3 Travel related problems with simple solution

Started by Pirate333, November 26, 2017, 05:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirate333

Hi, I just read the changes of Alpha 18 and was very disappointed, to not find these. If they were just not mentioned, feel free to correct me ;)

1. Drop pod usefullness

Problem: In endgame it's nice to travel long distances, but its extremely complicated to come back. Which makes it more usefull to travel by foot in the first place, save resources and bring more packing animals

Solution: Make them 2-way, not 1-way

2. Drop pod/caravan loading time

Problem: It takes ages, especially if it's a small caravan with many items

Solution 1: Let hauling animals participate in loading

Solution 2:  Form the caravan/drop pod instantly, like after map encounters (I know, the game would be a bit more easy, but I don't consider it as fun to watch my colonists loading stuff for 12 ingame hours)

Solution 2 would also solve  the following problem, but in case of refusing it:

3. Caravan loading position

Problem: It is very unlogical and often far away from my storages. Several times it was on my wooden spikes, so even my colonists or animals got hurt

Solution: Set a caravan loading position like the marriage spot. And forbid allys to walk above spikes, as long as there is any other way

asanbr

you can do 2-way drop pods by dropping some steel and chemfuel and build another drop pod thing on the spot where you land. I always do this.

Expensive in terms of resources, but not at all hard.

2-way would be op imo.

And there is a caravan spot you can put. At least there was in A17 and I don't see why it would have been removed.

JimJammer89

You can use drop pods both ways, if you establish a colony, build some drop pods, use them, then abandon the new "colony." I recommend the mod Set Up Camp for this, as it allows one to generate small encounter maps while caravaning, which takes up far fewer resources than generating a full-fledged colony map.
Link: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29054.0
Quote from: TitaniumTurtle on August 31, 2015, 11:57:18 AM
Who needs a force field when you can have a chicken field?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: asanbr on November 26, 2017, 04:40:34 PM
you can do 2-way drop pods by dropping some steel and chemfuel and build another drop pod thing on the spot where you land. I always do this.

Expensive in terms of resources, but not at all hard.

2-way would be op imo.

And there is a caravan spot you can put. At least there was in A17 and I don't see why it would have been removed.

That is a mod .. similiar to the trading spot .. which is also an Item that I miss.

The two way method of building does not work if you jump directly to your trading partner.

A solution for this would be the ability to buy pod transport from industrial colonies.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Slimy_Slider

Now I want a new event where people come to your colony and request to be launched to a particular place, with the option to fire them to some other spot or sabotage their pod.

Using another factions pods would be cool. Imagine going to an outlander town and paying to be launched back to your colony. With a random chance of either a pod malfunction or having them fire you somewhere else, depending on your relationship with them.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.