[1.0] Orassans 🐱

Started by Diana Winters, July 28, 2016, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I plan on changing the look of the Orassans to more match the added storyteller. Do you want this?

Yes; I want a more cat-like look
No; keep the neko look
I don't care

Oblitus

Quote from: Ramsis on October 12, 2017, 08:15:55 PM
Sheesh keep up the salty attitude and we'll see where on my ban-dartboard you land. Looking at a healthy two weeks but I mean hey, on a good day I'm not opposed to three weeks. Instead of attacking why not stay on the passive side of things, it slows down internal problems and keeps people like me from having to step in just for the sake of a slap in the mouth.

Or keep posting as you are, I'm good for some fun.
Yeah, who cares where they got their salt, just hit them with a banhammer until they learn to eat it without wincing.

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 12, 2017, 07:43:42 PM
And bad content? Rude. How would you like it if I told you that your content sucked and it was stealing my time?
Negative feedback is still a feedback. Just don't forget to justify it.

Your point would also be more valid if my mod actually broke the game, which it does not do.
Well, when your kittens kill each other fending off a manhunting rat, decide that you are one to blame and nuke you from orbit it is something I'll call a broken game. Or when they don't decide that they want to nuke you and you've got a ton of top-tier guns and armor, including one which can be used to kill anyone without causing hostility to get everything you want from visitors.

I do not force you to use my mod, you choose to spend your time using it.
The problem is - you can't say if it is good without using it. And that "praise or keep silence" policy does not help.

Ramsis

The difference is sport that you aren't giving feedback you're just directly whining and that's the issue. You're helping nobody with your complaining, you're just flat out complaining, hence why I'm stepping in to either correct you or remove you.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Diana Winters

Quote from: Oblitus on October 12, 2017, 08:34:56 PM

Well, when your kittens kill each other fending off a manhunting rat, decide that you are one to blame and nuke you from orbit it is something I'll call a broken game. Or when they don't decide that they want to nuke you and you've got a ton of top-tier guns and armor, including one which can be used to kill anyone without causing hostility to get everything you want from visitors.

Well the same kind of friendly fire incidents often happen with the AI in general, and I have yet to be blamed for it. Even so, I doubt me trying to change vanilla AI to fix such a thing would be very feasible. If it was, I'm sure I could make a more popular mod just fixing that >_>

Oblitus

Quote from: Ramsis on October 12, 2017, 09:02:09 PM
The difference is sport that you aren't giving feedback you're just directly whining and that's the issue. You're helping nobody with your complaining, you're just flat out complaining, hence why I'm stepping in to either correct you or remove you.
It's either my English failing me, or yours failing you. Because my point was "author should not to be phraised for being author and user has the right to express his negative experience with said author's content". Please correct me here.

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 12, 2017, 09:38:09 PM
Well the same kind of friendly fire incidents often happen with the AI in general, and I have yet to be blamed for it. Even so, I doubt me trying to change vanilla AI to fix such a thing would be very feasible. If it was, I'm sure I could make a more popular mod just fixing that >_>
You:
* Gave your faction a ton of rapid-firing, powerful weapons knowing that friendly fire is a big issue.
* Gave your faction a lot of wealth knowing how it can end up being owned by the player by some accident.
* Gave your faction a frostbite-based weapon knowing that it is not intended to be used in weapons and does not work correctly with AI.
* Gave your faction BOTH frostbite weapon and a lot of wealth. It was multiple times said why those two are especially bad together.
* Gave your faction an ultimate weapon of revenge knowing that said weapon WILL be misused due to flawed AI.
With all this, what can go right?

What I'd recommend?
* Rework frostbite weapon to use conventional damage sources. That thing is just broken now. Or better remove it, because with such enormous area of effect and stupid AI it always does more damage to allies when not used by player. Or rework it into heavy EMP cannon which can't really harm an ally.
* Prevent orassan caravans from coming without request. If you've requested it - it's your responsibility.
* Add orbital traders to replace caravans. If they are spacer level faction, it would be fitting. I think it is possible for them to come by request instead of land caravans too. Probably with some C# patch, but not too difficult.
Aaand... Major issues with their accidental hostility will be solved. Faction is still there, still with their gimmicks but you won't see them on your ground without request.

Patching AI behavior is not that difficult. But it would cause other problems by opening some ways to cheese it. Unless you have ideas?

RequiemFang

*cough* someone said something about friendly fire... well this mod helps with that particular issue.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1134165362

Kiame

Quote from: Oblitus on October 12, 2017, 11:20:03 PM
It's either my English failing me, or yours failing you. Because my point was "author should not to be phraised for being author and user has the right to express his negative experience with said author's content". Please correct me here.

It's the English words that are being chosen and the approach to the comments that should be analyzed. Let's try to reword what's being said here:

Quote from: Oblitus on October 12, 2017, 11:20:03 PM
You:
* Gave your faction a ton of rapid-firing, powerful weapons knowing that friendly fire is a big issue.
* Gave your faction a lot of wealth knowing how it can end up being owned by the player by some accident.
* Gave your faction a frostbite-based weapon knowing that it is not intended to be used in weapons and does not work correctly with AI.
* Gave your faction BOTH frostbite weapon and a lot of wealth. It was multiple times said why those two are especially bad together.
* Gave your faction an ultimate weapon of revenge knowing that said weapon WILL be misused due to flawed AI.
With all this, what can go right?

What I'd recommend?
* Rework frostbite weapon to use conventional damage sources. That thing is just broken now. Or better remove it, because with such enormous area of effect and stupid AI it always does more damage to allies when not used by player. Or rework it into heavy EMP cannon which can't really harm an ally.
* Prevent orassan caravans from coming without request. If you've requested it - it's your responsibility.
* Add orbital traders to replace caravans. If they are spacer level faction, it would be fitting. I think it is possible for them to come by request instead of land caravans too. Probably with some C# patch, but not too difficult.
Aaand... Major issues with their accidental hostility will be solved. Faction is still there, still with their gimmicks but you won't see them on your ground without request.

Patching AI behavior is not that difficult. But it would cause other problems by opening some ways to cheese it. Unless you have ideas?

In this set of text it's very confrontational. Large amounts of blame and accusations are being thrown around with the five points listed above. A much better, diplomatic, approach would be to write it like this:

QuoteMy concerns with the mod are that the Orassans are too powerful. They are given powerful weapons, which the AI cannot use correctly; large amounts of wealth, allowing their equipment to be far too powerful; and an ultimate weapon that will be used incorrectly by the AI. What adds to my frustration is that if one of my pawns hits an Orassan by mistake it's game over...

I would appreciate it if some changes or a second mod could be considered. Maybe rework the frostbite weapon to use convential damage soruces or even remove it altogether. Prevent Orassan caravans from coming without request or maybe only have them come as orbital traders.

I would like to have the Orassans in my mod collection... it's just too dangerous to have them at this point for my taste

With this re-wording no blame is being placed (as it shouldn't). It lists the ares of concern with this mod. It also encourages the mod developer knowing that someone wants their mod and possible ways to make it better. Whether the mod makers wants to pursue the changes is up to the mod maker alone. In the meantime the user who makes the request is free to disable the mod.

kubolek01

Stop this damn pointless discussion, the problem ended I think atleast!
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Diana Winters

I'd be more inclined to fix the things you've pointed out if I experienced them, but I really haven't experienced such problems. In any event, I did nerf the cryo launcher somewhat, but I don't think that will solve your issue. In any event, I do not know how to make it so caravans only appear on request, nor do I know how to make orbital traders faction based (if such a thing is possible.)

To address your points directly:
1. I haven't had any major issues with it. (Friendly fire regarding caravans.)
2. I fail to see how this is a problem; wealth is an incentive for people to mug them if you are the type to exploit AI. There are ways to prevent bombardment as well.
3. The Frostbite damage type doesn't significantly impact how the weapon is used. It is an area of effect "explosive" weapon. I will further tweak it in the next patch to address this.
4. This point is a combination of points 2 and 3.
5. This is a reiteration of point 3.

As for your recommendations:
1. No.
2. I have no idea how to do this.
3. As stated in my above paragraph; I'm not sure if it even possible to associate an orbital trader with a faction. Don't claim that it "shouldn't be too difficult" if your suggestion is "probably with some C# patch". Not to mention that I would need to rework how the vanilla trading system works to do this, which may cause unforeseen issues and incompatibilities.

As for the "issues" being solves; they're solved by the virtue that you will almost never be seeing them.

As Kiame states; you are being very confrontational. I don't have to share this mod with anyone. You don't have to use it. You sound entirely entitled, thinking you know exactly what YOUR vision for MY mod is.

P.s. You spelled "praised" incorrectly.

P.s.s Update 6: Misc. bug fixes. Balancing tweaks.

Evillee

Hi, just wanted to say that I enjoy your mod very much, thanks for sharing.

Oblitus

Quote from: Diana Winters on October 13, 2017, 12:42:27 AM
3. The Frostbite damage type doesn't significantly impact how the weapon is used.
Frostbite damage is used to kill without causing hostility.

Canute

If i remembee right, i can do the same with microwave weapons from Rimsenal.
But with the cyrogen launcher it is easyer to do.

Btw. you people are so funny, typical example how a fly can grow into a elephant ! :-)
I allready gave up to discuss with Diana. Unless i realy find a bug.

Why not some modder just post how she can modify the mod, so her kittys don't use Power armors anymore without to forbid the armor.
So far i remember is that the point of anger.
And now everyone take this smokeleaf joint and relax.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Oblitus on October 13, 2017, 08:20:46 AM
Quote from: Diana Winters on October 13, 2017, 12:42:27 AM
3. The Frostbite damage type doesn't significantly impact how the weapon is used.
Frostbite damage is used to kill without causing hostility.

Ant deaths in your territory will reduce your standing with the faction regardless. You can use psychic insanity lances to kill trader buffalos for example (however I am not sure if this still works) but if your standing with them is low enough they will become hostile.

Canute

Diana thats not complete true, not any deads reduce standing.
Only Visitor deads/down reduce standing. When caravan member get killed you don't get (at last not visible) the -5 message.
And with the Cyrogenic launcher, you can down/kill caravan members without made the whole faction hostile.
But we told you this allready a few releases ago.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Canute on October 13, 2017, 10:37:20 AM
Diana thats not complete true, not any deads reduce standing.
Only Visitor deads/down reduce standing. When caravan member get killed you don't get (at last not visible) the -5 message.
And with the Cyrogenic launcher, you can down/kill caravan members without made the whole faction hostile.
But we told you this allready a few releases ago.
It does not show you, yes, but you can see the relation go down in the relations tab. And tbh I don't know how to fix this. I doubt I can by just using XML, so I would have to get someone to fix it with C#. As for the spacer tag; it's really not an issue. Anyone who thinks it is is just trying to find problems where there aren't any.
In any case, regarding space cat fashion, I will be adding outfits for the Orassans soontm, negating the need for Orassans to use the spacer tag (however, if other mods wish for the Orassans to use their spacer apparel, they will more than likely need a patch for it.

Also, smokeleaf is illegal where I am :c

Canute

No you can't do anything against the no-aggro behavior from areaeffects.
But everytime an orassan visitor groups comes to visit, and one of them carry an launcher i hope they don't get attacked.
Because the one with the launcher mosttimes wipeout his group more then any attacker would do.

What kind of spacer do exist
- escape pod
- Ancient shrine cyro-pods.

I never notice any power armor from escape pods, but i bet many people hope for a power armor from when they open an ancient shrine.

Since you created this mod, and you forbid the power armor, many new modding methods are added.
And your way to forbid some appareal, so it doesn't appear anymore at your race, isn't elegant anymore.
Just think about that, and if you don't know how to do it, i bet someone else at the discord would help you.

And btw. you are an alien that smokeleaf is illegal? I think beside Rimworlder noone else know about smokeleaf here ! :-)