How do you guys make money?

Started by SwiftShadow, March 19, 2016, 11:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asanbr

Same as you mention. My favorite income lately is taming muffalo and alpacas and selling them to traders.

selling weapons in general is a huge source of income, and also clothes once the pirates come in quality clothing. I generally keep sniper rifles, charge rifles, frag and emp grenades and sell almost everything else.

crafting clothes can increase the value per quantity of leather and things taht you get from hunting animals.

wood sculptures are made quickly and sell for ok money once you gain the skill. I usually skill up art with stone materials and then craft from wood if there's wood around.

also, save medecine, you need it for infections , diseases and surgery, but from my experience, all normal wounds can be healed without medecine. so you can save a lot of money by not wasting medecine on normal wounds.
don't sell silver maces - you can melt them for 750 silver instead of selling for 200.

DoctorNick

I've had colonies in the tropics before where I'll start massive devilstrand plantations and then have all of the colonists sweat-shopping t-shirts and stuff.
Hi everybody!

falconbunker

Honestly I just wait for raids, then  take all of their stuff off their dead bodies and sell that stuff.

asanbr

build trading stations in the killbox and you wont' have to bother hauling all the crap that drops. strip the bodies on the ground before you haul them to the freezer for butchering, saves time and work. then just sell when the traders come around.
I really hate it when the freezer gets full of clothes

Shurp

Yes, if you're not playing on an ice sheet you can get a great return on investment from wood (bows / sculptures).  Although growing sequoia trees inside on a tundra map seems a bit silly :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Barley

Once your artists start dedicating their full time to sculpting, you'll find the wooded sculpture market to be a huge boon. Because soon they're getting excellent and superior sculptures that sell for hundreds of dollers. Plus you can then grab the occasional marble sculpture for your own colony and boost room stats to the stratosphere! Don't underestimate the value of a few sculptures around your defenses as well, as they will counter the uglyness of sandbags, turrets, and dead bodies.

I think having multiple income sources is also good, so follow everyone else's advice. Crafters should focus on stone for construction, but later tailoring because it boosts stats faster.

slyscavenger

raider skin clothing sells for a nice price lol

i also mass breed chickens

Listen1

I made a 8 men cooking freezer, where I made an enourmous amount of food. I believe I sold about 1200 meals for 5,3 silver each.

I took what, a month in game to do that? Besides it, the rest of my colony hunted, farmed, and skinned other people for meat and leather.

That was my most successful colony, with 18 colonist escaping the planet. Also, My main cook was a 54 years old with bad back and a peg leg called Sanji. That was a real coincidence.