[1.0.1982] Gameplay repeatedly pauses at 1-2 second intervals.

Started by Teleblaster18, August 06, 2018, 06:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teleblaster18

Currently, and for the first time during this game, the game will go from any speed (1x, 2x, 3x) and pause itself repeatedly.  Switching back to any speed produces the same result after a second or two.

In B18, I was able to draw a similar correlation, with one event only:  any time that a Cobra was slaughtered via the "slaughter" command, the game would pause.  This happened every time I can recall Cobras being intentionally slaughtered, but did not prove to be a regular enough occurrence to be a problem.

Continuing with this current game is no longer reasonably possible as a result; if there are any logs that can be provided, please instruct me how to do so.  I will also produce the save game file upon request.

Teleblaster18

Two notes:

The problem continues with today's most recent version;  additionally, I re-loaded the B18 version to see if it would experience the same pausing bug, and it does.

I haven't made any (literally zero) changes to either my operating system or software in weeks to months, so at this point, I'm out of options.  It looks like I will have to abandon RimWorld for the forseeable future.

Canute

QuoteI haven't made any (literally zero) changes to either my operating system or software in weeks to months,
too bad steam is doing this for your.
Since you playing unstable 1.0 that software get nearly daily changed.

Since you don't provide an error log.
Delete the config folder, so rimworld can start with fresh settings.
Unsubscribe from any workshop mods if you got any.

Teleblaster18

Quote from: Canute on August 07, 2018, 01:54:19 AM
QuoteI haven't made any (literally zero) changes to either my operating system or software in weeks to months,
too bad steam is doing this for your.
Since you playing unstable 1.0 that software get nearly daily changed.

Since you don't provide an error log.
Delete the config folder, so rimworld can start with fresh settings.
Unsubscribe from any workshop mods if you got any.

Thank you for your kind suggestion, Canute.  Since I've written last, I've entirely de-installed RimWorld, and re-installed it, which I believe would have the same effect.  I've also updated my graphics driver.

I do not play with mods of any sort, so these would not be a factor for me.

None of it seems to work. 

Canute

Nope, deinstall don't erase the config's they are located different.
Check the link from mehni that help's to locate the Config folder, you can delete the scenario too.

And since you reinstalled Rimworld and don't use mod's this is the only idea i got left.

And btw. you wrote it happen with B18 too.
Did you use the same safegame, or did you start a new colony.

Teleblaster18

Quote from: Canute on August 07, 2018, 02:48:25 AM
Nope, deinstall don't erase the config's they are located different.
Check the link from mehni that help's to locate the Config folder, you can delete the scenario too.

And since you reinstalled Rimworld and don't use mod's this is the only idea i got left.

And btw. you wrote it happen with B18 too.
Did you use the same safegame, or did you start a new colony.

Thank you once again;  I deleted the Config folder, and the problem continues to occur.

I save all of my old game files; when I re-loaded B18 last night, I used my last save file which was saved using only B18, from June 18th.

After June 18th, I started a brand new game with the unstable build, so the current save file has only been used with the various versions of 0.19.

Teleblaster18

I'm determined to figure out what behavior is causing this, and I just noticed something very strange:

When colonists are drafted, the problem disappears, and the game will run normally at any speed without pausing.  The moment that they are un-drafted, the pausing problem begins again, immediately.

Teleblaster18

Additionally -

When all 12 of my colonists have been banished, the game runs without any pauses.

Teleblaster18

One final update:

When reloading a game that was saved 2 hours prior to the game save that is causing problems, it seemingly runs flawlessly.

Apparently, I'm back in business...and utterly perplexed.

Canute

So i think some glitch from early unstable version to latest cause this.
And since now all pawn's at latest data structure after some time of playing it should be fine.
But don't forget it is an unstable gameplay, it allways can happen that some real bad can happen that an exist safegame can break.

ison

Could anyone please upload a savefile where this happens?

UncleIROH

When this happened to me. It was because of pathing. I tamed a muffalo very bottom corner of the map. The restricted the new muffalo to the barn, but I guess it was too far away. The game stuttered every few seconds. Turning on the dev console revealed debug messages that said something regarding the pathing reaching its max 16000 cells and aborting.

I switched the muffalo to a closer zone and the game quit the 2 second stutter.

Razuhl

It's one of the faults in vanilla pathfinding. When moving in a forbidden zone each step is punished with an additional high path cost. That means the projected cost is way of and instead of searching towards the goal the algorithm will search in a circular pattern. That means a lot of cells must be evaluated to find the destination and the performance crashes.

Smarter pathfinding would only apply the higher cost to the step that crosses from an allowed zone into a restricted zone.

Teleblaster18

Quote from: ison on August 24, 2018, 08:32:00 AM
Could anyone please upload a savefile where this happens?

I just PM'd you with a download link.  Good luck!