Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Colonist traits:
- dog phobia, colonist automatically retreats from nearby dogs. Lots of people are terrified of dogs, especially if they had an accident in childhood etc.
- cat phobia: yes, it exists, maybe not as severe. But my employer thought cats are creepy.

b0rsuk

When visitors or travellers from a certain faction are passing by, and they are not hostile to you, they should sometimes visit graves of their own. Also, honoring a fallen member of allied faction with a (valuable) sarcofagus should cause relation boost.

I had a situation where tribals attacked while there was a trade caravan in my desert town. One of the traders died.

JivinJeff

Hi, sorry if this suggestion has already been made, but it'd be fantastic if I could set a maximum crafting level for bills in the same way I can set minimum crafting levels.  This would be helpful not only for things like butchering, brewing, stone-cutting and smelting but would also make it easier to set up crafter or artist training bills using cheap materials and long crafting times without worrying about my best crafters/artists doing them instead.  I guess I could accomplish the same thing with zones, but a maximum crafting level would be far more convenient.

I think that would come under the classification of cheap ideas, but I'm not a programmer.  Love the game, keep it up!

MikeOfDragon

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 03, 2016, 03:03:34 PM
Colonist traits:
- dog phobia, colonist automatically retreats from nearby dogs. Lots of people are terrified of dogs, especially if they had an accident in childhood etc.
- cat phobia: yes, it exists, maybe not as severe. But my employer thought cats are creepy.
Maybe people with the dog phobia would run, but the cat phobia people would get a small/medium mood loss?

mumblemumble

Give weapons a hitbox on people in fights, particularly gun fights. Melee fights might be a little different of course, but I think getting your rifle sight smashed by a pistol round wouldn't be impossible. Would also help address gun pile issues, where tons of guns were laying around, and an extra layer of tactics
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

king komodo

Quote from: mumblemumble on June 05, 2016, 03:17:01 AM
Give weapons a hitbox on people in fights, particularly gun fights. Melee fights might be a little different of course, but I think getting your rifle sight smashed by a pistol round wouldn't be impossible. Would also help address gun pile issues, where tons of guns were laying around, and an extra layer of tactics

Chances of such a thing happening, 1 in a million. But it's happened so actually not a bad idea.

b0rsuk

Colonist traits
Squeamish: gets a temporary negative mood when he sees blood, a surgery, cooking with meat or butchering.
Whiny: decreased pain resistance. Colonist is incapacitated more easily.
Always Wanted A Pony! - similar to prostophile, but a random animal is chosen. As long as the colony doesn't have that animal, -5 mood. Once you get the animal, +5 mood. An ice sheet colonist might want a cobra, elephant or an alphabeaver. This trait is essentially a mini-quest.

SantaSam5436

Hi,
      Some of the ideas/things that i think should be in the game are already implemented with mods and that should make them fairly easy to add to the main game. For example:
-Hospitality: Visitors should be able to be convinced to join the colony, or to improve their faction relationship.
-I forget what mod this is from, but you should be able to remove/replace all of a colonist's body parts.
-More prosthesis: Better legs, Replacements for the other body parts that could be harvested.
-Animal Revamp: Work animals function perfectly but using animals for combat is terrible. Usually an animal will wander into my killbox and get instantly shredded. It would be nice if the animals would have some sort of logic to their actions.
-Combat Realism: This mod, maybe without the whole ammo system, would be a great addition to the game because most bullets go to the generic "torso" area. In real life, organs are squishier and prone to more damage. Also, limbs should be sturdier, and only destructible by high caliber weapons. For example, I had a colonist lose an arm from a low-powered rifle a couple of times.
-More Traits: The more, the better.
-More power options: For example, a generator that runs on oil, a mineable resource.
-More Animals: Back to the animals, you should try and add as many as possible, I'm pretty sure there already is a thread for this.
I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how hard these suggestions will be to implement, but thank you for reading this. BTW, this is my favorite game ever! Thanks for all the work you've put into this game Tynan&co.

The-MathMog

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 05, 2016, 01:15:51 PM
Colonist traits
Squeamish: gets a temporary negative mood when he sees blood, a surgery, cooking with meat or butchering.
Always Wanted A Pony! - similar to prostophile, but a random animal is chosen. As long as the colony doesn't have that animal, -5 mood. Once you get the animal, +5 mood. An ice sheet colonist might want a cobra, elephant or an alphabeaver. This trait is essentially a mini-quest.
Haha, good simple suggestions. Love the "I want a pony!" trait... Imagine a colonist having a meltdown, causing the colony to crumple, just because she wanted a Labrador and not a warg ^^

Vaporisor

Quote from: The-MathMog on June 05, 2016, 04:17:12 PM
Haha, good simple suggestions. Love the "I want a pony!" trait... Imagine a colonist having a meltdown, causing the colony to crumple, just because she wanted a Labrador and not a warg ^^

___ wants a thrumbo
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

b0rsuk

Quote from: Vaporisor on June 05, 2016, 04:19:28 PM
Quote from: The-MathMog on June 05, 2016, 04:17:12 PM

___ wants a thrumbo
Obviously this should be a thing! Thrumbo is just one of the many possible animals, and such a colonist would be memorable. Thrumbos might be almost impossible to tame, but exotic traders sometimes sell them. Alphabeaver is harder to sustain.
To make it less harsh and more dynamic, it could be:
-5 if colony doesn't have that animal,
+-0 if there's that animal on map,
+5 if colony has the animal
That way, even a thrumbo fan would sometimes be less unhappy.
----------------

Announcing trade caravans via Comms Console
It's a bit strange that caravans from other factions arrive with NO warning at all. It wouldn't change much, but it would make factions feel more dynamic and active if they also occasionally contacted YOU. This is a simple and useful way to achieve that. Caravans would always arrive at the same rate, but if you have Comms Console you would get notified in advance, like: "Our caravan will arrive in 3 days. Cargo will include product X, product Y, product Z."
Maybe factions would only notify in advance if they like you ? Say, your relation is 20+. Not a big thing, but would make player feel warm and fuzzy.
The communication could later be easily expanded. For example if there are manhunters outside your door, you might want to call off the caravan and tell them to arrive 2 days later. Or tell them not to arrive at all if there are Scythers terrorizing the countryside.

Listening at Comms Console
Inspired by my own idea above. A colonist could try listening to distant signals to get some information. Once per day, he could get an idea if there are trade ships incoming, and what kind of trade ships. Other events you could detect would be drop pods and mechanoid raids (higher chance with higher skill).
This would use the Research skill, because it's the closest Rimworld has to high tech know-how.

mumblemumble

Quote from: king komodo on June 05, 2016, 12:22:28 PM
Quote from: mumblemumble on June 05, 2016, 03:17:01 AM

Chances of such a thing happening, 1 in a million. But it's happened so actually not a bad idea.
Not particularly, depends on the gun. Pistol, sure, knife, sure...shotgun, minigun, rocket launcher, ect....a bit more likely.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Jonofwrath

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 05, 2016, 01:15:51 PM
Colonist traits

+1

Kegereneku

Pin this old "Write an Event" topic on the first page to avoid repeat and gather Event-related at the same place.

Yes I'm totally saying that because I have an huge post on the 2nd page.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

b0rsuk

Animals acting as bodyguards
Please make Obedience training more useful by letting player to set animals to bodyguard mode. They would follow the colonist and attack nearby hostiles. This would be especially useful for (melee) hunting colonists... and colonists being hunted.

Animals too small or cowardly to help would bark, hiss (cats) etc. to alert you.