Favorite A16 seed(s)

Started by dragonalumni, March 09, 2017, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonalumni

Finding a seed I really like is so dam difficult, the one I am playing now is basically the best one I've ever had and I thought I could share it and perhaps ask others to share if they got any.

This map has a perfect natural defense (valley) with a small amount of rich soil and 2 thermal vents in the center of the map against the mountain on the western side, a short distance away 3 more vents and an enormous field of rich soil. I also do not know why but this map is ridiculously full of wild animals all the time, I have never seen so many herds consistantly, I cannot even kill all the ones that wander right into my colony.

Seed: rock
generate 100% of the planet
Map Size: 400x400
Map Type: Mountains (Sandstone, Marble, Granite -- with a ton of Limestone and Slate structures)

Please feel free to share your favorite seeds, I have some smaller map seeds I'll share later if this topic gets any interest, but currently I much prefer the bigger maps.

Limdood

how do i check the map seed if i forgot it after i started the colony....found an amazing map location

Shinzy

Quote from: Limdood on March 09, 2017, 09:27:37 AM
how do i check the map seed if i forgot it after i started the colony....found an amazing map location

Open your savefile with notepad and search for "Seed"
(To find the savefile go to Options and hit the 'Open Save data folder' button)

Or do the way smarter thing explained below that I didn't even know about yet oh golly gosh :-[

dragonalumni

Quote from: Limdood on March 09, 2017, 09:27:37 AM

just open the [world] map and click any hexagon that will show the [planet] and [terrain] icons, click the [planet] icon and it tells you what your seed is.

kalan

Hi! ^^ I like this idea!
Here are some of the maps I've found quite interesting! However, they are all the default size: 250x250

1) Seed: coast
Location: 26.23 N  118.90 W Temperate Forest, 40 days growing period
Map Size:250x250
Map Type: Mountains (Granite,  and Limestone)
Description: the map has a coast on the south , and 2 of the other sides are almost completely covered by mountains, leaving only the east side vulnerable. As a bonus, on the south west there is a hidden valley, completely enclosed in the mountains, that had some fertile soil in my game (I'm not sure, but I think that details like fertile soil and geothermal vents change places when you start the map anew. Is it right?)

2)Seed: cards
Location: 45.66 N  170.18 W Boreal Forest, 30 days growing period
Map Size: 250x250
Map Type: Mountains (Sandstone, Slate, Limestone)
Description: Coast on the North, Mountains on the West. You land right into a small canyon: if you dig north of it you will find an enclosed hidden valley. Further digging in the north western part of the valley reveals an area where the mountains are low enough that the roof can be deconstructed creating an area that can fit 2 or 3 solar generators (you can detect them checking the color of the area you are digging: if the tiles are a lighter color than the surrounding ones it's a tip that the area can be unroofed)

3)Seed: eagle
Location: 13.75 S  102.87 E Tropical Rainforest, year round growing period
Map Size: 250x250
Map Type: Mountains (Marble, Granite)
Description: Coast on the south, mountains on the West. You land in a big valley that can be enclosed with some work, but there is a smaller one just north of it that should be easier to defend. I personally settled on the south eastern beach (thanks to a mod with some reasearch and work I can convert sand in soil), with the first farms near the edge of the map on the east. However, I found that enemies usually spawned right there (or in the north western part of the map), so it can be quite challenging at the beginning if they catch you unprepared.

dragonalumni

Kalan, thanks for your input, I'm fairly sure that all features of a map with the same seed, size and location will be exactly the same each time it is created.

Here is my favorite 300x300 map. (one of my earliest successful settlements)

Seed: mountain
generate 100% of the planet     
Location: 20.82 S 176.83 W  Temperate Forest (50 days grow....)
Map Size: 300x300
Map Type: mountains (slate and lime stone) black and white baby!

This map has a huge valley that is easy to protect with plenty of rich soil. It contains two geothermals. (You are also neighbors to a friendly faction outpost on the next square, with 5 more in a less then 3 day walk) If you dig in a lot to the east and south corner there is a large undiscovered area that is not fully enclosed with a ton of rich soil. I dug a tunnel at the far end connecting it to the world map proper and walled it off and it was never bothered. You could also just avoid finding it as it certainly isn't needed real estate.

Limdood

Seed: paul
Coverage: 30%
1 towards cold
1 towards wet
settle at 0.70S, 6.24E
size: default

It is a mountainous region that has a coast.  The coast isn't visible at the start.

When you land, you'll see mountains covering the entire western and southern edges of the map....go to the crook of the mountains, the bottom leftmost area (theres a nice rich soil patch) and mine into the mountains to the west....about 30 tiles in, you'll bust out the other side.

On that "other side" of the mountains, there is deep water along the only map edge so you can't be raided from there, there are 3 geothermals in the section and LOADS of soil to farm in.  Its basically an unraidable valley that you can grow in, produce power in, and defend through a single mountain entrance.  There is also a year-round growing season, a mild overall temperature (no nasty heat waves), and enough room in the mountain to easily house the colonists under overhead roofs

dragonalumni

Limdood, You reminded me of something I forgot to mention in my posts and that is map generation.. good call .. but it seems like you didn't mention the size of the map in your seed.

Limdood

Quote from: dragonalumni on March 10, 2017, 12:41:42 PM
Limdood, You reminded me of something I forgot to mention in my posts and that is map generation.. good call .. but it seems like you didn't mention the size of the map in your seed.
edited in in.  default size.

Also apparently faction placement seems random.  in my game i got lucky and have an outlander town in the flat land adjacent.