Family Problems

Started by JRHaggs, July 25, 2016, 05:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRHaggs

I spammed the random button until I had two parents and a daughter in the normal 3 person start.

The first arrival to the budding colony was, perversely, the ex-wife of the father. Okaaay....

Another couple of arrivals later, we're up to six colonists, and we're humming along nicely. Massive stock of pemmican. Flourishing industry and farming. Very stable. Very nice. Defenses seem tight. We have put down all incursions with little trouble.

Then, out of the blue, the father divorces the mother. I guess it's possible it's a coincidence, but methinks he had some rekindled feelings for the ex-. This sends the wife into a nasty depression spiral, amplified by a psychic hum. Before long she's attacked our two more recent arrivals. Hospitalizing them both.

A blight had taken the colony's crops right as the harvest was about to come in, so medical supplies were at critical lows. The two beat down colonists die of infection a little while later.

Well, the daughter had become friendly with one of the two now-dead colonists. So she loses her shit, and starts beating on the pet dog. The first ex-wife of her father beats the hell out of her. Shortly thereafter, the daughter dies.

The father then drops into a disastrous depressive rage. Minutes later, everyone is either dead or bleeding out on the ground.

So. Dude wrecks everyone because his daughter died, which only happened because he divorced his wife, which seems like it only happened because his ex- showed up.

10/10. Would watch my family fall apart and die on a remote planet again.

Shian

*claps* Tantrum spirals are the best way to die.

That Homeless Guy

This is gold I love this game. I wonder how much influence the story teller has on relationship factors or is it possible this is all just an amazing flow of events driven by the storyteller throwing up an ex.

JRHaggs

I expect it's mainly the human impulse to make sense out of nonsense. But still, it was too lovely a coincidence.

I truly love Dwarf Fortress, but I find it easier to feel connected to my colonists in RimWorld because there are fewer of them. The individual "personalities" stand out a little clearer when there are five or six little buggers knocking around rather than dozens.

That Homeless Guy

Quote from: JRHaggs on July 26, 2016, 11:28:29 AM
I expect it's mainly the human impulse to make sense out of nonsense. But still, it was too lovely a coincidence.

I truly love Dwarf Fortress, but I find it easier to feel connected to my colonists in RimWorld because there are fewer of them. The individual "personalities" stand out a little clearer when there are five or six little buggers knocking around rather than dozens.

I know what you mean. I'm building a dynamically generated game myself and I am extending the "dynamic" part to almost every aspect of the game. One of the systems I am developing is actually partially to combat that issue and involves Dynamic quests and towns being built with completely procedural characters. One of the coolest features is not only that it works on Items like weapons and armour it can generate nicknames and post/pre names for their name parts for example Taking my own name and that of my friend I can select pressures to force a name update. So "Goldilocks and the three bears" becomes "Lukeilocks and the three Homeless Joe's"

The Idea being that the characters can have changes to their names over time based on events or accomplishments making them more memorable by how they gained a nickname like "Twinkie" or they were born Ivan and later became "Ivan the terrible" through some chain of events and eventually becoming "Terrible Ivan the Destroyer" Or even "Ivan the Terrible Coward" or even "Terrible Ivan the Great" etc.. These names may even trigger traits to be created down the line too.

Similarly if it were a tool or weapon it could change the name based on the tools use. You could jokingly change the name of the players sword or pick to "Shovel" If they repeatedly used it for digging. Or "Venom" if you used it to kill allot of spiders or snakes. Venom might even gain a poison chance property from it and someday become known as a Legendary item. I love this kind of stuff and I feel it's needed more in games these days.

Pickleinthahouse

A_Soft_Machine_Man

I've noticed that the longer a colony goes on, the more likely there is to be family drama that would make Jerry Springer blush. By the tenth year in nearly every one of my colonists had been forced to kill their raider aunt-cousin-grandmother-ex-spouse.