Equipment stands

Started by me911, July 20, 2016, 09:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

me911

Iv been playing since A9 if I remember correctly And there's one thing that has always confused me. Equipment stands, WHY? what is the benefit to them over just designating a stockpile? From what I can see sure they look better than just a pile on the floor, but they mostly just seem like a waste of resources and construction time.
If i ever sound like i am unsure of something, i am.
If i ever sound like i know something, i don't.
I will try to help, but whatever i advise, doing the opposite is generally a good idea.

b0rsuk

Have you tried reading the text description of equipment racks ?

Interface annoyance: when you want to exchange a sniper rifle with a LMG which is on equipment rack, you can't do that directly. If you make a colonist equip a weapon from an equipment rack,  he will drop his previous weapon (if any) on the ground, driving all perfectionists crazy. You can order a colonsit to deposit weapon on empty equipment rack, but it requires an empty spot... and it will soon be filled by a dutiful colonist.

me911

Yes iv read the description, stops deterioration even if outside,but for the same price as a few equipment racks I could just build a small room with more storage space and it would stop deterioration aswell as preventing lightning, a boomrat or some other accident from destroying my weapons which might happen if their are outside.
Is the deterioration thing the only benefit? I thought I must have missed something because that doesn't really make them worthwhile in my experiences of the game
I will try to help, but whatever i advise, doing the opposite is generally a good idea.

ChimpX

Having equipment lying around on the floor also impacts Beauty & Space, which could impact your people's Mood. I believe storing stuff on racks does not.

Other than that the only advantage is to prevent  deterioration.

skullywag

Racks, outside, with no roofs. Thats what they give over stockpiles.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

me911

I was really hoping I had missed a trick which would make them really good, but apparently no :'( cheers for clearing that up though guys

Goldenpotatoes

The addition of allowing people to build roofs manually has all but pretty much destroyed any use of equipment racks. You can literally just make a stockpile near a wall and make sure you create a roof that goes over it. Boom, deterioration is gone and it didn't cost me a single resource.

Equipment racks really need some sort of benefit for extra storage or else they're just plain useless now.

Dread Zep

i *assumed* they improved the desirability of a room by allowing you to stack the value of the items in the room. 

eg: (2x assault rifle $)/ (2x cells) <  ((2x assault rifle $) + (equipment rack $)) / (2x cells)

and given that you can make an equipment rack out of anything, you can see how this improves the utility of having a storage space which adds value to its surroundings