[resolved] My computer keeps freezing

Started by invalidusername, October 01, 2018, 03:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

invalidusername

Edit: I disabled my second monitor and haven't had a crash ever since.

Hi

I recently installed Ubuntu 18.04.1 on my computer. I didn't have any problems when I had Win7 (other than the files being corrupted and computer refusing to start). But now when I play Rimworld the computer goes completely unresponsive after a period of time and the last second of audio starts to play on loop. I have to forcibly restart my computer to continue. It's a new save with only 2 colonists and CPU usage and temperature stay at acceptable levels.

There is also some very minor graphic glitches with other games.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz × 8

Graphics card is AMD Radeon R7 370. Settings>Details>About shows next to graphics AMD Pitcairn. I don't really know what that means but I assume it is the driver that came with the installation. I think that the problem might be improper driver. I tried installing a new one at amd.com but they seem to support only Ubuntu 14.04.

I have the latest version and I'm not using any mods. I tried re-installing and the next gaming session managed to last many hours which is uncommon. But they are getting more frequent again.

invalidusername

It's been 4 days and no answer. I'd really appreciate if someone would try to help me on this. What logs should I provide? I have noticed that the game freezes more often if there is browser open with many tabs. The CPU, RAM and temperatures stay at normal levels and I have cleaned my computer from dust. I haven't seen problems like this with any other game I have played with this new setup.

I have also tried using start_RimWorld_openglfix.sh and start_RimWorld.sh and it didn't help

Haplo

Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you can do, as my Linux knowledge is roundabout ... 0% ;D
I can only point you to this Topic and hope it is a bit helpful for you.
Maybe you can also try to locate the output_log.txt file (if it is named like that on Linux..).
The info in there can most likely help about identifying the main problem..

invalidusername

I cant find any logs. I know where they should be but they aren't there. I tried to do the things that were advised on that thread but it didn't work. I shouldn't be the only one with this problem but I can't seem to find anyone with this specific kind of issues. The screen does not go black, it just freezes. It runs otherwise perfectly. And it seems to happen randomly, sometimes I can play many hours and sometimes it happens almost immediately when I continue my game.

Canute

To find the log take a look here
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0
Rimworld create at any start a new log. So there should be one.

invalidusername

All right. I found rimworld_log on tmp -folder. This caught my eye:

Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
Preloaded 'libCSteamworks.so'
Preloaded 'libsteam_api.so'
Unable to preload the following plugins:
   ScreenSelector.so
   libCSteamworks.so
   libsteam_api.so

Then at RimWorld -folder I tried running "RimWorldLinux.x86", I haven't tried that before, I have always just used "RimWorldLinux.x86_64" and those -openglfix.sh things. But this time it created the player.log on the "RimWorld by Ludeon Studios" -folder, rimworld_log at tmp does not update. The player.log does not show the same messages above, but it otherwise looks normal. I'm gonna provide the whole logs if the game crashes again with this new setup.

invalidusername

It froze again. Here's the log files:

[attachment deleted due to age]

invalidusername

I just had the same freeze with an another game. So the issue is probably in my computer.

Kirby23590

Is your computer factory made or custom built?

I'm mostly a windows 7 user so my knowledge & understanding of computers is about 0.5% knowledge.

I hope you can get back soon playing this game. ;D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

invalidusername

It's custom build. The computer is actually 10 years old and only the graphics card has been changed since. When I was playing "Banished" yesterday, It always froze my computer almost immediately. Then disabled my secondary screen, didn't open my browser or discord, and I managed to play it a long time without any problems. It could just be purely random, I have managed to play longer than an hour before (or maybe on those occasions I didn't have a browser on the background, I can't really remember), but I'm going to test that on Rimworld today.

Amak

Try this instead my dude:

https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

You'll have much better luck with game support and rumor has it, steam is porting direct x compatibility!

otherwise this guide (or tons of youtube vids) maybe?
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-amd-radeon-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

I dont use ubuntu, as I only use nix on my media server.