Traders and visitors dying: should graves give you positive rep?

Started by Psithen, July 22, 2017, 01:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psithen

What it says. I've been playing a modded game with some pretty nasty wildlife and as a result traders are dying and they're blaming me! YOU HAVE LIKE 15 PEOPLE WITH YOU STOP STANDING AROUND LIKE IDIOTS AND FIGHT BACK! DON'T WAIT FOR ME TO ENGAGE! That's... an issue for a different topic however, it got me thinking when I was looking at their corpse and deciding if I should butcher it for leather and kibble or should I waste it and put it in the ground? Being sentimental I buried them because their faction has been rather good for my colony in trade. It's just giving them a grave doesn't do... anything. I think it would be a great idea if giving graves to fallen faction members would give you like +3 rep to negate the -5 from their death or at least most of. Sorta like a sign of good faith, like "look we know someone died and you didn't help but you gave them a proper burial so thanks" or something.

Canute

Grave, no !
Legendary sarcophag, maybe.
But when you get the corpse to one of their outpost, yes.

Psithen

Quote from: Canute on July 22, 2017, 02:29:05 AM
Grave, no !
Legendary sarcophag, maybe.
But when you get the corpse to one of their outpost, yes.

Yeah I just realized you can dig up graves already so unless they telepathically know when their buddies have been dug up the system would be easily exploited.

I would like a system to negate the reputation loss from them dying like morons though. Shilling out 300 silver to pay for some dead guys feels too gamey.

Luckily if they don't die healing them is always a good way to make the faction happy.

Toast

My last colony in A16 was saved from a particularly nasty early siege by a random friendly caravan spawning almost right on top of them. A fierce shootout resulted and they exchanged fire until all but 2-3 pawns on each side were downed or dead. The caravan leader himself was shot in the heart, but valiantly fought until the last raider had disappeared over the horizon. He then dragged himself, inch by painful inch, bleeding profusely from the wound that had left his heart with 2 HP, all the way to the trading spot within my half-finished walls.

So I traded with him.

It was clear that he knew his number was up and he wanted to go out doing what he loved: getting a damn good bargain on two stacks of rat meat, some moldy corn, and 7-8 pairs of pants that somebody died in. How could I not honor his last wishes? When he finally collapsed, the doctor rushed to attend to him but the stubborn bastard was too far gone. They buried him under the last standing tree inside the colony walls and adorned the grave site with roses, and later, the colony artist's depiction of his final trade. It was a beautiful tribute to a true Rimworld hero, only slightly marred by the artist's focus on his "greedy intent."

I guess this is all to say that burying a fallen friendly is as impactful as you make it. Like... yeah, if you run a colony of psychopaths who view every human shape on the horizon as a walking hat, then it's not going to mean anything. But there are certainly ways it can affect your play experience even without there being an actual game mechanic attached to it.

Hans Lemurson

"Never pay full price for torn jeans."
--Last words of Trader McGee, epitaph.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.