Nonlethal Alternatives/Aiming

Started by Shub-Niggurath, February 26, 2017, 01:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shub-Niggurath

"Oh hey my friend is having a mental break." "I don't want her to die, so why don't I shoot her in the face rather then shooting her legs or feet to make her fall over and get downed?"
"Oh hey my friend is having a mental break, why don't I destroy both her arms with this limestone club, and crush her eye?"
This really needs to stop. I cannot tell you how many times I've had a colonist go berserk, and I sent someone to suppress them, but oh no instead of deciding to be rational, and trying to incapacitate her, they attack her like shes the faction leader of the pirates.
I feel like Rim-world needs the ability to be able to assign colonists to different combat types. For example:
Nonlethal - Colonist will aim for incapitation and if they do to much damage to one body part, they will switch to an undamaged body part. Colonists can still miss these locations depending on their melee/shooting skill.
Lethal - Colonist will shoot to kill, aiming for crucial points such as the eye, head, brain, and heart. Colonists have a chance to miss these spots, this makes them focus those spots rather then only hit those spots.

BlueLance213

I used to have the same problem, but now I cant even get a minor break let alone a major one.

Although before that I had a solution to your problem, Get 2 colonists with no weapons to suppress the unruly individual, but you need to make sure they dont have ridiculous melee or enhanced arms etc. They will usually down the Pawn without any serious injury that isnt recoverable and they usually suffer minor bruising.

This will work even if they are wielding a gun etc because they will engage in CQC when a pawn is directly in front of them. Unless they have a melee weapon.

Limdood

Except....its more along the lines of "My friend is having a mental break, AND IS COMING AT ME WITH SINGLEMINDED INTENT TO KILL ME! OMG OMG OMG OMG I BETTER DO SOMETHING!"

When you're swinging at someone with intent to subdue WHILE they're attempting to KILL YOU, yeah, aiming is a bit under "keep them from killing me" on the priority list.

BlueLance213

Quote from: Limdood on February 27, 2017, 11:30:07 AM
Except....its more along the lines of "My friend is having a mental break, AND IS COMING AT ME WITH SINGLEMINDED INTENT TO KILL ME! OMG OMG OMG OMG I BETTER DO SOMETHING!"

When you're swinging at someone with intent to subdue WHILE they're attempting to KILL YOU, yeah, aiming is a bit under "keep them from killing me" on the priority list.

Almost wet myself laughing at that XD

Unfortunately even a single punch can kill someone if it hits the right place, again goes with shooting their legs, those arteries are no joke, burst one of them and its game over unless you are lucky.

Limdood

from a practical perspective, there are 2 points here:

1) if a colonist has gone so far that they go berserk, then you as the player have let things go so far that there is hardly grounds for complaining about a casualty.  they are in full killer mode, so them or someone else dying is a very real possibility.  If extreme berserk breaks could be RELIABLY suppressed with little to no risk, then they would no longer be the extreme worst end of the mood punishment spectrum.

2) you can REDUCE the likelihood of death by using high volume, low damage attacks.  machine pistols, shivs, wood logs, beer bottles, and fists are all very good for racking up high amounts of pain, which is your most likely avenue to incapacitate without killing.  Molotovs/incendiary launchers are also decent, as burns cause high pain for low damage (though they can damage eyes, at least the brain is safe) - but fires can be very tricky to manage and control the collateral damage.

You have to accept that IF a colonist goes berserk and you aren't both able and willing to simply have everyone else run away and avoid them, then you stand a good chance of having a death....you can reduce the chances of a death, but you can't remove them, and in my opinion, that is as it should be.