Fungus

Started by Halinder, October 04, 2014, 04:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthiasagreen

just to flesh out the idea a bit more, if it cannot grow in sunlight, can it grow in a sun lamp area? Would a sunlamp kill it or just prevent it?
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

stefanstr

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on October 09, 2014, 10:44:39 AM
just to flesh out the idea a bit more, if it cannot grow in sunlight, can it grow in a sun lamp area? Would a sunlamp kill it or just prevent it?

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Wex

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on October 09, 2014, 10:44:39 AM
This will only cause internal lights to be changed to sun lamps. No, natural sunlight only.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Matthiasagreen

Turning all interior lights to sunlamps would require a lot of energy so I don't think that would be everyone's go to. With my colonies of about 10 with a light in every room, I am usually hurting for energy if I have one sunlamp with hydroponics. I think most people would setup a room with a sunlamp long enough to kill the growth and then take it down. Only my personal opinion though.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

userfredle

I agree tynan has to atleast check this idea out

One of my favorite games growing up was called Space Colony and there were many different plants that would mess up colonies in different ways

EX
-Quick growing weeds that pose no threat besides clogging up and destroying all structure in the way
-Directional Thornweed that routes right for the disturbance on the surface(Your colony), very tough to kill and takes effort and time
-Slower multiplying flower like plants that spawn insects that are insanely aggressive to any living thing near their home (Bring medkits!)

Wex

The problem is you can usually build large solar panels farm, large enough battery packs and there you have it. I have 7 sun lamps and I can make work both the crematorium and the smelter, WHILE charging the batteries. No pirate ever messes with solar panels. Fot stopping a fungus spreading you should then build one where the infestation is, and the problem is no more.
P.S. You can have the fungus as material for creating medikits once you have done the research and you mine it. The event of the fungus attacking your machinery should be random.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Alzarath

Quote from: userfredle on October 10, 2014, 10:51:22 AMOne of my favorite games growing up was called Space Colony and there were many different plants that would mess up colonies in different ways

Yay Space Colony. Biggest influence that convinced me to get Rimworld.

Maybe the fungus could spread in the sun, but slower. Make solar lamps effective at impeding it while not totally eliminating the threat.

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Alzarath on October 10, 2014, 01:32:48 PM
Quote from: userfredle on October 10, 2014, 10:51:22 AMOne of my favorite games growing up was called Space Colony and there were many different plants that would mess up colonies in different ways

Yay Space Colony. Biggest influence that convinced me to get Rimworld.

Maybe the fungus could spread in the sun, but slower. Make solar lamps effective at impeding it while not totally eliminating the threat.

+1 to space colony ref. Rimworld could take/learn a lot from it.

Still looking for a similar game to space colony and startopia :(

Halinder

Quote from: Wex on October 10, 2014, 10:52:29 AM
The problem is you can usually build large solar panels farm, large enough battery packs and there you have it. I have 7 sun lamps and I can make work both the crematorium and the smelter, WHILE charging the batteries. No pirate ever messes with solar panels. Fot stopping a fungus spreading you should then build one where the infestation is, and the problem is no more.
P.S. You can have the fungus as material for creating medikits once you have done the research and you mine it. The event of the fungus attacking your machinery should be random.

I was thinking more along the lines of fungus being stopped in 'brightly lit' (not lit) areas, going by the whole natural sunlight and sunlamps guarding away from fungus. And sure, you can use solar panels, but one of the great things about Rimworld is how one event effects so many little things. An eclipse would decimate your power grid if you relied on solar panels. A solar flare would prevent usage of sunlamps, thus allowing the fungus to grow out for a certain period of time whilst the grid is down. The event where a random piece of wiring explodes and drains out  all electricity would cause alarm as well.

As for fungus randomly attacking machinery, I was thinking more along the lines of areas with hydroponics trays that aren't properly lit might enable them to grow, and buildings aren't destroyed but blocked away. Also, it should spawn randomly inside those small rooms you find in caverns. The fungus itself, like fire and grass working in the current Rimworld, would not actually spread spores until fully grown, so it's not a massive issue. However, to put pressure on the colony spores that miss a tile and instead hit a colonist (firespread!) could cause light lung damage.

Wex

I thought machinery and power cables, because it's usually one of the most common thing to find into an underground base, but a lung infection from breathing spores sound very nasty indeed. Also, fungi should live on something to grow (fertile soil on Earth) but the idea of it feeding on metal (also your storage, if you have one underground; or raw, not mined yet) was to not add another "killing" mechanic to the game.
I guess it's up to Tynan decide  ;)
    Harlan Ellison

stefanstr

Tynan, please be reading this thread. The whole idea of hostile plants, fungus included, is simply excellent.

A non-military threat that would add so much to the game.

Halinder

Bumpity bumpness approves this message.

BassMonroe

Maybe an eclipse would cause the fungus to grow as all the map is then dark.
But yeah i like his idea, it reminds me of "Space Colony" back in the days when you had to get your flamethrower out and go weed hunting.
Sorry if the pictures to big :)

Xminor1

It would be nice to have a fungus among us.
Kill All Humans!

I know that I exist... do you?

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Xminor1

It would be nice to have a fungus among us.
Kill All Humans!

I know that I exist... do you?

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.