Percentage chances for backstories to affect traits.

Started by Call me Arty, March 28, 2018, 04:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Fairly simple. In the scenario editor, there is the ability to set a percent chance for pawns to spawn with a trait, i.e. "30% chance to start with trait: Cannibal." There is also the fact that a lot of your tribal in your tribal start will probably suffer from malnutrition. That's understandable, they've been moving for a while, not a lot of time for getting full.

So, with this in mind, why do we have pawns who are incapable of firefighting due to a trauma who end-up as pyromaniacs? Why do we have gladiators who can be wimps? How do we end-up with vat-grown soldiers who are brawlers, shouldn't they prefer firearms over clubs? Wargs were the ones engineered for CQC with enemy faces.

What I'm trying to say here is that the backstories need to have some influence on the kinda person who came out of the end of them. At the same time, I acknowledge there exist outliers - a gun-nut who's on the heavier side of weight who frequents kickball games organized by the local LGBT community being amongst my social circles - who do not fall within the realms of stereotypes. So, I propose a percentage value to have or not have perks to be added to backstories.

What do I mean by this? Take a labor camp orphan, for example. If they were a lazy orphan, than a more accurate backstory would probably be "fertilizer." Similarly, near to two decades of mistreatment might make someone more nervous in general. So, this might correlate to a -70% chance to not spawn with lazy as a trait, and maybe +60% chance to spawn with nervous. This could be affected further by other backstories, like a Glitterworld (the lap of luxury) position potentially leading to a +40% chance of spawning with the lazy perk, resulting in a net -30% of spawning with the perk.

This seems like something that would've been suggested before, so apologize in advance of that.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Alerter

Backstory: ritual child. Chance to receive masochistic trait: +90%  :D

Cool idea man, but I think it will require too much work. I mean, we already have some backstories, which may prevent/cause pawns to have specific traits (not too many actually). I think it will be easier just to increase number of those. Close to your idea, but instead of specific (and questionable) percentage its simply 0% or 100%

Call me Arty

Quote from: Alerter on March 28, 2018, 07:09:19 PM
Cool idea man, but I think it will require too much work. I mean, we already have some backstories, which may prevent/cause pawns to have specific traits (not too many actually). I think it will be easier just to increase number of those. Close to your idea, but instead of specific (and questionable) percentage its simply 0% or 100%

My issue is that sometimes, all-or-nothing doesn't always make sense. Take, for example, the Ascetic Priest background, who (allegedly) took a vow of silence and enjoyed working in the garden. It's pretty likely that they kept that vow (still incapable of social), so we could probably rule-out annoying voice and abrasive from trait slots altogether. However, enjoying working in the garden could just mean they had a passion for it, not that they had a green thumb. Similarly for the Deep Space Miner background, " . . . did the sweaty, grimy work of pulling metal out of asteroids on a deep space rig. [He] used [his] hands-on industrial skills daily - and wasn't bad in a bar fight either" could mean that they'd be immune to traits like lazy, wimp wimp could work. . . assuming they were like, a brawler or something. It's just not very likely.

It would take a fair amount of menial work, but I'd appreciate it. Wimps can have their place in spicing things up, I'd just prefer it wasn't formerly on the battlefield.

Oh, and as an added note, how all "Serial Murderer" backgrounds don't have some combination of psychopath and bloodlust is beyond me.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Alerter

Yeah, I understand. Once I had an assassin colonist with 15 melee skill and very interesting combo: bloodlust and wimp. That was funny (it wasn't). But you know, it's all part of the story. I mean, players can just imagine what could cause such traits in specific backstories. Maybe this assassin did his job for a long time, but then realized, that killing is not what he wants. So he ended up meditating, until he arrived to your colony.
P.S. I can imagine how serial murderers can be without bloodlust/psychopath traits. Of course, they can enjoy killing and stuff, but despite having this "hobby" they can act like a normal people. Also, they could do it for money (not without specific style tho).

sick puppy

i am absolutely pro this.
here are some examples, but without percentages because that is up to balancing:

[backstory] -> [traits that should be more probable] / [traits that should be less probable]

acolyte of the stars -> ascetic teetotaler psychically (hyper-) sensitive prostophobe / greedy jealous psychically dull psychically deaf prostophile

adventurer "NAME's thirst for adventure took her to many planets. HECAP visited the brightest glitterworlds and the darkest war-torn toxic planets in HIS quest to find novelty. HECAP worked as little as possible, often skirting ethical boundaries to make a quick buck. Among all jobs, HE hated cooking the most." -> lazy slothful / industious hardworker

aromatherapist -> chemical interest fascination green thumb super immune

ascetic priest -> ascetic green thumb teetotaler psychically (hyper-) sensitive prostophobe / prostophile greedy jealous psychically dull psychically deaf

bartender -> chemical interest chemical fascination brawler night owl / wimp annoying voice

beast slayer -> careful shooter trigger-happy brawler

behaviour research -> too smart fast learner prostiphile / green thumb prostiphobe

biosphere manager -> green thumb lazy slothful / industrious hardworker

blacksmith -> brawler / trigger-happy careful shooter

bodyguard -> bloodlust trigger-happy careful shooter nimble brawler / wimp

bounty hunter -> trigger-happy careful shooter

castaway 1 and 2 -> nudist ;) ironwilled steadfast / nervous volatile

cave tender -> kind? wimp?

chief engineer -> abrasive too smart abrasive prostophile (very) neurotic / prostophobe

colony settler -> steadfast ironwilled / nervous volatile pyromaniac gay (because gays cant get kids and who needs colonists that cant get any)

yeah i think these were enough examples for now. i didnt particularly pick any that i thought needed some updating, i just took the list from wiki and started at the top.

and before anybody complains, obviously if a backstory has 10 traits that fit it then it would be around +5% each and if there is only one that fits then it could be much higher if necessary, like 50%. other than that i dont believe we should add too much of an additional percentage here for certain traits with certain backstories because at some point it is just plain boring when you see farm oafs everywhere that are always slothful or lazy and maybe even slowpokes. at that point i'd rather see more different backstories and traits, as for me i have never seen a super immune pawn before and most of the backstories are completely new to me. i always just see the same damn traits, most of all the spectrum ones and all the adult tribal backstories. adult tribal backstories definitely need some more variation and i think due to some mathematical thingie going on in rimworld there are also unreasonably many spectrum traits. both need fixing imo