cool things i made in rimworld #2 super freezer -185c

Started by deepSeaKing, February 08, 2017, 08:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepSeaKing

i made a in game sun-clock that can almost accurately show time. i know there is a in game clock UI but this is just for fun, an also how do colonist know time if they don't have any clock  :P
cheek out my video link at bottom to know how i made it.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

PotatoeTater

I like it, very good use of game mechanics.
Life is Strange

deepSeaKing

Quote from: PotatoeTater on February 08, 2017, 09:37:46 AM
I like it, very good use of game mechanics.
Thanks   ;D PotatoeTater,  i got more things like this to show maybe another day

Lawlzer

Quote from: deepSeaKing on February 08, 2017, 08:45:07 AM
i made a in game sun-clock that can almost accurately show time. i know there is a in game clock UI but this is just for fun, an also how do colonist know time if they don't have any clock  :P
cheek out my video at bottom to know how i made it.
That's amazing! Reminds me of all the craziness people make in other games, despite seeming like many crazy things couldn't happen in them.
Uh oh, you're starting the craziness. It all started with a Sun clock.. then a rocket.. then..

deepSeaKing

Quote from: Lawlzer on February 08, 2017, 10:03:25 AM
That's amazing! Reminds me of all the craziness people make in other games, despite seeming like many crazy things couldn't happen in them.
Uh oh, you're starting the craziness. It all started with a Sun clock.. then a rocket.. then..
thanks that you appreciated my work, who knows what will come tynan is still working  :)

Hans Lemurson

Why that particular arrangement of pegs and squares?  Is the path of the sun asymmetric?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

deepSeaKing

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 09, 2017, 01:11:20 AM
Why that particular arrangement of pegs and squares?  Is the path of the sun asymmetric?
The shadow length is asymmetric, if you mirror them in both side the shadow will not line up with the dial in accurate time that's why this particular arrangement. you can also try to build you own and mess up with you will get it may be you will come up something better than me.   

Catastrophy

Now we need a way to connect this to the sunlamp to toggle it on and off.

deepSeaKing

Quote from: Catastrophy on February 09, 2017, 02:08:18 AM
Now we need a way to connect this to the sunlamp to toggle it on and off.
that's not possible because in real-life also sun-clocks works on the relative position and length of shadow. forming cause of the earths rotation. An artificial sun-lamp may have the light but earth is not rotating around it so it will not work.
and the only shadow in this game forms from sun and moon. torch, table lights, or sun-lamps are unable to form shadow.

CrazyEyes

He's talking about using the clock to toggle the sun lamp off at night to save power, not using the lamp to illuminate the clock. :P
Before you talk to me, I should warn you: I am kind of strange.

deepSeaKing

Quote from: CrazyEyes on February 09, 2017, 03:41:41 AM
He's talking about using the clock to toggle the sun lamp off at night to save power, not using the lamp to illuminate the clock. :P
oh my bad  :P i would be efficient but alas can't possible in vanilla

deepSeaKing

i made something new again this time a super freezer, with i i ever reach -185c with 22 coolers. cooler have been Nerfed in alpha 16. in alpha 15 you could reach the same temperature with same setup with only half no of coolers.
cheek out my video link at the bottom to know how i make it. 

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Hans Lemurson

I'm pretty sure that Coolers work just as well in parallel as in series.  Also double-wall insulation is vastly more effective than two single-wall layers.

3 Coolers sucking heat out of a double-walled room can achieve roughly the same temperature as your setup.

Hold on, misread some numbers there.  -185C is a lot better than you can achieve with just double-walling.

Zhentar

Coolers in parallel can never achieve a delta-T higher than 120C, so if you want crazy temperatures like that, you have to use staging. For ordinary freezer temperatures, yeah, you just want coolers in parallel.

Hans Lemurson

Hmm...so in theory you should be able to achieve a delta-T of 120 for each layer, so 3 layers can get to absolute zero 3oK?