[A16]Better Terrain

Started by blackhalo, February 02, 2017, 04:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidfu

once u get it where u can set which plants/trees will be considered forests i might give it a try. right now when u use ithi with hardcore pack and add the stuff from hardcore to it u get forests of fruit trees. one map had a forest of grap plants :O

blackhalo

Quote from: sidfu on February 09, 2017, 03:44:48 AM
once u get it where u can set which plants/trees will be considered forests i might give it a try. right now when u use ithi with hardcore pack and add the stuff from hardcore to it u get forests of fruit trees. one map had a forest of grap plants :O

I'll give it a look over.  When I get 0.06 out there's 2 likely outcomes.  Either you load my mod after and it should ignore their plants entirely; that or you load theirs after Better Terrain and it'll be my terrain with RNG? distribution of their stuff across the map.

Do know though, Better Terrain still probably has bugs in it (mostly texture/shadow ones I've been finding lately) so don't count on doing a 2 year playthrough with the mod as it is right now.  Temperate forest is close though and should be nearly there come 0.06

---
Edit: Oh god.  Thats a large mod. 
I don't see any dirty plant edits so it should work like I said.

Sam_

Excellent mod. The terrain and just general terrain diversity is something Rimworld needs. The tropical maps look amazing, but without more functionality added to water they would be difficult indeed.

The blocky rock formations are also interesting. Very distinguished from the standard mountains and hills you find in Rimworld. After so many fresh colonies I have to say vanilla Rimworld maps just look like layers of Perlin noise and not actual terrain.

blackhalo

Quote from: Sam_ on February 09, 2017, 04:59:09 AM
After so many fresh colonies I have to say vanilla Rimworld maps just look like layers of Perlin noise and not actual terrain.

^^^^

Most the reason I'm doing this.

Really trying to give a gameplay difference map to map too.  My ideas so far are to give temperate forests good sized areas of farmland along with wood sources but little very very few mine'able minerals.  Jungles have allot of wood but you move slow and its tough to use guns in them (trees give allot of cover).  Shrublands probably will have a good deal of natural food growing and minerals but allot of terrain you can't build on.  Not too sure about the rest yet.

Since I'm getting close to getting the C# work done I might just start releasing it as modules till I'm getting closer to finishing the whole mod.  Maybe one that just changes terrain gen, another for temperate forest plants/ground, another for jungles after I finish them, exc.

lilymortis

This makes Rimworld look seriously beautiful. 9.5/10. (You get the other half star when it's done  ;) )

Napple

Since you didn't answer last time what are your plans for improving the icy biomes (sea ice and ice sheet).

KatrinkaRose

After generating a perfectly good map I decided to try one more yesterday and I got another really sparse Mountainous map.  This time I'm sure it was mountainous but this looks too sparse to me.

Then I generated 10 more.  Most of them are fine but I did get a couple more that had a lot of tiny mountains leaving the vast majority of the map wide open.  Since it looks like the majority of the maps are generating well it may not be worth your time to address.  It isn't hard to just reroll a few times.  But if there is a way to reduce the spread between the lots of little mountain masses and few big ones it could be nice to stabilize the generation a bit.

I admit, I am happy to realize that I wasn't in fact imagining the sparseness though getting so many like that must have been pretty hard to achieve!

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

DnaJur

Have you thought about perhaps adding some resource rich caves to the mountain maps? I have not looked how map generation is done in the game but I think taking cells with overhead mountain, applying some perlin worms and then adding extra resource nodes could give some interesting results...But I may be wrong as I am no game developer myself.

If you manage to put some insect hives in those caves it will workeven better. (Dreams of roleplaying dwarves who delved too greedily and too deep.)

blackhalo

Quote from: KatrinkaRose on February 09, 2017, 11:52:08 AM
After generating a perfectly good map I decided to try one more yesterday and I got another really sparse Mountainous map.  This time I'm sure it was mountainous but this looks too sparse to me.

Then I generated 10 more.  Most of them are fine but I did get a couple more that had a lot of tiny mountains leaving the vast majority of the map wide open.  Since it looks like the majority of the maps are generating well it may not be worth your time to address.  It isn't hard to just reroll a few times.  But if there is a way to reduce the spread between the lots of little mountain masses and few big ones it could be nice to stabilize the generation a bit.

I admit, I am happy to realize that I wasn't in fact imagining the sparseness though getting so many like that must have been pretty hard to achieve!

Thank you for the feedback!!!!!!
I'll see what I can do.   I intentionally had it like that for variations sake, sometimes your at the edge of the mountains, other times your in deep (keep the world from being repetitive) exc exc but yeah it might be getting too sparse at its worst.

Quote from: Napple on February 09, 2017, 10:42:49 AM
Since you didn't answer last time what are your plans for improving the icy biomes (sea ice and ice sheet).

Oh, sorry, at the moment I don't have anything in mind >.<
That and anything I do for that biome will take 100% brand-new-from-scratch art so I'm hesitant about starting it without a solid idea of what I want.

Quote from: DnaJur on February 09, 2017, 01:41:21 PM
Have you thought about perhaps adding some resource rich caves to the mountain maps? I have not looked how map generation is done in the game but I think taking cells with overhead mountain??

That is a very, very, very cool idea.
And I now really want to do it.
The biggest constraint is time though.
finishing biomes>>>adding caves

Napple

Maybe for the sea ice biome you could add water spots to them to represent Leads And polynyas.
For the ice sheet you could add glaciers but i'm not sure on how that would work.

Omaru77

Glaciers could be a new mountain type and you could mine ice blocks to build with. Outside the initial scope of this mod, I'm sure but maybe at some point that would be cool.

CiceroThePoet

I'm a terrible person and have been using this mod without giving any feedback, but it's beautiful. I love everything about it, and it's appealing visually, which allows me to play games without being disgusted at the layout of the map. Keep up the good work.

Do you accept donations?

KatrinkaRose

Quote from: blackhalo on February 09, 2017, 02:51:04 PM
sometimes your at the edge of the mountains, other times your in deep (keep the world from being repetitive) exc exc but yeah it might be getting too sparse at its worst.

That makes perfect sense.  In my head that's what the small hills and large hills regions are for with mountainous being the "you're in deep"  which is why I was surprised by the wide variety.  :)

blackhalo

Quote from: CiceroThePoet on February 09, 2017, 03:53:51 PM
it's beautiful.

:D glad to hear it.

And donations, well, I have no idea how, but I mean I won't say no... so, well, I mean, I'll look into it?

Quote from: KatrinkaRose on February 09, 2017, 03:54:22 PM
That makes perfect sense.  In my head that's what the small hills and large hills regions are for with mountainous being the "you're in deep"  which is why I was surprised by the wide variety.  :)

Yeah yeah yeah thats how it'd work if RimWorld mapgen was better, like if you were in a small hill with a mountain next to you, itd be small hills with one side sorta blocked off by mountains... but since it doesn't I was just improvising it.  I'll work on it though.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: blackhalo on February 09, 2017, 01:32:43 AM
Your gonna love what I've just been working on though.
I think I got stone chunks, people and animals placed behind trees.
Check it: http://imgur.com/a/B1ftS
Sweet!  :D
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh