have proper criticism. in my knowledge negative reviews are supposed to reflect what the game developer can do to better the game but hasn't yet or won't. none of the negative reviews properly do that.

Playbahnosh

The Steam forums is pure cancer, just like it always been. With Valve's complete hands-off approach by delegating moderation of a game's boards to the owners/crew, this will never change. Just try to disregard raging lunatics, trolls and stupid children, not much we can do.

viperwasp

I agree some of us need to get our act together. I'm not like that though I allow everyone to have a fair view and opinion and this game can be difficult.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Aatxe360

Quote from: quxzcover on July 16, 2016, 01:28:17 AM
i don't mind negative reviews, and i usually only read negative reviews when going to buy a game, but rimworld as is, has 5 negative reviews to hundreds of positive, and the negative reviews don't even have proper criticism. in my knowledge negative reviews are supposed to reflect what the game developer can do to better the game but hasn't yet or won't. none of the negative reviews properly do that.

I disagree with you.  And the amount of players from this community that are downvoting the negative reviews just because they're negative leave a terrible taste in my mouth.  Reviews are opinions.

Not everyone will enjoy the learning curve.  And some reading the positive reviews would think us all lunatics.  And they would be right.

RickyMartini

All the negative reviews until now:

- game is too complicated, negative

- Dwarf fortress clone, negative

- sprites stolen from prison architect, negative

Those aren't very good reviews, and imo deserve to not get a boost in recognition.

Aatxe360

So all you're saying is you don't agree with them.  That's as valid as their opinion. And they wrote out a bit more than you're giving them credit.

I should really stop feeding the trolls.

A Friend

The guy that called it too complex and was overwhelmed by the interface looks like an honest review. I've overcome Dwarf Fortress' UI so I never thought much of it. But maybe it does look overwhelming for new players and is something that should be noted. Though I'm a bit turned off by all the people downvoting him to oblivion.

There's some that just didn't like the game and didn't really say in what aspect. And a few that is just dissapointed that it's not more like a similar game they played. Eh, give it a few days. Valid criticism will come up eventually. Though, sort of afraid that people will go downvote those to the ground as well and send a bad message about the community.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Fafn1r

Rimworld got some exposure on /v/. I assume tis is where most jerk reviews come from.

Grynnreaper

98% positive reviews out of what 753? I think it'll be fine lol. Besides i completely ignore any review with play time of less than an hour. actually i tend to ignore them if they are less that 10 hours.

RickyMartini

Quote from: Aatxe360 on July 16, 2016, 05:59:11 AM
So all you're saying is you don't agree with them.  That's as valid as their opinion. And they wrote out a bit more than you're giving them credit.

I should really stop feeding the trolls.

No, not just that, I don't just disagree with them but they are also just dumb or bad reviews in general. I also downvote every circlejerk good review on steam.

For example, I already downvoted several "Like skyrim with incest 10/10 IGN" reviews because they are outright dumb. There are enough long and thought out reviews where I left a like.

Bastobasto

Not everybody understand it.Being insulted with racist.