Listening to complaints.

Started by Elixiar, January 18, 2017, 07:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

People seem to be complaining non stop about everything now. Seems to have intensified since alpha 14 jumped to steam too.

Complaints about sieges.
Infestations.
Traits.
Pawns that are not invincible.
Mood debuffs.

Please Tynan do not cave and cater.
Please don't.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Losttruppen

Naturally with a larger audience through steam, volume of people with different concepts of what the game should be will increase, and since this game can be quite ruthless the complaints will rise.

Fortunately there are plenty of mods to cater to these Glitterworld princess'

I have the utmost confidence in Tynan's vision for this game's future and am personally unconcerned. As long as he doesn't decide to add more Sheriff-like backstories to represent the skewed forum demographics. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that...

Orravan

Quote from: Elixiar on January 18, 2017, 07:11:07 AM
People seem to be complaining non stop about everything now. Seems to have intensified since alpha 14 jumped to steam too.

Complaints about sieges.
Infestations.
Traits.
Mood debuffs.

Please don't.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but why exactly do you feel justified and compelled to speak in my, in our behalf? What makes you think your own opinion is worth more than any of ours?
If it feels like "complains" have "intensified" --hint: they haven't--, it's because a lot more people know about the game. It means more voices to be heard on any given topic. It's just a matter of number and proportionality.

Regardless, if a lot of people are complaining about something, it's worth taking the time to think about it, whether you like it or not.
Even though it's mostly polished and bug free, the game is in its alpha stage, there *IS* some balance issues about sieges, traits, infestations, debuffs and whatnot, and as long as new mechanics are added, more balance issues will appear.
That's the whole point of an alpha stage in game development.

If anything, I'm always looking for more challenge and difficulty, and I don't find the survival aspect to be hard enough just yet, but disregarding people with different expectations is a pathetically pretentious and egotistic behaviour.
Your way isn't *the* way, you're not a special snowflake and RW is as much your game as it's everyone else's, so please be kind enough to get off your horse and refrain from playing spokeperson for the RW playerbase.
Thank you.

Elixiar

An absolute valid point, though I don't really see why you feel the need to go in guns blazing.

My issue isn't the fact around balance, but my reasoning is that there have been many, many games where the devs try to appease the complaints and end up with the game either falling apart, or it just becoming so different that the audience that often liked the game from the start isn't the same audience playing it down the line.

My post isn't so much about ignoring outright people with issues.
I just don't want to see this game make the same mistake.

I won't respond to any of your direct digs at me, I just suggest you read the rules.  :)
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

carbon

Tynan is a reasonably bright guy. I wouldn't worry too much about him wrecking his game due to a few people regularly complaining.

That's been happening since A1 and he hasn't caved yet.

Catastrophy

You can't make a game for everyone. But then again there are great mods for the flavouring. If a good stock is delivered it's a job well done.

Valdr

Quote from: Elixiar on January 18, 2017, 09:23:45 AM
An absolute valid point, though I don't really see why you feel the need to go in guns blazing.

My issue isn't the fact around balance, but my reasoning is that there have been many, many games where the devs try to appease the complaints and end up with the game either falling apart, or it just becoming so different that the audience that often liked the game from the start isn't the same audience playing it down the line.

My post isn't so much about ignoring outright people with issues.
I just don't want to see this game make the same mistake.

I won't respond to any of your direct digs at me, I just suggest you read the rules.  :)

Lol, first your opinions on the game are the only ones that matter and then when you get called out your poor widdle feewings get hurt and you start trying to accuse people of rules violations because you have no real arguments.

Orravan

Quote from: Elixiar on January 18, 2017, 09:23:45 AM

If you don't want to be called out for a disrespectful and condescending behaviour, maybe just don't behave that way.
It's all too easy to shelter behind the rules once you've insulted everyone not sharing your own views about what the game should be like, basically asking for people voicing their own concerns and expectations to be branded as whiny and entitled, and duly ignored.

I'm definitely not looking for a quarrel. But your first post was just an uncalled, gratuitous rant, so please show at least some honesty here and own up to what you write.

A couple people have already pointed out that Tynan is a smart and sensible dev, so don't you worry, the core game won't change.
And mods will always be there to fine tune your gameplay.

LordMunchkin

Complaints about sieges.
Infestations.
Traits.
Mood debuffs.

Please don't.

With the exception of invincible pawns, I've been complaining about all of those since they were introduced and I've been playing this game for over three years now. Sieges, are mostly harmless except to the unprepared. Infestations are mostly harmless but have the potential to be rage inducing when they spawn next to sleeping pawns. Traits could use some rebalancing (and we need more traits in general). The mood system is a poorly balanced wreck of a system that has pawns beserking for half a year on a daily basis because they got divorced. Actually, I take that back. There is no balance. Most of the mood values are widely disproportional to each other in ways that defy common sense and work against other game mechanics. I honestly hope this stems from Tynan working on other aspects of the game and not what he perceives as reality.  ;D

milon

Quote from: Orravan on January 18, 2017, 11:55:05 AM
If you don't want to be called out for a disrespectful and condescending behaviour, maybe just don't behave that way.
It's all too easy to shelter behind the rules once you've insulted everyone not sharing your own views about what the game should be like, basically asking for people voicing their own concerns and expectations to be branded as whiny and entitled, and duly ignored.

I'm definitely not looking for a quarrel. But your first post was just an uncalled, gratuitous rant, so please show at least some honesty here and own up to what you write.

A couple people have already pointed out that Tynan is a smart and sensible dev, so don't you worry, the core game won't change.
And mods will always be there to fine tune your gameplay.

Orravan, your account didn't even exist until a half hour after this thread was created.  As such, you were not the target of anything Elixiar said.  Elixiar also wasn't being inflammatory or critical.  He was asking Tynan to not give in to some of the more popular complaints of the game.  I'm confused by what you're trying to contribute to this discussion.  I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but please be aware that to many of us, it looks like you created an account simply to "stir the pot".  I don't need an explanation of the past, but I'd like to see you contribute in a constructive manner - it's the same thing I expect of everyone else, and it's what makes this a great community.  Welcome to the forum & I'm looking forward to good things! :)

Orravan

Quote from: milon on January 18, 2017, 12:26:23 PM
(...) I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but please be aware that to many of us, it looks like you created an account simply to "stir the pot".

I've been on the internet for long enough to totally get that, but I created an account because what Elixiar wrote is a disrespectful rant that I disagreed with.
It really is as simple as that. Why should it be surprising?
Not having an account until now doesn't mean I haven't been reading the forum, nor that I don't have an opinion to express like anyone else. He just managed to trigger me, for some reason.

QuoteI don't need an explanation of the past, but I'd like to see you contribute in a constructive manner

Elixiar isn't contributing in a constructive manner when he's starting a ranting thread.

I really don't mean any trouble for something that insignificant, but Milon, seriously? I'm the bad guy here for pointing out that the guy is gratuitously mocking all the people here unsatisfied with the current mechanics of sieges, infestations, traits, mood debuffs, etc., stereotyping their griefs as worthless whine, and asking for their opinion and expectations to be outright ignored in favour of his?

Tbh, I just expected this thread to be closed down as soon as a mod would get near it.
Maybe I shouldn't have replied in the first place, or even created an account. Sorry about it. :-X

JuicyPVP

Complaints about sieges.
Infestations.
Traits.
Mood debuffs.

Please don't.

There are some realistic balance issues. (maybe not with sieges? I haven't seen anyone complain about those? I Like sieges its basically free stuff). I think the biggest unbalance is infestations. Building into a mountain has a lot of benefits, but I just feel the infestation is over weighted against them (if we agree sieges are not a "raid" and more like "Hey here is free stuff" then the overhead mountain is really kind'a pointless which is one of the huge advantages.

Quote from: Orravan on January 18, 2017, 12:56:29 PM
Quote from: milon on January 18, 2017, 12:26:23 PM
(...) I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but please be aware that to many of us, it looks like you created an account simply to "stir the pot".

I've been on the internet for long enough to totally get that, but I created an account because what Elixiar wrote is a disrespectful rant that I disagreed with.
It really is as simple as that. Why should it be surprising?
Not having an account until now doesn't mean I haven't been reading the forum, nor that I don't have an opinion to express like anyone else.

Brah- just take the edge off. Like- there was a much better way to reply with what OP had to say. I agree that the post is condescending to people (who bought it on steam for instance) and full of assumptions. But don't punch a guy in the face who calls you an ass... you'll get charged for assault, not him. lol.

PotatoeTater

To be fair, nothing he has said in the initial post is disrespectful or unnecessary. Since the steam release more and more people have been complaining about how hard the game is. It comes with the standard steam audience and is something very true. If you think the game is too hard and everything is unfair, play on an easier difficulty, or go to a game that is easy. Milon has stated it perfectly that many of us have been here for years and we enjoy the game how it is, and seeing people complaining about the difficulty does suck, you're new and starting out by trying to call someone disrespectful for voicing his opinion isn't what we uses the forums for. If you disagree with how the game is make a suggestion in the suggestion area, learn to code and make a mod, or as stated before find a different difficulty or game all together.
Life is Strange

JuicyPVP

I think some "balance" should be in place for mountain bases, but Id like it in the form of a boost to other types of bases. Is that possible? IDK. I posted in another thread maybe we can do a mood buff (+) to pawns whose room exits into "unroofed" or "Out doors". And then maybe make infestation only spawn in dark. Because right now they can spawn in lit up rooms (like a hospital. omg lol) and that just doesn't seem balanced for a hive to pop up in the middle of a fully operational/used every day base.

JuicyPVP

Quote from: PotatoeTater on January 18, 2017, 01:09:09 PM
To be fair, nothing he has said in the initial post is disrespectful or unnecessary. Since the steam release more and more people have been complaining about how hard the game is. It comes with the standard steam audience and is something very true. If you think the game is too hard and everything is unfair, play on an easier difficulty, or go to a game that is easy. Milon has stated it perfectly that many of us have been here for years and we enjoy the game how it is, and seeing people complaining about the difficulty does suck, you're new and starting out by trying to call someone disrespectful for voicing his opinion isn't what we uses the forums for. If you disagree with how the game is make a suggestion in the suggestion area, learn to code and make a mod, or as stated before find a different difficulty or game all together.

See now this is where the $ vs OG loyalty thing will come into play.

I am not offended by people who want the game to be hard (or keep it hard). After re-reading it, maybe OP wasn't condescending (there have been some arguments elsewhere about the pre-steam rimworld players vs the steam players, and generally the pre steamers are rude to anyone who bought on steam. again elsewhere not here) and I am just used to seeing people rip steam players for this specific game.

The modding community will likely always provide an out. ALSO scenario editor does allow you to turn stuff off. Like Zzzrrt.. and Infestations, which I currently turned off because I don't like them/cant do anything about them. Now this game IS alpha. I think once it gets closer to a finished product, there will be a better learning system which will explain the scenario editor. I mean once you learn how to use it (or just find it lol :P) rimworld becomes whatever you want it to be. Add in mods, and the game is literally what you make it.