Why are meals cheaper when they are supposed to take MORE raw ingredients

Started by userfredle, September 06, 2014, 09:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

userfredle

As the meals state they should be costly and take alot of raw materials to make definitely the lavish meal, however they take half at about 10 units instead of the 20 it takes if they eat raw.

Am i understanding the meals wrong or is this a part of the game that hasn't been addressed yet

MajorFordson

I don't think the AMOUNT of food should figure in better meals.

To my mind, basic meals should only require one food type and no powered stove top. (unless it's meat I guess)

More advanced meals should simply require multiple ingredients, so two or more food types, as well as powered kitchen and the relevant skills of course.

userfredle

I feel like lavish meals would make sense to waste food, like for instance your eating lobster tails or sushi and just throwing the rest of it away. not that we literally are eating those in rim world but you get my point

MajorFordson

Not that it has anything to do with the discussion, but apparently up until the last 100 years, lobster was considered as a poverty food!

Goo Poni

Well a lavish meal uses 20 food anyway. 10 vegetarian and 10 meat, as opposed to a fine meal which uses 5 of each and a simple which uses 5 of any.

Xerberus86

Quote from: MajorFordson on September 07, 2014, 02:50:33 AM
Not that it has anything to do with the discussion, but apparently up until the last 100 years, lobster was considered as a poverty food!

i don't know anything about that but bathing was for the poor, rich / aristocratic people just used parfumes instead of taking a shower ;).

milon

Quote from: Goo Poni on September 07, 2014, 08:43:35 AM
Well a lavish meal uses 20 food anyway. 10 vegetarian and 10 meat, as opposed to a fine meal which uses 5 of each and a simple which uses 5 of any.

Does cooking skill have an effect on the amount of ingredients used?  I've never kept an eye on that, but it's possible the OP's colonist is a very skilled cook.

Mystic

I like this the way that it is. With "lavish" meals you are buying a stronger bonus to the emotional state of the colonist who eats it - the use of the extra ingredients is the price you pay for that bonus. If that wasn't the case, then no one would cook the middle level "fine" meals anymore once their cook could acheive the "lavish" meal. Actually, I was surprised that the  "lavish" meal doesn't have an additional requirement of three separate food types to distinguish it from the "fine" meal. I'd be okay with reducing the total amount requirement to 15 units (i.e., five units of each food type) if that were the case.

Maybe I just haven't had a cook of a high enough level to see what the OP was suggesting.

Goo Poni

Quote from: milon on September 07, 2014, 09:28:29 AM
Quote from: Goo Poni on September 07, 2014, 08:43:35 AM

Does cooking skill have an effect on the amount of ingredients used?  I've never kept an eye on that, but it's possible the OP's colonist is a very skilled cook.

Perhaps. I'm also playing with a mod (TTM) which may have shook things up a bit, but 10 generic meats and 10 generic vegetables still seems fairly expensive to me as it's meant to be. I've already killed all the deer on my map months ago and there is no wandering herd events that introduce a new populace of game when there is very little of it on the map. The only reason I can sustain it is because of a buzzant nest which I walled in so that they starve instead of ravage the map of any small plantlife and colonists can just wander over every once in a while and grab the corpses to butcher.

Leird

I'm looking forward to Tynan add'ing fishing to the game! So that it'll be easier to get meat for meals!

Xerberus86

Quote from: Leird on September 07, 2014, 01:20:21 PM
I'm looking forward to Tynan add'ing fishing to the game! So that it'll be easier to get meat for meals!

either that or remove the cannibalism mood debuff :P.

Leird

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 07, 2014, 01:31:38 PM

Hehe, that would work as well!

Goo Poni

Or perhaps instead be able to open up trades with the other colonies and have them come by and pick up/drop off stuff that's been bought and sold.

MajorFordson

I really hope corpses can be used for non-cannibal food paste. Any future sci-fi citizen should be fine with food that is completely reconstituted molecules. You may as well say that eating vegetables grown over a cemetery is cannibalism!

SSS

Quote from: MajorFordson on September 07, 2014, 09:58:00 PM

I really hope corpses can be used for non-cannibal food paste. Any future sci-fi citizen should be fine with food that is completely reconstituted molecules. You may as well say that eating vegetables grown over a cemetery is cannibalism!

People aren't totally logical in evaluating things like this. There's going to be people who are squicky about it even at that, even if nature does do the same thing over time. Plus, some might still object to that from a moral standpoint.