Select prisoner rations.

Started by BetaSpectre, March 09, 2015, 01:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BetaSpectre

I want to pick what prisoners can eat.
Like say raw food if I don't want them to be hogging my cooked food.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

RickyMartini

Keychan

You could always put a single block stockpile of potatoes (they spoil the slowest) in their room and unselect 'Gets Food' so colonist won't deliver meals.  They'll eat the potatoes on the floor themselves.  But yeah, I get annoyed with my warden gives the man responsible for killing some my people a fine or lavish meal just cause.

Covered in Weasels

A nutrient paste dispenser in the cell works as well. The prisoners can operate it themselves, so as long as they aren't incapacitated you don't need to bring your own food to them.

Vexare

+1

I like this idea because I'm putzing around with the prison/slave mods and one of my chief complaints is how to make sure my 'slave' cooks don't eat the fancy meals cooked for the slavers! I can't really physically separate them efficiently. I have a nutrient paste dispenser in the dining area for the slaves/workers and that's all I want them to eat. I would prefer to be able to label simple meals as edible for injured / incapacitated prisoners so they don't get the nutrient paste negative. But fine and lavish meals I want to reserve only for the 'elite' of my colony. I know, it's terribly mean.

harpo99999

+1+1+1
I also want to restrict the fine and better meals to MY colonists, and the nutrient paste & maybe the simple meals to prisoners/unconverted (as I have a nutrient paste dispenser with hoppers in an adjoining freezer that holds the type of meat(human/raider) that I want the prisoners to eat in their paste)

Silvador

Quote from: Covered in Weasels on March 09, 2015, 02:37:32 PM
A nutrient paste dispenser in the cell works as well. The prisoners can operate it themselves, so as long as they aren't incapacitated you don't need to bring your own food to them.

I don't think this is a very valid option if you are the type of person who builds individual cells for your prisoners. As far as I know, they can't leave their room unless taken out by a colonist, so a nutrient paste dispenser is only really an option if you either put all your prisoners in one big room, together, or build one, big dispenser for ever... single... room.

If we were able to expand prisoner areas to attached areas, so that one could be a whole prison compound, with attached outdoor area and even dining hall, for the prisoners to freely move around in, this would certainly make the dispenser a much more viable option for those who don't want to just cram all their prisoners in one room like a bunch of sardines.

BetaSpectre

I mostly feed my prisoners HUMAN flesh to teach them the errors of using human wave tactics against me.

I have a orbital trade station in the only non mountain part of my mountain home. Often times my offerings to the heavens also include raider drops and the glorious cycle of capture, butcher, feed, and sell continues.

Unfortunetly I reserved the freezer for human bodies alone, and I store the human flesh with my cooked meals. So personally this idea is so that I don't have to designate a freezer to feed my prisoners human flesh. To maximize my colonist's doctoring of course.

I've long given up on recruiting prisoners due to the hilarity of selling prisoners for slaves. All parties suffer equally. But it is my vague hope that one day my colonists will become accustomed to this. Unless they catch plague then cryo tube you go for the next world generation to find a bunker of plague victims.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

Vexare

Quote from: Silvador on March 09, 2015, 05:48:25 PM
If we were able to expand prisoner areas to attached areas, so that one could be a whole prison compound, with attached outdoor area and even dining hall, for the prisoners to freely move around in, this would certainly make the dispenser a much more viable option for those who don't want to just cram all their prisoners in one room like a bunch of sardines.

I just started playing around with Wastelander's Prison Improvements Mod (he also has a full slaver mod) and it does just what you described ...gives the ability to designate larger areas (such as a dining area or outdoor exercise yard) as prisoner areas with a mounted wall camera. So clever! It also has doors that can't be accessed by prisoners and only your colonists. Now I am busy designing my first large-scale slave colony where the workers have their own separate sleeping cells but community eating, working and outdoor areas. :)

b0rsuk

I'd love to be able to select food for patients especially, because those have mood issues whereas prisoners will tolerate anything that doesn't make them sick as long as there's a warden.

But I would appreciate if I had a way to give spare warm clothes to prisoners. It's winter in my boreal forest, and sometimes I have to burn several campfires for each group of prisoners. You don't always have enough power and steel* to use a heater.

* in my current game I recovered from having only two colonists: an artist with bad back and a space researcher. Pirates were outranging my turrets, so I had the idea to sneak my 12 Melee brawler through the forest and stab them in the back. They knew about my plan, turned around, and kidnapped him, never to be seen again.
Both my survivors had "-" listed as their Social value, so when a space refugee dropped by, and I stretched myself to build a bed in the very cramped battery room, I wasn't even able to feed him other than leaving food on the floor. I wasn't even able to explicitly Release him, I had to deconstruct the door!
Eventually I accumulated enough steel and sold enough medicine to get the cheapest slave, with two cataracts and some scars. It went relatively smooth from there.

BetaSpectre

Turrets suck as guns. better use them as kill box or land mines.

They really do need some re balancing.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

Monkfish

I like the idea of being able to select what your prisoners get to eat. Though...

Quote from: Keychan on March 09, 2015, 01:43:32 PM
You could always put a single block stockpile of potatoes (they spoil the slowest) in their room and unselect 'Gets Food' so colonist won't deliver meals.  They'll eat the potatoes on the floor themselves.  But yeah, I get annoyed with my warden gives the man responsible for killing some my people a fine or lavish meal just cause.
I hadn't thought of doing this, usually being obsessed with keeping all perishables in an enormous freezer instead. The same could be done with meals too, just restrict the stockpile to whatever meal type you want them to have.
<insert witty signature here>