Glitterworld Colony [WIP]

Started by Dreid, January 01, 2015, 11:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreid

The Introduction:

It is the year 2365, a military operation sent from the Glitterworld Tu'urk to colonise one of the far out rim worlds is set in motion. During the transportation of the Colonists the ship is struck by mines, seemingly attracted to the ships pulse cannons. As the mines implode against the ship, my unit races to the escape ships; as we arrive we see four civilians go into one ship, we join them, and as the corridors are rapidly filling with flames we close the doors narrowly saving our lives.

As we journey towards the nearest life sustaining planet, we take inventory, and introduce ourselves to those we have not met. In total to our knowledge only eight out of the original one hundred have survived. Under my command are William Atiomo, Brodie Mclean, Hugo Brown and Jahnu Pavartani. With us four preordained growers and engineers join us in survival. Named Will Graves, Cameron Thurlow, and the two twins Warwick and Ivor Chipman. At first we are quite tense, due to the fact that the military and the civilians were forced not to mix aboard the vessel. But over time and because of the dire situation we soon grew close.

As we took stock we realised we were in dire straights. We had two M16s, 2 LMG-15s and one M24, the civilians were quite intimidated at first by our weapons so we gave them all pistols, without firing pins, until we knew we could trust them. In the ships stores we found 100 ready meals and 40 medkits. As the days pass we rapidly went through our food stores, so I decided to ration our food. We are but two days away from the nearest planet, so hopefully we will arrive with enough food to keep us going till we can produce some ourselves.

As we near the planet, the ship starts to lose power, in an effort to keep us alive I divert all power from the thrusters to life support. But it seems that even so it will run out soon. Will explains to us that only possible option to reach the surface of the planet is to use the escape pods. He shows us the mechanisms and the way to launch them so we quickly load up all the pods with as many supplies as we can. As the power slowly begins to die we launch ourselves from the ship and into the unknown.

This is a work in progress, but I will try and upload it as soon as possible. Hopefully I can survive for at least a couple days  ;)

The Landing

I began to sweat in the cramped interior of the pod, silently counting off the seconds as the pod burned through the thick atmosphere growing closer and closer towards the ground. Then suddenly the sense of falling stopped, and slowly I slipped off into oblivion resigning myself to death. But apparently death's door was still a day or two away, as I was awoken by the sounds of banging and scraping. Warm beads of sunlight hit my brow as the door was wrenched open by Will and Brodie, seemingly the pods were of older make and the doors had no protection against the heat of reentry forcing it to weld together. I don't know how those two got out but I'm glad they did. I stepped out of the pod, trying to get my bearings but ended up tripping over my own feet in the process; I fell forward my face hitting the hard compact dirt. Regaining my senses I began to hear the sound of weeping.

It turned out that not all of us had been lucky enough to survive the perilous descent. One of the twins, Ivor, had perished in the confines of his pod, swamped in unholy flames caused by god's know what. His brother held him at his feet, slowly stroking his hair as his tears hit his brothers hot disfigured face. The rest of us stayed deathly silent, not wanting to interrupt him and cause him even more duress. Finally Warwick moved away from the body and started stalking towards Will, moving with deadly intent. He started to raise his voice, and before we knew it he was raining down blows, blaming Will for suggesting the idea in the first place. Jahnu and I grabbed him trying to sooth him, but he kept struggling, finally I decided he needed an artificial rest so I ordered William to combine some morphine with a saline drip to keep Warwick suppressed.

Those remaining I brought together, so that we might decide our future and see what we could do to survive. Brodie a geography major before he was conscripted explained that we were likely in a jungle environment judging by the heat and moisture. He went on by saying that he would like to be allowed to explore further so as best to ascertain a course of action. I agreed and sent Will with him, who looked quite morose after his previous encounter with the last remaining twin. After that we decided it was for the best to get started on a makeshift shelter while the sun was still up. And as the sun rose and set we toiled, cutting and chopping wood so as to build a cabin to protect us from what might be lurking in the surrounding forest...

From Now on I will make a post when I update the story. Hope you enjoy!

milon

I like your start - there's a story going and you haven't even landed yet.  :)  What storyteller & difficulty are you using?  Are you going to Prepare Carefully, or will only 3 survive the landing?  Where's Part Two?  (aka, Subscribed!)

Dreid

I'm going to continue editing it as the story progresses. I will be using prepare carefully, but will likely have one or two not make it. I'll be using cassandra on rough

Dreid