[A16]Better Terrain

Started by blackhalo, February 02, 2017, 04:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhalo

Quote from: Qwynn on February 06, 2017, 09:46:49 AM
Version 0.46 has a syntax error in Plants_Wild_Arid.xml on line 134:

<<ThingDef ParentName="PlantBase">

Additionally, agave and pincushion plants in the same file are looking for a parent which doesn't exist.

Temperate is looking even better! Glad to see some new textures and Vegetable Garden compatibility. That said, I am missing the dandelion fields. Are you planning to add them back to temperate or in a different biome, or were they cut for good?

There also seems to be a strange texture issue with rich soil. You'll want to open this image up all the way, but there seem to be these short orange streaks? Not sure what's causing those. =<

Nice catch on the syntax.  The short orange streaks were intentional.  They were from a time and build where the soil and rich soil colors were similiar so I was playing around with ways to better differentiate.  I haven't really re'addressed the soil since so for feedback, do they look bad in your opinion? unneeded?

I took flowers out for the moment since I was testing out using the dandelion class to add in stuff like lil puddles and whatnot and that wasn't going well, then I never got around to putting back in the right art.... in short... I don't know.

If temperate forests look lively enough as is, I might just move allot of the 'field of flowers' look to arid shrublands.

Quote from: b4d on February 06, 2017, 05:40:34 AM
A minor issue, The tall grass graphic is overlapping with some other stuff (graveyard & growing zone in this pic)

It was also a bit hard to distinguish between soil, plains and good soil(I blame those grasses  ;D)
and damn those raspberries was really hard to spot   ;D

The generated map was awesome though

using the 0.046 version

Thank you!!!

The grass issue.  I was playing around with that exact thing last sleepless night.  I think I may have tamed the grass.

The rich soil v good soil v soil v plains coloring, very good point I was going for aesthetics but I kinda have to let farmers know where they should do what.  I have tweaked colors so good soil and rich soil should be very obvious.

Raspberries do need TLC.  I like where and how they spawn (plains+clumped up), but yeah they do need to actually show up...\

0.048 uploading as we speak.

AngleWyrm

Getting big red 'X' tiles in place of some of the tree art.
Seems like some non-vanilla trees are the ones that do that.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

blackhalo

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 06, 2017, 02:45:18 PM
Getting big red 'X' tiles in place of some of the tree art.
Seems like some non-vanilla trees are the ones that do that.

Is this on initial map generation, or when a new plant grows in?
I just redownloaded the zip up there and it started up a temperate forest with none of that.  It could be if you had an older version of the mod, art conflicts.  The mod loads in all the art in a folder so if some old stuff got left over it could cause some issues.

I can't really think of anything else atm since there really isn't much in the way of graphics settings for this game.

Hydromancerx

Can you make a compatibility patch with the Plant and Animal Pack?

CK - Animal & Plant Pack
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26265.0

It would be great to have more plant and animal diversity AND have more realistic terrain generation.

blackhalo

Quote from: Hydromancerx on February 06, 2017, 06:37:13 PM

CK - Animal & Plant Pack

It would be great to have more plant and animal diversity AND have more realistic terrain generation.

I might not be able to make their plants compatible and by that I mean 'easily fit in and look good in this mod', but ill see what I can do.
The animals part SHOULD be compatible out of the gate, but ill of course double check on that.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: blackhalo on February 06, 2017, 06:17:33 PM
Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 06, 2017, 02:45:18 PM
Getting big red 'X' tiles in place of some of the tree art...
I just redownloaded the zip up there and it started up a temperate forest with none of that.  It could be if you had an older version of the mod, art conflicts.

Solved: Disabled the "Tilled Soil" mod and all the plants show up as they should.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

blackhalo

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 06, 2017, 07:07:28 PM
Solved: Disabled the "Tilled Soil" mod and all the plants show up as they should.

That is very wierd.  After glancing through it I don't see any conflicts between these 2 mods, I'll look more into it tonight or tommorow though.

Qwynn

Well, considering I thought the streaks in the fertile soil might be a texture bug and/or corruption, I suppose that does say something! A visible difference between fertile soil and mud is appreciated, but can't say I'm a fan of the streaks. Perhaps try going very dark with fertile soil and see how that looks?

Also, very exciting that VG is on board for art assets!

Hydromancerx

Quote from: blackhalo on February 06, 2017, 06:49:50 PM

CK - Animal & Plant Pack

I might not be able to make their plants compatible and by that I mean 'easily fit in and look good in this mod', but ill see what I can do.
The animals part SHOULD be compatible out of the gate, but ill of course double check on that.

Well i know they mess around with the rainforest to be a lot more lush and add in more types of plants. That's were i except the conflict might be.

blackhalo

Quote from: Hydromancerx on February 06, 2017, 09:09:20 PM
Quote from: blackhalo on February 06, 2017, 06:49:50 PM

CK - Animal & Plant Pack

Well i know they mess around with the rainforest to be a lot more lush and add in more types of plants. That's were i except the conflict might be.

What would you want out of a compatibility patch? 
The mod seems to add stuff to just the tropical forest, there aren't any art assets or conflicting changes with any other biome.

The art he is using will clash heavily with what I'm doing (and imo his art doesn't look that good) I can make it work with none of his plants in the forest, but everything else in his mod, or a few specific ones you have to tell me you want still randomly scattered, or just 'his tropical forest'.  He didn't do the scummy 'defining a plant and where it goes in the plant def' so working out any specific sort of compatibility shouldn't be hard.

So what do you want and when do you want it by?
:)

Qwynn

I've also noticed what may be a conflict with vegetable garden. VG allows you to grow grass, but it seems your new debris are taking its place on the grow area menu. =<

blackhalo

Quote from: Qwynn on February 07, 2017, 02:02:16 AM
I've also noticed what may be a conflict with vegetable garden. VG allows you to grow grass, but it seems your new debris are taking its place on the grow area menu. =<

Ooo, thank you ill look into that.

Hydromancerx

Well i guess it would make a patch that allows for his jungle plants to work the way your plants do on your style of terrain.

As for the art styles is it really bad? I have not seen them side by side.

FreyaMaluk

the tall grass texture looks amazing :)

Greed_GorAshaar

I propose to add modifications to the platform steam, the thing is that the introduction of the next patchs, make the mod itself will overwrite instead of downloading the manual next versions.