Count to !UPDATED! 20,000 before Tynan posts!

Started by GamerGuy, March 28, 2015, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

Yeah, to put it simply, mechs see us as their enemy/competitor/threat but animals are weak and worthless. They can safely be ignored.

Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Dukkha

Quote from: Rock5 on December 23, 2016, 10:54:16 PM
Yeah, to put it simply, mechs see us as their enemy/competitor/threat but animals are weak and worthless. They can safely be ignored.

Hey! We didn't call for a random number generator here! What you trying to pull?

Losing is fun!

Rock5

I used the correct number.

Figure it out. :)

Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Rock5

Merry Christmas, by the way, for those who celebrate it.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Spdskatr

You know what it was a wise choice not to join into this conversation
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Adamiks

mabor0shi

Happy Xmas!
48154815481548154815481548154815481548154815481548154815481548154815481548154815481548154815481548154815481548154815481548154815481548154815
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Adamiks

Listen1

Hello! Merry christmas everyone!

Lance

Within our darkest moments, we control our mental climates
Never fold under pressure, thats what makes diamonds
And even if you failed a million times, continue trying

Adamiks

By the way, about whole 'Person' topic.

Would a human without emotions still be a person? I'm saying literally 0 emotions. They wouldnt have any of the parts of the brain responsible for emotions.

And people like that actually exist. Well. They probably arent 100% emotionless, but at least very close to that. To the point emotions dont drive them. Yet, they exist, and they function.

So in the end, i think it's a self-preservation instincts that plays the major role here, not just emotions. Maybe machines with no emotions would do everything, just to survive, instead of doing it because of chemical reactions that would give them pleasure.

However...

Those machines would be still different from emotionless humans, now that i think about it. Even with self-preservation instinct, they still would just stand still when not facing a threat.

Humans, even the ones who dont feel emotions, can still feel 'bored'. It is another thing that forces them to act.

They also feel hunger, get thirsty and tired.

So ehh well... I thought im getting somewhere, but i still cant answer the question where exactly is the barrier.

On one hand, we have animals. Emotions, but not as intelligent as humans.

On other hand, we have emotionless, cold, logical machines, and their only goal is to keep existing.

And neither could be considered people for me.

I guess in order to be a person you need to have a connection of both. High enough intelligence and something that will channel being's mind power. Something like emotions.

Though, issue is... If aliens of another specie had a similar definition of a 'person', this could mean that we wouldn't be people for them. Maybe because we would too dumb, or maybe because they would have something more than emotions (whatever it could be).

So maybe... The whole concept is wrong, at it's core?

All of it reminds me of "The Talon Principle". Great puzzle game, where between the puzzles you can chat with an AI using comms consoles. While being an AI. Two AI's talking about what does it mean to be a person. Intriguing. Well, there is a difference between them. The first one is a huge data storage.

catter

You have lots of good points Adamiks, and it really depends on your perspective of what a "person" may be whether you are a human, extra-terrestrial, or another race of human.

Based on my perspective a person is a being that can interact in a complex society, (like a unified tribe or a large country), and make as much of a difference on that society as you can, (either good or bad, doesn't matter).

Adamiks

Yes, i think it boils down into not what something has inside its mind, but how it affects and responds to the world around it.

It's a similar thing when it comes to the concept of living beings. If i had to forget what people taught me about the definition of 'alive', i would say that being alive means having an impact on environment around you.

catter

Philosophy, we cover that in this thread...