[1.1] Misc. Robots++

Started by alaestor, September 16, 2016, 12:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alaestor

Quote from: gaultesian on June 04, 2017, 06:37:23 AM
Love the mod, and I have tried out all of the builder bots now (I to V) via dev mode, and they seem to consistently create either shoddy or awful products.  Is this me (I am building them before the tech is researched, or I am providing them with the setup of the game via Edb)?  I love the designs and the usefulness of the bots, but I am wondering if something is amiss.

I'm aware of this bug. They also fail quite frequently, regardless of skill level, and are quite slow.
I'm at a loss on this one. Not sure how to fix that or even what the cause is.

It may have something to do with the parent mod and how bots are now modified animals, or it could be something I've overlooked entirely. Really not sure.

gaultesian

It makes life...interesting:  bots are useful, but they are not AI-smart....I would suspect this would be more realistic in my mind.

Canute

Quote from: gaultesian on June 04, 2017, 09:06:44 AM
It makes life...interesting:  bots are useful, but they are not AI-smart....I would suspect this would be more realistic in my mind.
Yes and no.
A bot should follow a blueprint much better then a pawn could do and create a perfect product much easyier then a pawn.
But a bot would lack at doing something else, ne just would create a perfect (awful) copy of an art.

But from balance reason, the strenght of the bots should be doing things without quality.

alaestor

R++ has been updated to mv2.0.3
This should fix the builder bot being horrible at building
Check out the changelog in the main post for more details.

old post:
---
Frankly I've been trying to ignore most reports over the last day or so because I'm just trying to watch SG1 and relax (and not push an update every hour)...

But someone brought something to my attention ...

Fix coming soon -.-

gaultesian

Excellent!  Release the hounds (omni bots!)!!!!

alaestor

So; I need some feedback. Please take a moment to read.

In A14 or A15 i wanted to introduce the OmniBot and a few people said they wouldn't want it in the main mod due to how strong it is, so I kept it commented out and didn't upload the textures. Now that it's released, I've encountered a problem... People are requesting a compatibility patch for Quarry so that builder bots can work the quarry. It's easy enough to implement, but the problem is twofold;

1) If I make a functional-compatibility patch for one mod then ofcourse it's to be expected for others (depending on difficulty)

2) If I keep OmniBot separate from R++ then I would need to upload a compatibility patch for both R++ and OmniBot, meaning double the work and maintenance.

So, my question is; should I merge the OmniBot into R++? Doing so will make it much easier to make simple compatibility patches. I will likely not do so if they remain separate...

Cabdono

Quote from: alaestor on June 05, 2017, 08:17:51 PM
So; I need some feedback. Please take a moment to read.

In A14 or A15 i wanted to introduce the OmniBot and a few people said they wouldn't want it in the main mod due to how strong it is, so I kept it commented out and didn't upload the textures. Now that it's released, I've encountered a problem... People are requesting a compatibility patch for Quarry so that builder bots can work the quarry. It's easy enough to implement, but the problem is twofold;

1) If I make a functional-compatibility patch for one mod then ofcourse it's to be expected for others (depending on difficulty)

2) If I keep OmniBot separate from R++ then I would need to upload a compatibility patch for both R++ and OmniBot, meaning double the work and maintenance.

So, my question is; should I merge the OmniBot into R++? Doing so will make it much easier to make simple compatibility patches. I will likely not do so if they remain separate...

If people get the merged mod and complain or think it's op, then they shouldn't use it, it's not like they need you to limit them so they can't abuse it, etc. So imo you should go with whatever is easier to maintain  and manage for you.

AngleWyrm

So it looks like the principle complaint against a merge is "Omnibots OP!1!!!" A possible solution to that little...problem is to make a mod options toggle to disable Omnibot content. Feel free to label it "Omnibots OP!1!!!"

If it seems there are adjustments that could be made that appeal to only a portion of the gaming population, or that there may be different audience types across a spectrum, externalize such settings to xml so they can be patched to address individual taste.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

GrumpyProgrammer

Quote from: alaestor on June 05, 2017, 08:17:51 PM

If it would make things easier on you to merge them, then I say do it. Those who do not want OmniBot can simply ignore it. Alternatively, you could add a mod settings field that just disables the OmniBot research for those who don't want it.

alaestor

I won't be doing anything about it for the next couple days and will continue to inquire for feedback. So far it seems that the vocal opinions have changed from when I originally proposed the OmniBot. I'll look into the mod config options at a later time. I'm leaning towards merging them and beginning compatibility-layer support for various mods (including Quarry). Even if I don't go the mod-config route, I believe OmniBot is balanced in line with the rest of the mod (Omni is quite expensive and time-consuming to produce). I may just adopt an "if you don't like it, don't research it" policy.

Thanks for the feedback and opinions so far.

gaultesian

Keep the omnibot in the mod.  This has nothing to do with us (users), but for you (developer).  As we roll from A17 and onwards to A18 and beyond, you will have to continue to update this mod (assuming you continue on with the mod as a going concern).  Your ease of use, and your time and effort outweighs our use of your mod.

And besides, like all things in the game, if you don't like, it you don't have to build it.  I use Rimsenal, and all the other Rimsenal mods, but I find some of the larger weapons op.....I simply do not either build them, or better yet, I don't research them.  Keeps my game nice and happy, while I still get the use of the other Rimsenal weapons and gear.

Exoray

If I'm being completely honest I would say do what's easier for you.
At the end of the day it is your mod and you can choose to do what you like.
You will never please everyone (Unless you made a ton of different versions)
As said before if people think Omni Bot is too OP then just don't use that Bot its just that simple.
A option to disable it is just more time and code even if it is a simple addition, No one is forcing you to use any/all content in any mod you download.

z1ppeh

How do we get rid of robot corpses now?  I can't find a way to cremate or break them down and they don't class as a mech either?

alaestor

Quote from: z1ppeh on June 06, 2017, 07:34:54 AM
How do we get rid of robot corpses now?  I can't find a way to cremate or break them down and they don't class as a mech either?

This is behavior in the parent mod that hasn't been implemented yet. I've seen people saying you can sell them to traders, but other than that they kind of just take up space.

Ashardalon411

I'm totally agree with Anglewyrm, Seriously Alaestor, merge it Asap ! Coding need a lot of time and patience, don't waste your short timelife in a totaly waste of time ! we already have the security of the research for that. If really its a problem, make a mod option, but merge it ! ;-)

other subject: I have experienced an fps Issue due to your idle bots, its appear with clarity with 10/15 bots idle or more, and not when they are running after stuff. the solution its to desactivate them manually when they are idle but if you can optimisate them for they go at their base to re charge when they are idle after ( maybe after 3 seconds of try catch some task) it can be SOOOO nice !

(i'm french mother speaker so if you need help for trad your mod in french i could help you if you want ;) )