Any plans for bigger maps?

Started by xrumblingcdsx, January 19, 2017, 10:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xrumblingcdsx

My bases are getting too large...

GarettZriwin

Do you use custom map size or its too small for you?

Pushover

Did you select 400x400 under Advanced when picking your starting location when you started your colony? The default is a little small if you are on a flat map without a coast, although you could make a spiraling exterior to give yourself more of a response time.

Cpt. DuctTape

Quote from: xrumblingcdsx on January 19, 2017, 10:21:33 PM
My bases are getting too large...

You have an entire planet's worth of space. And you can have up to 5 bases at once, plus you can use the "Ludicrous" map size as well. Isn't that enough? o_o

Grax

Quote from: Cpt. DuctTape on January 20, 2017, 05:06:02 AM
You have an entire planet's worth of space. And you can have up to 5 bases at once, plus you can use the "Ludicrous" map size as well. Isn't that enough? o_o

5 bases? How?

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Grax

So can anybody tell me how do you play large scale bases without lags?

skullywag

how large? anything above 30 colonists and a decent sized map and even a top end rig is gonna get lag to a degree. The game just isnt optimised for that level of processing.

Grax

Quote from: skullywag on January 20, 2017, 05:35:52 AM
how large? anything above 30 colonists and a decent sized map and even a top end rig is gonna get lag to a degree. The game just isnt optimised for that level of processing.
250*250, 50-60 colonists+hauler robots (how can it be less for extreme if i just get 185 manhunter wargs?), crops growing everywhere, 10 animals in 5*5 zone.
Somewhat around 100000-200000 units of everything in the stockpiles waiting for traders.
I've tried setting stacklimit to 500-900 instead of vanilla's 20-75, to have lesser quantity of lumps but haven't noticed any increase in fps.

Heavy lagging on the first speed, scrolling is jumpy. Second speed looks like slideshow and scrolling map is even slower than on the first.
And it's on the Intel i7-4770. Fcking disappoint.

skullywag

your lag on older colonies is probably totally due to alivepawns (world pawns), removing all of them (apart from the factionleaders) from your save file would probably give you a considerable boost.

RazorHed

I keep plant sway turned off as well.

xrumblingcdsx

I have the largest map in advanced settings selected. Map still seems small.

Losttruppen

Quote from: xrumblingcdsx on January 20, 2017, 09:33:51 AM
I have the largest map in advanced settings selected. Map still seems small.

Really? You don't find half your haulers/basic craftsmen running off to Mordor for stone chunks and steel slag from drop pods?

Grax

Quote from: skullywag on January 20, 2017, 06:22:00 AM
your lag on older colonies is probably totally due to alivepawns (world pawns), removing all of them (apart from the factionleaders) from your save file would probably give you a considerable boost.
And how will i find them?

I've checked the save and found not so many entries of any "<pawn>Thing_Human****", most of them are on corpses that were hunted by somebody.
So i think it's not the cause.
Plant swaying also didn't make the difference.

Maybe there is an option in dev mode that shows time spent on calculations for different aspects of the game like pathfinding or graphic or temperature etc?
Factorio have it and it's great thing to check what take the most and lags.

Grax

Just checked the base.
95 persons - 5 human and 90 robots. And 4 in caravan on the worldmap.

Ok.
That awry fcked and still unparallelled pathfinding is the cause.
All base men standing drafted - and FPS restored.