Befriending Spaces Gives Uninterrupted Trader Supply

Started by Didact04, September 27, 2015, 04:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Didact04

I mean, it only makes sense, right? I don't know if spacers are so much a faction as an environmental factor in the game right now, but heck, SOMEONE is up there. Traders float around and they're clearly alligned to something. And if you befriend them, they'd probably take the time to put you on their contact list and you could keep tabs on one another. It'd also probably do to hand out (or make it possible to craft) something to make constant communication possible.

As it stands the biggest grief I have with the game is that you are sometimes just stuck waiting around. I can't tell you how many times I've hit this 'hurry up and wait' phase waiting for traders and thought to myself how I'd rather be doing something else. It's just a chore and adds a needless hassle to grinding to the end game.

Not sure what you'd have to do to get on the good side of someone in orbit, but anything seems like a good alternative to sitting with my thumb up my butt, waiting for a notification that a trader will allow my progress to continue.

Also, space marine strike teams. That'd be nice. But mostly I just want their cash.

Boston

I just like how, canonically, space travel is very difficult, and only possible with longer-term cryo-pods and "sleeper" ships.

But, you know, space-borne trading ships travel overhead every couple of days. Casuallly ;)

If I had my way, the only people you could trade with would be the people around you, on the planet. Which would give you a great incentive not to piss them off.

Porthos_1980

NuclearStudent

Quote from: Boston on September 27, 2015, 05:21:43 AM
I just like how, canonically, space travel is very difficult, and only possible with longer-term cryo-pods and "sleeper" ships.

But, you know, space-borne trading ships travel overhead every couple of days. Casuallly ;)

If I had my way, the only people you could trade with would be the people around you, on the planet. Which would give you a great incentive not to piss them off.

You know, that makes a lot more sense than the system we have now. I've never thought about it deeply before.

Ravenwood

Spaceborne traders have never made much sense to me.  For example, you can sell your prisoners into slavery or buy a slave from a trader, but can't buy passage to escape?  All things considered, selling yourself into slavery may be a better alternative to some than being trampled to death by 75 manhunting ewes.  Perhaps every passing ship is really controlled by a greedy evil AI that wants humans to suffer but is willing gouge you on silver.

Local trade makes somewhat more sense, though perhaps you can only trade with a Faction if you have positive standing and representatives are on the map, given the distances involved and (apparently?) low density of population.

Might be interesting to model the Factions more thoroughly like a 4X game.  That way -99 Hostile Factions won't incessantly throw armies at you in spite of every prior attack being slaughtered (literally) for dog food with their skin made into La-Z-Boy lounge chairs & dusters.   From the outside player colonies look like homebody Reavers.

BetaSpectre

If I had a small trader show up. I'd send a boarding party laced in silver "gifts" then take over the ship.

Unless the ship's crew is 50+ I can take em without much trouble.

Everyone including Tynan doesn't really like the current trading system if I recall correctly. Though local trade should definetly be a thing. With the trade intervals dependent on distance from civilization.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Boston

There is a mod that allows for local traders. It is pretty awesome.

Toragor

It depends on how the trader is actually designed. Is it a real person/crew visiting you in their ship? Or is it an autonomous drone, flying from planet to planet looking for radio broadcasts, haggling and sending stuff down by some fixed program? I always thought it must be something of the later, that would also explain these random cargo drops from time to time ... some trader drones malfunctioned and crashed to the planet. If the first design would be the case you could get off that planet very quickly, very early.

Didact04

I'm more for the planet-side trading, honestly. We're all stuck on this rock and we need stuff and we can trade for it. That and I have a pretty good idea how extremely hard getting into orbit really is, and those drop pods don't just grow on trees; all that material has to come from somewhere and those things don't lift themselves off the ground with willpower and good intentions.

The game just needs less grind. We can make it harder without making it drag on. Leave grinding to MMO's.

BetaSpectre

The game IMO isn't too much of a bore, get a good income source and you'll be getting plenty of supplies. Sell food for ore/essentials/tools.

I just don't like how you need 160 metal to build a gun, but you get like 14 after like half a minute of spending electricity to get it back. Full recovery makes sense, I'd much prefer that raiders can walk off with supplies then for resources to up and vanish.

Local traders make more sense, but so would multiple colonies each on a seperate tab.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

cultist

I don't think "spacers" are considered an actual faction, they're just random people who got lost in space at some point. They're assigned as "spacers" so you can tell them apart from "tribals" and "pirates".

LordUbik

Personally I would like to see both space trading and local trading.

Local trading would be the same as now, maybe nerfed a bit to represent the difficulty and danger of going around with valuables in a world full of pirates and angry tribespeople.

Space trading instead could be a special and much rarer event. An enormous space ship, eith huge amounts of goods and silver.